U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,507 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Reputation: 23357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'd bet most people here have worked retail at some point in the past (including myself) and most don't agree with you that it's okay to keep $100 found on the floor of the store you work in. Or that store policies typically allow for it.
You really need to quit putting words in my mouth. I have said that she should report finding it and that the ethical thing to do is to turn it in. I have also said that I have never seen a store policy that keeping found money is grounds for termination. That is a fact, and there is a difference in being a cashier who knows diddly about what goes on in the office or what the official store policy is, and being a mgr who actually handles situations involving found money and belongings and has a written policy to follow.
Finding money and keeping it is unethical, but it is not grounds for termination, not in any company policy I have ever read. If you have proof to the contrary please feel free to post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,507 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Reputation: 23357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
My original point was about the $100 cash. I would suspect cash is less likely to turned in that keys, ID, etc. So, if someone lost cash and simply called the store and inquired and was told no cash was turned in, I doubt there would be a record. In fact I have never had anyone ask my name and contact number when I inquired about lost items. I believe you that you keep records but I suspect more likely than not cash is simply not turned in so there is little data on whether or not the owner called to inquirer. To your point, some may not bother thinking it's gone forever. Either way, no excuse for not turning in.
Obviously we can't keep record of things we aren't aware of. I'm simply stating that when we do have money turned in there is rarely any sort of call inquiring about it. It is extremely rare that the found money is ever given to the person that lost it rather than the person who turned it in. No need to turn this into anything more complicated than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,157 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Reputation: 24203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
We aren't talking about forgery.
Ah, quibbling over details. What we ARE talking about is mimicking dishonest behavior just because, and you know it quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 PM
 
18,889 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Reputation: 8073
Most employees are honest, a fact which is refreshing after reading this thread, that may get forgotten by this OP's actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,157 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Reputation: 24203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Of course they'll try to retrace where they lost it, at the very least.

That $100 bill probably wasn't on the floor very long at all! Someone had lost it within the past 5 minutes or so.

If I worked in a store, the first thing I'd do is turn it in and try to find out if it came out of someone's cash register.
Which is why the right thing to do is turn it in so the person who did lose it has a chance to reclaim it. If they don't, the person who attempted to do the right thing may end up rewarded. I found folded bills (decent amount like $50-$100) dropped on a park pathway; clean, dry, obviously shortly before. Turned it in to a visitor center, they kept it for a while, no one claimed it, and it was returned to me. Nice. I ended up with some extra money...but without guilt, anxiety, or shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM
 
821 posts, read 214,967 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Obviously we can't keep record of things we aren't aware of. I'm simply stating that when we do have money turned in there is rarely any sort of call inquiring about it. It is extremely rare that the found money is ever given to the person that lost it rather than the person who turned it in. No need to turn this into anything more complicated than that.


I well understood your comment but it was a generalization only based on what is turned in:

"but for whatever reason nobody really ever calls over the lost money for the most part"

Characterizing my rebuttal as turning this into anything more complicated than that is dismissive and false. You cannot simply extrapolate your experience based on a very small sample size (turned in money) to the statement you made.

Many of these posts try to rationalize not turning money in and one of the arguments is that people won't claim lost money. I believe it important to point out that someone may go back and look for the money and/or call -- no one really knows how many. In this particular case, someone may have inquired but since the OP did not turn the money in, who knows.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-29-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,157 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Reputation: 24203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
COMPLETELY different circumstances.
Not really. The details of why money you aren't entitled to ended up in your hands happen to be different. The correct answer is still the same. Attempt to return it to where it belongs. Sometimes it turns out to be possible, sometimes it doesn't. The thought and the attempt are what matter. You either understand this or you don't. You might get away with being dishonest one time but chances are this self-serving deceitful way of thinking will come back to bite you big time. You won't know until it happens and there will be no one to blame but yourself. Turn the situation around. Imagine yourself the one who lost whatever it was. How does it feel to get your property back because someone else was considerate? How does it feel to know someone ripped you off instead?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-29-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:40 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,559 posts, read 3,665,665 times
Reputation: 19612
A friend of mine found a lost wallet with over $1,000 in it. She turned it in to the rightful owner. So, it's possible to do the right thing instead of making rationalizations, justifications or excuses. In her situation, it was easy to find the owner because his D.L. was in the wallet; but she could just as easily have decided to keep the cash and throw the wallet out. Nobody saw her find it. But she did the right thing because it's called having morals, standards and ethics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM
 
20,593 posts, read 16,645,141 times
Reputation: 38682
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This thread makes me feel terrific knowing cashier jobs will mainly be going the way of the dinosaur, with self checkouts instead.

Machines are not dishonest. I use them wherever available, and avoid stores without self checkout options.
Chances are the next customer would have picked it up if OP didn’t. Like I said she should t have, but simply having automated checkout is not going to mean that some who drops money is going to get it back. It won’t increase the odds of that in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,507 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Reputation: 23357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
[/b]

I well understood your comment but it was a generalization only based on what is turned in:

"but for whatever reason nobody really ever calls over the lost money for the most part"

Characterizing my rebuttal as turning this into anything more complicated than that is dismissive and false.

Many of these posts try to rationalize not turning money in and one of the arguments is that people won't claim lost money. I believe it important to point out that someone may go back and look for the money and/or call -- no one really knows how many. In this particular case, someone may have inquired but since the OP did not turn the money in, who knows.
I hope that's not a reference to my post, since I am claiming that to be the case. It is not a justification for keeping found money, but is simply a fact that I think OP needs to be aware of. She may be worried about having to come up with money to replace what she has already spent, but in my experience I find the chances of that happening to be quite small and therefore not something to worry over excessively. Certainly it's not a reason to not report the money.
People are coming here and stating things as if they are facts when in my direct experience as a retail manager I have NEVER seen or heard of, and this is based off some second or third hand "I heard" nonsense. And they're using that nonsense to scare the OP into thinking she's going to get fired for not following some mythical policy that requires she give the money to the store because it 'belongs' to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top