Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Chances are the next customer would have picked it up if OP didn’t. Like I said she should t have, but simply having automated checkout is not going to mean that some who drops money is going to get it back. It won’t increase the odds of that in the slightest.
Still prefer always honest machines, Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
On a side note there have been a few times I have forgotten to retrieve my 'cash back' from a machine. It's always the u-scan person who calls after me to come back to get it, never the machine.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:06 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,593,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I hope that's not a reference to my post, since I am claiming that to be the case. It is not a justification for keeping found money, but is simply a fact that I think OP needs to be aware of. She may be worried about having to come up with money to replace what she has already spent, but in my experience I find the chances of that happening to be quite small and therefore not something to worry over excessively. Certainly it's not a reason to not report the money.
People are coming here and stating things as if they are facts when in my direct experience as a retail manager I have NEVER seen or heard of, and this is based off some second or third hand "I heard" nonsense. And they're using that nonsense to scare the OP into thinking she's going to get fired for not following some mythical policy that requires she give the money to the store because it 'belongs' to them.
That makes more sense. I didn't want to give posters some rationale for keeping money since most people won't call or claim it. thanks.

P.S. THe second bolded parts was for my emphasis.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 PM

938 posts, read 445,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I can understand keeping a small amount of found money, but that ^ doesn't qualify. You took property out of someone else's vehicle. That's the very definition of stealing.

You didn't "find" the money, you took it.
... and I'd do it again before the first cop on the scene got it.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They’re not always honest. Been many times in life I put my money in and the bag of chips got stuck in the machine and I got cheated.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Going through someone else's car and stealing from it is just slimy. It's also categorized as a crime. There could be jail time for it.
You should call the police here in Philadelphia and report that I stole money from a car thief.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:03 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A friend of mine found a lost wallet with over $1,000 in it. She turned it in to the rightful owner. So, it's possible to do the right thing instead of making rationalizations, justifications or excuses. In her situation, it was easy to find the owner because his D.L. was in the wallet; but she could just as easily have decided to keep the cash and throw the wallet out. Nobody saw her find it. But she did the right thing because it's called having morals, standards and ethics.
I've also found a wallet and returned it.

Years ago, my hub found a cell phone in another state when he was delivering cars there. It was at a hotel he stayed at. He ended up finding the owner by going thru the contacts. I don't recall if he did that while at the hotel or after he came home.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
You should call the police here in Philadelphia and report that I stole money from a car thief.
You don't know whose money you stole. It could have easily belonged to the person who owned the car. The thief might have overlooked it. Actually, I should say, "the car thief" might have overlooked it. You are the thief who found it and stole it.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
You don't know whose money you stole. It could have easily belonged to the person who owned the car. The thief might have overlooked it. Actually, I should say, "the car thief" might have overlooked it. You are the thief who found it and stole it.
Nah. The way the cash was situated, it belonged to the last person to exit the vehicle, which was the thief.
I have no remorse about 'stealing' from a car thief or getting to it before a cop.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I don't want to. That is on your conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment