U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM

940 posts, read 210,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't want to. That is on your conscience.
Doesn't bother me one bit.

Again: What would you do if you found a fifty dollar bill in a stadium full of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 PM

7,152 posts, read 1,797,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
So not turning in the money is better than a harmless lie and returning the money???? Just take a chance the person who dropped the money . . . What if someone did call the store about the lost money and was told nothing was turned in. What if the OP was reported by her co-workers and her manager and/or security has viewed the video but is checking with HR on actions to take.

What is being lost on taking the moral stance about telling a lie is that some people will not do the right thing if the perceived consequences are too great (getting fired) and they are too frightened. If telling a harmless lie mitigates the potential consequences (getting fired) and will get someone to do the right thing (turning in the money) than so be it.

Although beside the point, do you really think someone who lost $100 won't miss it and try to retrace where they lost it?

The time to return the money was right after it was found. Once that ship has sailed fabricating some ridiculous excuse for not returning the money in the first place might get her fired when in fact they may have no idea about any money being lost. In fact we really do not know how long that $100 was on the floor. Unless they have video of her picking up the money and keeping it they cannot do much.

If she wants to come clean, I am fine with that. Let the chips fall where they may. This is an entry level job in a strong economy. Lots more like this.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:56 PM

18,902 posts, read 7,360,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
. This is an entry level job in a strong economy. Lots more like this.
Not really. These are the jobs being automated, out of existence.

Our local mall now has converted about 20% of sq footage to a fitness center and a Dave & Busters, with at least half that still vacant all around the rest of the mall. US1 near me has a tremendous % of vacant, ex retail buildings.

Retail and fast food, formerly great dime a dozen jobs for the unskilled, are now much harder to come by jobs across much of this nation.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,636 posts, read 3,682,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Doesn't bother me one bit.

Again: What would you do if you found a fifty dollar bill in a stadium full of people?
I would ask anyone around me if they dropped it, of course.

But you can't even compare that to going into parked cars and taking cash out of them. That's jail time.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM

7,152 posts, read 1,797,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not really. These are the jobs being automated, out of existence.

Our local mall now has converted about 20% of sq footage to a fitness center and a Dave & Busters, with at least half that still vacant all around the rest of the mall. US1 near me has a tremendous % of vacant, ex retail buildings.

Retail and fast food, formerly great dime a dozen jobs for the unskilled, are now much harder to come by jobs across much of this nation.

Not true.

Where I am all the entry level retail and fast food places have help wanted signs out front. Yes malls are dying and automation is inevitable but it will take time. If one is going to quit their near minimum wage job this is not a bad time to do it.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:36 PM

18,902 posts, read 7,360,154 times
Quote:
Not true.

Where I am all the entry level retail and fast food places have help wanted signs out front. Yes malls are dying and automation is inevitable but it will take time. If one is going to quit their near minimum wage job this is not a bad time to do it.
Glad Oklahoma has lots of these mw jobs.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 PM

20,625 posts, read 16,666,728 times
Quote:

But you can't even compare that to going into parked cars and taking cash out of them. That's jail time.
Someone’s going to say yes whether they dropped it or not. It doesn’t sound like anyone was near her when it happened in any case. So if no one else is there would you do?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:04 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,549,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
She stole $100. I refuse to encourage that type of behavior just because she's stressed over it. Apparently she isn't stressed enough to fess up and return the money.

I agree. OP is a moron, a thief, a liar, and someone who completely refuses to use apostrophes. I'm done with her self indulgent guilt ridden misery theatrics.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:33 PM

827 posts, read 217,930 times
Quote:
The time to return the money was right after it was found. Once that ship has sailed fabricating some ridiculous excuse for not returning the money in the first place might get her fired when in fact they may have no idea about any money being lost. In fact we really do not know how long that $100 was on the floor. Unless they have video of her picking up the money and keeping it they cannot do much.

If she wants to come clean, I am fine with that. Let the chips fall where they may. This is an entry level job in a strong economy. Lots more like this.
This makes no sense.

The OP already stated her co-workers may have witnessed the incident and it may be on video. THere is also the possibility that whoever lost the money may report it. There are three possibilities. Given that, she is better getting in front of the situation. Since she is frightened of the consequences of getting fired, it's less likely to happen if she self-reports and gives an explanation. So long as the excuse is plausible, it will most likely be accepted and no harm no foul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:33 PM

940 posts, read 210,485 times
Quote:

You're funny!
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment