U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

27 posts, read 12,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're in the clear. But ask yourself, is your reputation worth $100?

If you got fired, you would probably lose more than the $100 you pocketed.
I know its not worth it and i wont ever make a stupid decision like that ever again.

Im still being cautious just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:37 PM

10,582 posts, read 14,379,099 times
Yeah, you're in the clear. Was that your only concern? No moral dilemma, just self preservation?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM

27 posts, read 12,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, you're in the clear. Was that your only concern? No moral dilemma, just self preservation?
I know, i know. I made a really bad decision.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM

7,177 posts, read 1,813,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
That's how I saw it, the lesser of two evils -- a harmless lie and returning the money. (No proof that she would be fired or say nothing; do not return the money and hope it is not discovered (No proof that she wouldn't be fired.) I highly doubt if she returned the money the next day and said she made a mistake and thought the money was hers (hardly a consequential lie) and wanted to return it, that she would be fired. On the other hand, she says nothing and risks she was observed, she would more likely be fired.

You are the one making moral judgements -- what I may teach my kids; the morality of what the OP did. Please show me where I made a moral judgement.

Your use of the term HARMLESS LIE would be the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I never stated that I would not take it in the first place. It wouldn't be helpful to the OP as it is too late for that. I am simply pointing out to you that your statements are scanctimonious.

OP, I can understand what you did in a weak, unthinking moment and may not be comfortable with what I suggested so I am certainly not steadfast that you proffer that excuse (particularly at this late date). I have no experience in retail so you may you should check on the stores lost items policies.

Good idea to check the policy.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM

858 posts, read 225,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would not self report. People don’t look at the videos unless there’s an incident. They only remain for about 48 hours or so. If hey saw her she’d know by now. She self reports they’re going to fire her on the spot.OP just keep quiet and do better next time.
It's been several days since I posted that advice initially which was with 24 hours of the incident.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 PM

178 posts, read 72,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
You know what the right thing to do is. But you want the money. When working there, how long does it take to make a $100, compared to how much you will lose, in the months looking for a job.
Get a grip. The OP works as a drug store clerk and needs money to fix the car to get TO that job. Finders keepers. The OP spent that $100 to fix the car!! Not to buy luxuries.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Recently, during check out at a self checkout at a grocery store, I requested $200 cash back on my debit card. I was distracted when there was a problem processing the order. The cashier came by and fixed the technical issue and I left without my money. I realized it when I got home.

My husband went back to the store and spoke to the manager. The manager played the store video and noted that the customer behind me pocketed the cash. The store gave my husband $200 because he said the issue with the machine caused the distraction. High end store. High end income area.

Some people are rotten thieves who have no respect for themselves or others.
This is not a high end store. The OP is hardly a high income earner. She has a drug store clerical job. $100 is a big deal and was used to fix a car needed to get to work! She/he didn't steal. She found the money on the floor. I am just stunned how many people suggest turning it in to the manager who could potentially pocket it. Do you think the manager would put the money in the register? If so, how will the overage be explained? Would the manager pin the money to the cork board in hopes of giving it to someone who comes back saying they've lost it?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
So i asked my shift lead was our boss there because i needed pto for my call off. She was there and already done it. I texted my boss thank you and she replied no problem. So idk if shes playing it cool until she sees me or im in the clear.
It's been a couple of days. Nobody came back looking for the money. The registers do not show any shortage. It is over.

I'd just say next time just don't pick up the money or give it to a needy person/charity if you feel really guilty.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Moral dilemma? Amazing how many people are willing to crucify somebody for finding $100 and keeping it to fix the car.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:18 PM

10,582 posts, read 14,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Get a grip. The OP works as a drug store clerk and needs money to fix the car to get TO that job. Finders keepers. The OP spent that $100 to fix the car!! Not to buy luxuries.
No, not finders keepers. For all anyone knows that money might have been needed by someone in just as dire straights as the OP, doesn't make a difference what the OP spent it on.
If OP had taken the high ground she would either have seen the money returned to the rightful owner, or she would have waited a few weeks and had the money returned to her free and clear with no guilt, no worries. Either one of those is better than the stress and the worry and the guilt she went through with the path she chose to take. Lesson learned the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Moral dilemma? Amazing how many people are willing to crucify somebody for finding $100 and keeping it to fix the car.
Yeah, moral dilemma. Keeping something of value that doesn't belong to you. Not knowing if the person that lost it will come looking for it, and not knowing how much the loss might affect them. Maybe that was grocery money for a week for a single mom, or heart medicine for an elderly patient on a fixed income, or part of the rent money, or whatever. What's with the assumption that the need of whoever finds it trumps that of whoever lost it? Even if it fell out of the pocket of someone with plenty of money, or it was ill gotten drug money or whatever, the point is that it's not something that the OP should keep without trying to find the rightful owner. It doesn't belong to them. But I get that people who haven't learned that by second grade will probably never 'get it'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment