U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM

172 posts, read 70,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, not finders keepers. For all anyone knows that money might have been needed by someone in just as dire straights as the OP, doesn't make a difference what the OP spent it on.
If OP had taken the high ground she would either have seen the money returned to the rightful owner, or she would have waited a few weeks and had the money returned to her free and clear with no guilt, no worries. elong to them. But I get that people who haven't learned that by second grade will probably never 'get it'.
There is no rightful owner.
She would not have had the money returned to her in a few weeks because it is not hers.

Those preaching higher morals and better standards are no better than anybody else here and would probably not even behave according to the standards they impose on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,469 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
There is no rightful owner.
She would not have had the money returned to her in a few weeks because it is not hers.

Those preaching higher morals and better standards are no better than anybody else here and would probably not even behave according to the standards they impose on others.
LOL, been in the same shoes as the OP, had myself a nice crisp $100 bill after a two week waiting period, stress free, guilt free.

Rightful owner- the person who dropped it
It becomes hers if the rightful owner doesn't show up within a specified period of time to claim it.
You realize that this isn't something made up right, that this is how it actually works?

Some people don't have a clue.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM

20,549 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
It's been several days since I posted that advice initially which was with 24 hours of the incident.

Then if no one said anything you're in the clear IMO. Those cameras are up so that if there is an incident, someone uses a fake prescription and runs out when caught, or holds up the store, or they suspect the pharmacist is shorting people and stealing pills, they can go back and look at the tape and see. They don't have someone staring at them all day. Chances they saw that one moment are small, and like you said you were fiddling in your purse so it could look like you dropped it. In any case, the video is not kept more than a couple days.

I think you learned a lesson, nothing is worth so much fear and anxiety! Like I said, I once turned in $20 I found in a change slot in the self-checkout, and they said I could have it in 3 days if no one claimed it. They later said someone did, but I feel sure the lady I gave it to just pocketed in after I left. I actually felt kind of stupid for turning it in. Most people are not going to call a store asking if they found cash they will just assume it's gone, or more likely, not even know where it fell out. It's one thing if it's a wallet or credit card or purse, people WILL call for that, and it is much likelier they can find who it belongs to.

Not that you shoild have done it, especially where you work, but I think most people would have done the same. I once found $20 on a bush while walking past a motel....there is no way to tell whose it was. This is not like stealing IMO, though it was poor judgement. The person who said she'd ask everyone in the store if they dropped it, IMO every person would say yes, that might be a nice gesture, but it's not going to get the money back to the rightful owner. The person most likely dropped it while checking out and is long gone from the store.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM

799 posts, read 211,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Then if no one said anything you're in the clear IMO. Those cameras are up so that if there is an incident, someone uses a fake prescription and runs out when caught, or holds up the store, or they suspect the pharmacist is shorting people and stealing pills, they can go back and look at the tape and see. They don't have someone staring at them all day. Chances they saw that one moment are small, and like you said you were fiddling in your purse so it could look like you dropped it. In any case, the video is not kept more than a couple days.

I think you learned a lesson, nothing is worth so much fear and anxiety! Like I said, I once turned in $20 I found in a change slot in the self-checkout, and they said I could have it in 3 days if no one claimed it. They later said someone did, but I feel sure the lady I gave it to just pocketed in after I left. I actually felt kind of stupid for turning it in. Most people are not going to call a store asking if they found cash they will just assume it's gone, or more likely, not even know where it fell out. It's one thing if it's a wallet or credit card or purse, people WILL call for that, and it is much likelier they can find who it belongs to.

Not that you shoild have done it, especially where you work, but I think most people would have done the same. I once found $20 on a bush while walking past a motel....there is no way to tell whose it was. This is not like stealing IMO, though it was poor judgement. The person who said she'd ask everyone in the store if they dropped it, IMO every person would say yes, that might be a nice gesture, but it's not going to get the money back to the rightful owner. The person most likely dropped it while checking out and is long gone from the store.
I don't get the commentary about the likelihood of someone calling the store. Even if it's 5% (and I likely would be in that 5% trying to find my money), don't they deserve the chance to get their money back?

So many posts about most people would have done the same, the manager will probably keep it, people probably won't call to claim it, everyone would say the money was theirs. What is this based on? Do you believe there are no honest people in this world? It just sounds like rationalization.

I don't base my actions on probability as I think everyone deserves the opportunity to get lost money back. And, it would bother me to take advantage of some one's loss without a reasonable effort to return it to them. Yes, I would try to insure there are proper procedures and documentation. It's not because I would feel like a fool if the manager kept the money but rather that the manager didn't insure it went to its rightful owner.

An amount of $100 I would probably turn over to the local Police as I believe there are protocols for this and advise management that the Police has the money for safekeeping. Is everything foolproof; no but someone's loss won't be for lack of my best effort.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,680,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I have found modest amounts of $$$ twice in the past decade -- once in a underground garage hallway (not near a vehicle), once in a public area outside an airport. Both times there was nobody nearby. Both amounts were more than $50 but less than $100.

My brother found circa $20,000 in cash in an unmarked paper bag about 20 years ago when out for an early run (very early -- still dark) in a strip mall parking lot -- no cars around.

What would you do in these cases?
I would pick up and keep the money, but call the airport, the parking garage, the police, etc. and say that I found some money, but not tell them the amount. I would tell them to call me if someone contacted them and reported losing money and if the amount that they reported matched the amount I found, I would return it. If that didn't happen, I would feel free to keep the found money. If someone called the police, for example, and reported that they lost $20K in a paper bag, I would return the money to them, because I think it would be pretty obvious that they were telling the truth and that was their money.

What did you and your brother do?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:32 PM
ct2

26 posts, read 5,089 times
fumbling through your purse, you looked down and found 100.00
camera pointing in your direction sees you pick it up it would also see you drop it if you did
you didnt turn it in so you already made the decision to keep

so lets say that they did fire you for stealing it.
How long would it take you to earn that 100.00
and how many more 100.00 would you earn in the time it takes you to find another job?
How easy will it be to get another job if you do get fired for stealing?

is it worth 100.00 to take the chance

Old 04-30-2019, 03:37 PM
ct2

26 posts, read 5,089 times
Idk why it keeps showing an asterisk in my posts. Its so many dirty stuff going on in that store that i can air out, a few ppl would be fired right along with me.

why you got to tell on everyone else because you got caught. you made all the choices,
why you have to involve others

Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,317,630 times
OP - at this point do this: Scrounge up $100 and give it to the Salvation Army or other worthwhile charity. It will help clear your conscience.

(This is not the advice I would have given you a few days ago. But this is what I would do now.)

Old 04-30-2019, 03:49 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
This is not a high end store. The OP is hardly a high income earner. She has a drug store clerical job. $100 is a big deal and was used to fix a car needed to get to work! She/he didn't steal. She found the money on the floor. I am just stunned how many people suggest turning it in to the manager who could potentially pocket it. Do you think the manager would put the money in the register? If so, how will the overage be explained? Would the manager pin the money to the cork board in hopes of giving it to someone who comes back saying they've lost it?
I am stunned at your lack of morals and how easily you find excuses for dishonest behavior. The economic "tone" of the store, the employment status of the finder, the needed car repairs (which BTW she already had the money for before she found the bill) have absolutely nothing to do with right or wrong. A millionaire driving a Mercedes to shop at Neiman Markus who pockets money that doesn't belong to them is just as much a thief as a teenager driving a 15 year old Chevy who shops at the neighborhood thrift store. You have missed the point entirely.

Sounds like the OP has dodged a bullet and also learned a lesson. Good for you OP! If you feel badly about your little windfall you can always pay it forward by doing something kind and anonymous for someone in need.

A bit of advice...there are few posters on this thread you shouldn't trust with a dime. When people show you who they are, believe it.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2 View Post
Idk why it keeps showing an asterisk in my posts. Its so many dirty stuff going on in that store that i can air out, a few ppl would be fired right along with me.

why you got to tell on everyone else because you got caught. you made all the choices,
why you have to involve others
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment