U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
 
27 posts, read 11,920 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I am stunned at your lack of morals and how easily you find excuses for dishonest behavior. The economic "tone" of the store, the employment status of the finder, the needed car repairs (which BTW she already had the money for before she found the bill) have absolutely nothing to do with right or wrong. A millionaire driving a Mercedes to shop at Neiman Markus who pockets money that doesn't belong to them is just as much a thief as a teenager driving a 15 year old Chevy who shops at the neighborhood thrift store. You have missed the point entirely.

Sounds like the OP has dodged a bullet and also learned a lesson. Good for you OP! If you feel badly about your little windfall you can always pay it forward by doing something .

A bit of advice...there are few posters on this thread you shouldn't trust with a dime. When people show you who they are, believe it.
What do you mean about the posters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Florida and New England
1,231 posts, read 1,416,614 times
Reputation: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What did you and your brother do?
My brother called the cops -- the $20k had been reported lost and belonged to a lawyer making a bond payment IIRC. The lawyer also explained where he had been the previous day, and it included this parking lot. My brother was not given any gratuity or "finder's fee" -- just a thank you from the local police department.

My feeling is that modest sums of lost cash found in public, say less than $200, invokes the "finders keepers" theory, unless there is an obvious resolution (like a person searching or parked vehicle) nearby. In a private establishment, I think found cash should be given to the management for disposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,294 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My brother called the cops -- the $20k had been reported lost and belonged to a lawyer making a bond payment IIRC. The lawyer also explained where he had been the previous day, and it included this parking lot. My brother was not given any gratuity or "finder's fee" -- just a thank you from the local police department.

My feeling is that modest sums of lost cash found in public, say less than $200, invokes the "finders keepers" theory, unless there is an obvious resolution (like a person searching or parked vehicle) nearby. In a private establishment, I think found cash should be given to the management for disposition.
Thanks for your reply. You and your brother are honest people. It's a shame that your brother didn't get some kind of monetary reward for returning $20K. A thank you is nice, but if I was the person who lost that money, I would have wanted to give your brother at least something as a thank you for returning it. So many people would have just kept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM
 
7,097 posts, read 1,780,334 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
There is no rightful owner.
She would not have had the money returned to her in a few weeks because it is not hers.

What if the person dropped their credit card or cell phone? Is it also ok to keep those items and use the credit card? Where do we draw the line to the point that it is theft? Or is only cash ok to steal?

The money belongs to the person who dropped it. However many businesses have the policy that items found by employees that are not asked for by the owners who left them will be given to that employee after a set period of time. I had a friend who worked in the hotel business cleaning rooms and they could keep the items after a set time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Those preaching higher morals and better standards are no better than anybody else here and would probably not even behave according to the standards they impose on others.

Well you don't know me and I do keep myself at a higher standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 PM
 
5,460 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Reputation: 24507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

Second scenario, I would turn the money in to the police. No doubt.
Then the Police pockets it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM
 
319 posts, read 205,631 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I have found modest amounts of $$$ twice in the past decade -- once in a underground garage hallway (not near a vehicle), once in a public area outside an airport. Both times there was nobody nearby. Both amounts were more than $50 but less than $100.

My brother found circa $20,000 in cash in an unmarked paper bag about 20 years ago when out for an early run (very early -- still dark) in a strip mall parking lot -- no cars around.

What would you do in these cases?
I've found several hundred dollars a couple of times in the street/sidewalk.

I posted a sign very close to the spot that said:

Found near here. Something of value.

Call xxx-xxx-xxxx and describe.

Got a few calls from people trying to get me to say what I found but nothing from anyone who had lost cash.

Waited 1 week then spent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 PM
 
797 posts, read 211,208 times
Reputation: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Then the Police pockets it...
And you know that how? Now we add to the list all Police are thieves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM
 
20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Reputation: 38571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
OP - at this point do this: Scrounge up $100 and give it to the Salvation Army or other worthwhile charity. It will help clear your conscience.

(This is not the advice I would have given you a few days ago. But this is what I would do now.)

That's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:32 PM
 
20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Reputation: 38571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What if the person dropped their credit card or cell phone? Is it also ok to keep those items and use the credit card? Where do we draw the line to the point that it is theft? Or is only cash ok to steal?

The money belongs to the person who dropped it. However many businesses have the policy that items found by employees that are not asked for by the owners who left them will be given to that employee after a set period of time. I had a friend who worked in the hotel business cleaning rooms and they could keep the items after a set time.



Well you don't know me and I do keep myself at a higher standard.

It's easy to find someone who dropped a phone or credit card. Cash is different. A bag of money yes, but one dropped bill? Not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 PM
 
797 posts, read 211,208 times
Reputation: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I've found several hundred dollars a couple of times in the street/sidewalk.

I posted a sign very close to the spot that said:

Found near here. Something of value.

Call xxx-xxx-xxxx and describe.

Got a few calls from people trying to get me to say what I found but nothing from anyone who had lost cash.

Waited 1 week then spent it.
You did the honorable thing. Nice to read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top