U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM

7,106 posts, read 1,783,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's easy to find someone who dropped a phone or credit card. Cash is different. A bag of money yes, but one dropped bill? Not the same.

So its ok to keep things that don't belong to you if its not real easy to find out who the owner is? Well if you find a dropped $100 bill you know for sure the one person who it does not belong to is you. However you think that is the person who should have the right to keep it.

I am sorry but I do not get this logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 6,254,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
How's she a 'thief'? She found money, which I doubt anybody saw.
Personally, if a customer (which is probably who lost it) came back in looking for it, I'd return it. But there's no way I'm turning a hundred dollars over to a manager who's going to tell me "I'll take care of it." then put it in his own pocket (if nobody comes looking for it).
I doubt they check cameras unless there's a reason to.

I would just stay quiet.
Sure it's easy to rationalize.

OP took / (found) money that isn't his/hers. It should have been turned in to manager for lost and found. If unclaimed, manager could keep it or give it to OP. But, right thing would have been done.

But, no. OP selfishly kept the cash that could have been needed by someone (who dropped the money) without medicine or food.

No matter what anyone says, OP was wrong. No ifs ands or buts!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM

172 posts, read 70,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I've found several hundred dollars a couple of times in the street/sidewalk.

I posted a sign very close to the spot that said:

Found near here. Something of value.

Call xxx-xxx-xxxx and describe.

Got a few calls from people trying to get me to say what I found but nothing from anyone who had lost cash.

Waited 1 week then spent it.
You put yourself in jeopardy of being tracked down by your phone number and robbed.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:16 PM

20,551 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So its ok to keep things that don't belong to you if its not real easy to find out who the owner is? Well if you find a dropped $100 bill you know for sure the one person who it does not belong to is you. However you think that is the person who should have the right to keep it.

I am sorry but I do not get this logic.
So when I found the $20 bill in the bush while out walking, how would I have gone about finding the owner?

I did turn in the $20 I found in the change dispenser and I feel sure the staff person kept it right after I left.

In any case what is the point of beating up OP? She didn’t come asking opinions on whether it was right or wrong and has already expressed regret. This is work and employment not psychology or philosophy.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM

319 posts, read 205,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
You put yourself in jeopardy of being tracked down by your phone number and robbed.
LOL. Paranoid much?

How exactly would that happen?

Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 PM

172 posts, read 70,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
LOL. Paranoid much?

How exactly would that happen?
Reverse look up by phone number. Cell phones can be looked up, too. Then whitepages online for the address.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 PM

7,106 posts, read 1,783,476 times
Quote:
So when I found the $20 bill in the bush while out walking, how would I have gone about finding the owner?

I did turn in the $20 I found in the change dispenser and I feel sure the staff person kept it right after I left.

I guess got your other comment out of context. I thought you said the money the OP found did not belong to anyone, my bad sorry.

Quote:
In any case what is the point of beating up OP? She didn’t come asking opinions on whether it was right or wrong and has already expressed regret. This is work and employment not psychology or philosophy.

I have no issue with the OP at this point. They seem to understand they made a bad decision and I would assume it won't happen again anytime soon. My comments were to some of the other replies which either encouraged lying about what happened to cover it up or thinking it was fine to keep the money and say nothing for a bunch of questionable reasons.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM

9,143 posts, read 3,000,345 times
How would anyone know how large a denomination the bill was, by watching surveillance camera video or that it hadn't dropped from your own wallet? The resolution wouldn't likely show details as fine as that. So there wouldn't be a basis to charge you with anything. This is completely separate from your own sense of honesty and whether you turn in the money. But if you're going to turn it in, better do it as soon as possible.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 AM

3,822 posts, read 1,975,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
How would anyone know how large a denomination the bill was, by watching surveillance camera video or that it hadn't dropped from your own wallet? The resolution wouldn't likely show details as fine as that. So there wouldn't be a basis to charge you with anything. This is completely separate from your own sense of honesty and whether you turn in the money. But if you're going to turn it in, better do it as soon as possible.
A video wouldn't show that. That's not the point. If management purposely dropped that bill to test its employees, it doesn't matter if the denomination isn't visible on tape.

The OP realizes he should have turned it in right away, but too many others in here encourage the theft. THAT is what many of us are reacting to.

The OP has a conscience. I hope this blows over and he keeps his job. He's learned a valuable lesson. Others need to learn it too.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 9 days ago)

9,496 posts, read 3,645,114 times
Quote:
Finding money outdoors is different from finding money on your employer's premises.

If I found money on my employer's premises, I would assume it belong to my employer. And turn it in so they could either find out if it came out of their own cash drawers, or if it belonged to one of their customers who dropped it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment