U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM
 
106 posts, read 37,571 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

The only way to know if you'll be fired is if your coworkers are petty enough (hate you enough) to snitch on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM
 
13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times
Reputation: 15267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
This is not a high end store. The OP is hardly a high income earner. She has a drug store clerical job. $100 is a big deal and was used to fix a car needed to get to work! She/he didn't steal. She found the money on the floor. I am just stunned how many people suggest turning it in to the manager who could potentially pocket it. Do you think the manager would put the money in the register? If so, how will the overage be explained? Would the manager pin the money to the cork board in hopes of giving it to someone who comes back saying they've lost it?
Agreed. I used to be someone who would have turned it in because that was the right thing to do. Until my husband and I had a discussion about turning found money over to the police or store or whatever and he said if you turn money over to someone, THEY are going to pocket it and say they never saw it. He's right.

I mean if I knew who lost the money, I would return it. If I knew it came from the cash register, I would return it. If it's on the floor and there is no telling who it belonged to, I will keep it.

I did the same thing as the OP one time. Was digging around in my purse at the register at the grocery store to find my debit card to pay for my groceries. I had a lot of cash in my purse at the time and when I looked down after I paid, there were several $20 bills on the floor. I didn't even think twice about it, figured I just knocked them out when I got my card out, and I picked them up and put them in my purse. There was a long line and I think if anyone had seen that they were there before I got to the register they would have already picked them up. But I sure wouldn't have turned it in to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 PM
 
13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times
Reputation: 15267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So its ok to keep things that don't belong to you if its not real easy to find out who the owner is? Well if you find a dropped $100 bill you know for sure the one person who it does not belong to is you. However you think that is the person who should have the right to keep it.

I am sorry but I do not get this logic.
Well, who else would you give it to? If someone posts somewhere and says "I lost a $100 bill. Did anyone find it?" Then yes, you should give it back. But otherwise, how do you know who it belongs to? You don't. So you should give it to someone else you know it doesn't belong to?


My husband put a $100 bill in the cup holder of a convertible on a nice day and then drove on the highway. The money blew out and was gone forever. I'm sure someone found it and had no idea where it came from. Should they give it to some other person because it wasn't theirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19466
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My husband put a $100 bill in the cup holder of a convertible on a nice day and then drove on the highway. The money blew out and was gone forever. I'm sure someone found it and had no idea where it came from. Should they give it to some other person because it wasn't theirs?
We are talking about $100 found on an employer's private property. Not on a public highway in the middle of nowhere.

Money that you find on your employer's premises is not your money. It belongs to your employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 02:33 PM
 
20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Reputation: 38519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Theft is theft right? Or does the law differentiate a value at which it becomes theft? I'm not being smart, I honestly don't know. If the law does say it then my bad.
I donít think picking up something you find on the ground with no way to identify its owner can be called theft. Did OP make a poor decision, yes, is she a thief, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Reputation: 23172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We are talking about $100 found on an employer's private property. Not on a public highway in the middle of nowhere.

Money that you find on your employer's premises is not your money. It belongs to your employer.
It does NOT. PLEASE stop spreading misinformation. What do you think would happen to an employee who chose to take found money to the police rather than turn it into the mgt? NOTHING! Because it doesn't belong to the employer just because that's where someone dropped it. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:03 PM
 
13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times
Reputation: 15267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We are talking about $100 found on an employer's private property. Not on a public highway in the middle of nowhere.

Money that you find on your employer's premises is not your money. It belongs to your employer.
I disagree. A retail store is a high traffic, public area.

If the employer has a policy regarding it, then yes - you'd have to turn it in. If they don't, then I don't see that the person has any obligation to turn it in unless the money came from the cash register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Illinois
10 posts, read 2,142 times
Reputation: 15
If it was where customers are, stash it in the employee area, wait a couple days, no one shows up, finders keepers. If someone asks you want to act surprised and say "yes! we did find money and we put it aside until someone came forward" cuz it looks bad if you pull that out your pocket lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It does NOT. PLEASE stop spreading misinformation. What do you think would happen to an employee who chose to take found money to the police rather than turn it into the mgt? .
That's pretty funny. The police would tell the employee to take the money back to his employer and turn it in. That money could have come out of someone's cash register. And if someone's drawer came up short $100, you can bet the employer isn't going to be happy with the worker who just decided to turn it in to police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19466
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I disagree. A retail store is a high traffic, public area.
Do you understand the legal distinction between public and private property?

A store isn't public property. The fact they're open to the public is irrelevant. A retail store is private property. That's why they can arrest someone for trespassing in a store. That's also why you don't have freedom of speech rights in a retail store. Retail stores like CVS, Wal Mart, Target are not public property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top