U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,385,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you understand the legal distinction between public and private property?

A store isn't public property. The fact they're open to the public is irrelevant. A retail store is private property.

There is no legal obligation for the employee to turn it over to the employer unless there is a store policy stating so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
That's pretty funny. The police would tell the employee to take the money back to his employer and turn it in. That money could have come out of someone's cash register. And if someone's drawer came up short $100, you can bet the employer isn't going to be happy with the worker who just decided to turn it in to police.
What's funny is you pretending you have a clue about retail operations.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,462 posts, read 3,634,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What's funny is you pretending you have a clue about retail operations.
I know the legal distinction between public and private property and I know that retail stores are private property. But no, I haven't spent the last 20 years working as a cashier. That's not necessary to understand retail operations.

If you told me in a job interview that you believe anything you "find" in a store should be yours, I'd toss your application out really fast.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
I know the legal distinction between public and private property and I know that retail stores are private property. But no, I haven't spent the last 20 years working as a cashier. That's not necessary to understand retail operations.

If you told me in a job interview that you believe anything you "find" in a store should be yours, I'd toss your application out really fast.
There you go putting words into my mouth again. Bad habit.
I've spent the last thirty years in retail, only the first six months as a cashier. (Nice try at a put down though) Since I'm actually handling these situations for a living I'll put that against whatever it is you think you know about it.

The money does not belong to the store.
It belongs to whoever lost it.
It should be turned in technically to the police but most people just turn it into store mgt.
If no ones comes forward to claim the money it belongs to the person finding it.
Tell me again what you think happens to someone who turns found money in to the police? You realize that if the money does somehow turn out to belong to the store they can claim it from the police dept, just like anyone else.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The money does not belong to the store.
It belongs to whoever lost it.
It belongs to the store because it's on their property.

Period.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 PM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
It belongs to the store because it's on their property.

Period.
The manager doesn’t own the store, do you think it needs to be mailed to the CVS CEO???

Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM

7,085 posts, read 1,775,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, who else would you give it to? If someone posts somewhere and says "I lost a $100 bill. Did anyone find it?" Then yes, you should give it back. But otherwise, how do you know who it belongs to? You don't. So you should give it to someone else you know it doesn't belong to?

Well the story as told by the OP was found at the cash register where they worked. Pretty obvious someone shopping there dropped it. So I would say the protocol is the alert the manager on duty that you found the money. Not only is that the right thing do to you also score points as an employee who is honest. I spent years in retail management and I would take notice of someone who did that.

Quote:
My husband put a $100 bill in the cup holder of a convertible on a nice day and then drove on the highway. The money blew out and was gone forever. I'm sure someone found it and had no idea where it came from. Should they give it to some other person because it wasn't theirs?

I agree in different situations its impossible to find the owner. But that is not what this thread is about.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The manager doesn’t own the store, do you think it needs to be mailed to the CVS CEO???
No, of course the manager doesn't own the store, but he/she is still responsible for handling the store's money. They are an agent of the store. Pocketing loose cash isn't being responsible for the store's money. They would need to do an audit of the cash registers and try to determine if it came out of one of those, then they would need to place it in lost and found for a period of time to see if the owner claims it. If not, then some stores will donate unclaimed money to a charity. But it's not appropriate for an employee to snatch the money, not tell anyone, and not report it.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 1,775,797 times
Quote:
There is no legal obligation for the employee to turn it over to the employer unless there is a store policy stating so.

There is a legal obligation. There is something called theft by finding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

The finder of lost property acquires a possessory right by taking physical control of the property, but does not necessarily have ownership of the property. The finder must take reasonable steps to locate the owner.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:35 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,971,730 times
Quote:

THIS! ^^^

And we both know, PriscillaVanilla, that every CD-er currently defending the OP would lie to your face during that interview. They'd never admit to keeping "found money". They'd swear up and down it would be the wrong thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment