U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 12 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,660,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
THIS! ^^^

And we both know, PriscillaVanilla, that every CD-er currently defending the OP would lie to your face during that interview. They'd never admit to keeping "found money". They'd swear up and down it would be the wrong thing to do.
Oh, yeah. They'd no doubt lie during the interview: "Of course I'll turn in loose money if I find it somewhere."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 PM

7,127 posts, read 1,789,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Oh, yeah. They'd no doubt lie during the interview: "Of course I'll turn in loose money if I find it somewhere."

During my college years and a bit after I was in retail management. I became quite cynical quickly regarding the honesty of others and figured out that a majority of people will take anything if they think they will get away with it. You had to be on your toes with your employees or they would rob your blind. The customers were not much better. There were countless people that my staff and myself caught in the act who you would never dream would do something like that. And they usually felt they were justified in doing what they did with questionable logic at best.

And after reading the comments in this thread most people on here prove that assessment years ago was correct.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 PM

20,573 posts, read 16,637,575 times
Quote:
No, of course the manager doesn't own the store, but he/she is still responsible for handling the store's money. They are an agent of the store. Pocketing loose cash isn't being responsible for the store's money. They would need to do an audit of the cash registers and try to determine if it came out of one of those, then they would need to place it in lost and found for a period of time to see if the owner claims it. If not, then some stores will donate unclaimed money to a charity. But it's not appropriate for an employee to snatch the money, not tell anyone, and not report it.
She already knows she shouldn’t have taken it, what is the point of belaboring whether or not she should have done something that is already past? She picked it up in an impulsive moment and has regretted it ever since. It doesn’t help for people to call her a thief and keep berating her.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 12 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,660,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She already knows she shouldn’t have taken it, what is the point of belaboring whether or not she should have done something that is already past? She picked it up in an impulsive moment and has regretted it ever since. It doesn’t help for people to call her a thief and keep berating her.
I haven't been posting to her. It's the rest of you.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM

178 posts, read 31,187 times
Quote:
But something you find at work isn't yours. It is the property of the owner of the store. You just work there. Would you go in a friend's house and find money on their floor and keep it?
Not speaking of other states now, just Ohio. If I am working at Joe's drugstore and find a $50.00 bill on the floor where the public has access, the store/joe has no legal claim over it, it is mine, regardless of company policy to the contrary if it exists.

Not discussing any potential employment discipline now, just the law.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 PM

4,049 posts, read 7,325,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The manager doesn’t own the store, do you think it needs to be mailed to the CVS CEO???
It should be distributed to CVS shareholders, in proportion to the # of shares they own.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,858,228 times
I'm not calling the OP a thief but if I was the OP, I would have just handed the $100.00 in the avoid having a guilty conscience. They don't know if the money fell out of the register or it belonged to a customer.

Either way, what's done is done.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 AM

813 posts, read 213,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
During my college years and a bit after I was in retail management. I became quite cynical quickly regarding the honesty of others and figured out that a majority of people will take anything if they think they will get away with it. You had to be on your toes with your employees or they would rob your blind. The customers were not much better. There were countless people that my staff and myself caught in the act who you would never dream would do something like that. And they usually felt they were justified in doing what they did with questionable logic at best.

And after reading the comments in this thread most people on here prove that assessment years ago was correct.
I have often wondered myself -- what percentage of people have integrity (doing the honorable thing when no one is looking or without fear of consequences). The thing to be careful is inferring from a subset of the population, i.e., are shoplifters more likely to seek employment in retail so retail has a higher population of employee theft, just like pedophiles seek employment in childcare and education.

I fear people who are so inclined, assume everyone else would do the same thing to justify their actions or no one is trustworthy.

OP this has been a good topic for discussion.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:50 AM

7,127 posts, read 1,789,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
It should be distributed to CVS shareholders, in proportion to the # of shares they own.

The management of that particular store is responsible for what goes in that store. Not the CEO or shareholders. There is a chain of command in place to deal with this sort of thing. Pretty obvious I would think but apparently not to everyone.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,397,398 times
Y'all are just wasting time by continuing to bicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment