U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 01:45 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,452,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You clearly know you did wrong. So turn it in. It's not your money. You don't know who lost it or whether $100 is a big deal to them (I doubt it's a small deal to anybody) or they had saved up for something specific and possibly important.

Nobody knows whether you're going to get fired except your boss. So go to work tonight and find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Agreed -- you should have immediately given the $$ to the manager on duty. Didn't your mama raise you better than that?

Completely agree with both of these posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
Im feeling worse now. I dont want to go in tonight.
You sound extremely young (your words plus the fact that you can't find the apostrophe key). If you are, it's time to grow up and take some responsibility for your life and actions. If you're not, then I'm the one "smh."

Go to work. Don't compound one bad choice with another one. You have a job and you are scheduled to work. Go work. You obviously know what would have been the correct decision by the way you are worrying about the potential consequences of your action. No one here can tell you if you'll be fired or not. Go to work, be responsible, and consider your choices and how they impact your life situation and the person you are becoming.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2019 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 01:45 PM

931 posts, read 256,090 times
Why do you keep arguing your case here? You were in the wrong and you know it, or you wouldn't be worried you'll get fired, you wouldn't be defending yourself so hard, and you wouldn't have posted in the first place (though if you honestly thought you were going to get responses saying "yeah man, keep it!"... well...). So, if it's such a big deal, again: why not just turn in the money? Then you do not have to worry, and you are not lacking anything you didn't have to begin with.

(And if you think it'll go any better for you getting fired for being a no-show at your job... good luck to you. And if you have "smh" for someone who lost something that was theirs and now you feel entitled to it... well... I don't believe in karma but I always hope it comes along for people anyway, and I hope you lose something important to you and watch someone else pick it up and keep it because 'finders keepers smh.")

Old 04-27-2019, 01:46 PM

797 posts, read 211,610 times
I would call the manager immediately. Perhaps you could say you saw the $100 bill on the floor and thought it was yours but when you got home you have two $100 bill in your wallet and realized it didn't belong to you. You could say you wanted to notify him in case a customer came in looking for the money. I would try to preempt the boss confronting you.

If you don't go in you will look guilty especially if a customer has claimed they lost $100 prompting them to view video.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 11,938 times
Im not young, my phone isnt on autocorrect. Mod cut. I came here because i do in fact feel guilty, not for you to say keep it. Its done, I kept it and put it towards my car repair. I didnt ask what should i do, I asked if anyone knew the possibility of being fired within this situation. I dont even feel comfortable coming to my boss about it now, its too late. Its a big deal because like i said earlier, this hasnt happened to me before.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2019 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to comment which has been deleted).

Old 04-27-2019, 01:54 PM

9,358 posts, read 6,254,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I would call the manager immediately. Perhaps you could say you saw the $100 bill on the floor and thought it was yours but when you got home you have two $100 bill in your wallet and realized it didn't belong to you. You could say you wanted to notify him in case a customer came in looking for the money. I would try to preempt the boss confronting you.

If you don't go in you will look guilty especially if a customer has claimed they lost $100 prompting them to view video.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't compound the theft with a LIE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,697,836 times
You took money that you knew wasn't yours. I don't see a lot of ways that can be interpreted nor can I see any excuses that justify it.

I don't know what you thought people here were going to tell you.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
Im not young, my phone isnt on autocorrect. And im not bumping my thread 15 minutes. I bumped my thread once, so please stop with the insults. I came here because i do in fact feel guilty, not for you to say keep it. Its done, I kept it and put it towards my car repair. I didnt ask what should i do, I asked if anyone knew the possibility of being fired within this situation. I dont even feel comfortable coming to my boss about it now, its too late. Its a big deal because like i said earlier, this hasnt happened to me before.
Yes you could be fired if video clearly establishes that you took money that didn't belong to you. It doesn't matter whether you clocked in or not. I don't know if your story of picking up money that you dropped is credible and consistent with what could be on the video and/or witnessed by others. So whether or not you are fired will depend upon that. There is a chance that the $100 loss is undiscovered so the video is not viewed and/or goes unreported. But you are taking a chance.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't compound the theft with a LIE!!!!!!!!!!
Well to admit to a theft she will most likely be fired and possibly prosecuted. I am only suggesting a course that will allow her to give the money back, possibly keep her job and learn her lesson. Otherwise, I suspect she will simply keep the money and take her chances.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Finding it at work changes the dynamics, and yeah, I'd hand over the money to the store management. What if a customer comes in and asks for it? They'd go to the management, not walk around and ask each employee.

This doesn't have to weigh on your shoulders, or be a matter of guilt. You can always explain that you thought it out, and decided that the right thing to do was pass it on to them. That removes the likelihood of firing, helps the possible customer (should he/she return), and elevate you in standing. Three good qualities, in addition to getting rid of your guilt and paranoia.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM

2,060 posts, read 597,123 times
Not sure. You could always say it was yours given the situation which seems plausible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment