U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 AM

903 posts, read 230,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is a legal obligation. There is something called theft by finding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

The finder of lost property acquires a possessory right by taking physical control of the property, but does not necessarily have ownership of the property. The finder must take reasonable steps to locate the owner.
Almost every example quoted in your link involves the finding of some kind of physically identifiable property, not unmarked cash.

Pretty much every example in that link where found cash was involved, there was no conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 AM

3,814 posts, read 1,971,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I found $60 in the back of a cab once. I guarantee if I had given it to the driver, he would have pocketed it.

Not if that cab driver was me or PriscillaVanilla or a few others in here. Many of us won't strain our conscience by stealing. It's wrong and we know it. You don't know anything about that cab driver, but you're guaranteeing he would have pocketed that $60? No. That's just your mind rationalizing your bad behavior.

Whoever lost that money would most likely backtrack their travels. He would call the cab company, the cab would be identified and the driver would be questioned. The driver, knowing nothing about the $60 you stole, now falls under the bosses suspicion when he's done nothing wrong. Do you think that's fair to him?

Not only did you steal, but you violated the "Thou shalt not bear false witness" commandment.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 05-02-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
So*i came into work and before i clocked in i bought something to eat. My coworker was ringing me out and i was scrounging for change in my purse becasue i didnt want to break the bigger bill since im getting my car fixed. Well when i looked down, i saw 100 bucks on the ground so i grabbed it. I thought for a few secs and then kept it. My coworker was*looking down while filling out my stickers but idk if its the paranoia or was she playing it off and was testing me. Either way the camera will show i was looking down and digging in my purse and then i was gathering my things. So it kinda looks like i was picking up something that couldve fell out of my purse.

But im still scared and felt like i shouldve just turned it in. But finders keepers smh. I was basically a customer because i wasnt even clocked in yet. Its not like i took from the register or*behind it. I would never do*that.
I don't know if you're getting fired or not, but all I know is I was in a drugstore and I always keep my cash in my back pocket, in case somebody steals my wallet, I still have my cash.

I got home and found out a $100 bill had fallen out of my pocket, went back to the drugstore, and nobody had seen it.

SS

Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 PM

903 posts, read 230,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Not if that cab driver was me or PriscillaVanilla or a few others in here. Many of us won't strain our conscience by stealing. It's wrong and we know it. You don't know anything about that cab driver, but you're guaranteeing he would have pocketed that $60? No. That's just your mind rationalizing your bad behavior.

Whoever lost that money would most likely backtrack their travels. He would call the cab company, the cab would be identified and the driver would be questioned. The driver, knowing nothing about the $60 you stole, now falls under the bosses suspicion when he's done nothing wrong. Do you think that's fair to him?

Not only did you steal, but you violated the "Thou shalt not bear false witness" commandment.
The thing is...most people aren't miserly counting their money every hour like Scrooge McDuck. So if they look and only see 5 $20s, they might think, "I thought I had 8 $20s. Did I lose some money?" But then, they probably don't know if they lost it today, yesterday, or a few days ago. Even if they have a good idea, most people realize that if you lose cash, it's probably already gone.

Hence why lost cash rarely finds it's way back to the owner. Because the reality is that the owner rarely goes looking for it.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM

4,034 posts, read 7,312,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The thing is...most people aren't miserly counting their money every hour like Scrooge McDuck. So if they look and only see 5 $20s, they might think, "I thought I had 8 $20s. Did I lose some money?" But then, they probably don't know if they lost it today, yesterday, or a few days ago. Even if they have a good idea, most people realize that if you lose cash, it's probably already gone.

Hence why lost cash rarely finds it's way back to the owner. Because the reality is that the owner rarely goes looking for it.
In the OPís situation, it was a $100 bill, something I rarely have in my wallet. If it came up missing and I had only been to a few places, I very well might retrace my steps. If it was Black Friday and I had been in 20 different stores, probably not.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 PM

7,073 posts, read 1,775,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Almost every example quoted in your link involves the finding of some kind of physically identifiable property, not unmarked cash.

Pretty much every example in that link where found cash was involved, there was no conviction.

Your point is as long as you think you can get away with it, go for it? In this case it was found in the store near the cash register. Not blowing in the wind in the middle of nowhere. It belonged to someone who shopped in that store.

My point with the link was to show that it can be theft if you find something and make no effort to track down the owner on top of that its just wrong. At least the way I was brought up.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:19 AM

3,900 posts, read 2,742,272 times
I have a retail store. A couple of months ago an elderly customer called us, crying, she had gone to the pharmacy to pick up her prescriptions and was missing the $50 bill she had gotten out of the bank to pay for it.

She had been to our store earlier in the day. We searched and found it tightly stuck to the other new $50 she had used to pay for her purchases. Our employee didn't notice it was two bills.

I have never been thanked so much in my life, she was so happy we were an honest business. And if we would've found it on the floor instead, we would have given it back to her just the same. It's just the right thing to do.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:20 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times
I'm kind of disheartened, but not surprised, that so many here would keep a large sum of money they found on the floor of a store or in the back of a taxi. If you didn't think the cab driver or store manager could be trusted, you could always turn it into the police. You could also post on your community's Facebook page, "I found a sum of money in a store in SmallTownVille. Contact me with the store's name and the amount if it's yours."

Not the same thing, but I once found an iPhone in the fields of a u-pick farm. I looked at it and there were something like 27 missed calls from the same number over the previous hour. Obviously someone was calling it over and over again looking for it. So I called the number back and a woman answered and said "oh thank you, that's my sister's phone!" I told her I was in the field but would be done in 30 minutes and would leave it at the farm stand (a short drive away). Wouldn't you know that a couple minutes later, a text came through from a different number saying, "You're being tracked and I know where you are. You have 10 minutes to call me back to return the phone or I'm calling the police." I was annoyed (and texted back where the phone would be within a half hour), but now I see that it seems the majority of people are dishonest and would likely try to take off with the phone if they thought they could get away with it. Sad.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,448 posts, read 3,634,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
, but now I see that it seems the majority of people are dishonest and would likely try to take off with the phone if they thought they could get away with it. Sad.
Sad but true.

I worked in one place years ago, where toilet paper was stolen constantly from the employee bathrooms, to the extent where they finally stopped providing it and you had to bring your own TP to work. That may sound extreme but there was nothing else they could do.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Whoa, I disagree with most of you. This was money she found, not money she stole. And 99% chance if she gave it to the manager, he would pocket it himself.
Agreed! That's why I would suggest turning it in to security and ask for a receipt. Just say you found it on the floor, and at first thought it was your's, but then later realized it didn't add up. Just say---truthfully--you were in a hurry to get to work and didn't think much about it until later. After having time to think it over, you realized it wasn't your money and you now want to turn it in. They can't make anything out of that, since you surrendered the money and notified proper personnel.

Whatever you do, get a receipt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment