U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2019, 02:25 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,679 posts, read 74,671,253 times
Reputation: 48200

Advertisements

If itís not your money donít keep it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2019, 02:28 PM
 
6,220 posts, read 2,882,126 times
Reputation: 15790
The money did not belong to the store. Go ask an accountant how audits are done.



Op- it wasn't in a safe or register. Nor was it on a person's body. Unsure how it's theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,658 posts, read 3,687,967 times
Reputation: 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The money did not belong to the store. .
Wrong.

Anything on the store's property is "their's". And I know people who have worked in retail and they've told me the same thing. It's store policy that any cash found on store premises isn't "up for grabs." You have to turn it in to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: X marks the spot
702 posts, read 238,442 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
Im not young, my phone isnt on autocorrect. And im not bumping my thread 15 minutes. I bumped my thread once, so please stop with the insults. I came here because i do in fact feel guilty, not for you to say keep it. Its done, I kept it and put it towards my car repair. I didnt ask what should i do, I asked if anyone knew the possibility of being fired within this situation. I dont even feel comfortable coming to my boss about it now, its too late. Its a big deal because like i said earlier, this hasnt happened to me before.
Employees get fired for theft, it would not matter that werenít on the clock. If you do get fired, youíll have a hard time explaining your reason for leaving the company when you start interviewing for a new job. Also, not showing up for work because you feel guilty wonít bode well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM
 
9,417 posts, read 6,281,584 times
Reputation: 17785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

This doesn't have to weigh on your shoulders, or be a matter of guilt. You can always explain that you thought it out, and decided that the right thing to do was pass it on to them. That removes the likelihood of firing, helps the possible customer (should he/she return), and elevate you in standing. Three good qualities, in addition to getting rid of your guilt and paranoia.
Thought it out on CD? She was wrong from the get go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:10 PM
 
9,417 posts, read 6,281,584 times
Reputation: 17785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Not sure. You could always say it was yours given the situation which seems plausible.
I give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:23 PM
 
18,930 posts, read 7,363,495 times
Reputation: 8079
Self serve checkouts never steal anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 PM
 
4,998 posts, read 1,249,145 times
Reputation: 3897
Whoa, I disagree with most of you. This was money she found, not money she stole. And 99% chance if she gave it to the manager, he would pocket it himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:55 PM
 
6,220 posts, read 2,882,126 times
Reputation: 15790
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Wrong.

Anything on the store's property is "their's". And I know people who have worked in retail and they've told me the same thing. It's store policy that any cash found on store premises isn't "up for grabs." You have to turn it in to the store.
Again. Your misinformed. I worked retail and based on your poorly structure statement.....if I leave my car keys on the stores property. The store owns my car then??? Hardly. See now how I blew your statement to pieces. Now take some time to clarify reasonably how it's theft if an item is found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
39,800 posts, read 3,009,722 times
Reputation: 13056
I found $5 on a the floor of a bar/grill I kept it. If I had handed it in, I doubt if anyone but the person I handed it to, would have seen it. I do not consider that theft, or the property of the landlord. I have also found small bills on the sidewalk, & I also kept them.

OP whatever you decide, you need to show up for your shift today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top