U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 11:31 AM

941 posts, read 205,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Actually, yes. This is 2019, not 1978. There are cameras everywhere now. My mom worked at a drug store and said the managers would often sit in the back office and watch the cameras. But it's not something I worry about because I don't take things out of a store that's not mine. What's in the store, belongs to the store. Even stuff in their trashcan is still technically "their" property. And in some states, even things in their dumpster out back can't be removed because it's considered theft. Because the dumpster is on their property. Dumpster diving laws vary from one state to the next so people who take things out of dumpsters should learn their state and local laws first.
I'll take my chances next time I pick up a twenty on Rite Aid's floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 11:45 AM

1,579 posts, read 1,546,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
So*i came into work and before i clocked in i bought something to eat. My coworker was ringing me out and i was scrounging for change in my purse becasue i didnt want to break the bigger bill since im getting my car fixed. Well when i looked down, i saw 100 bucks on the ground so i grabbed it. I thought for a few secs and then kept it. My coworker was*looking down while filling out my stickers but idk if its the paranoia or was she playing it off and was testing me. Either way the camera will show i was looking down and digging in my purse and then i was gathering my things. So it kinda looks like i was picking up something that couldve fell out of my purse.

But im still scared and felt like i shouldve just turned it in. But finders keepers smh. I was basically a customer because i wasnt even clocked in yet. Its not like i took from the register or*behind it. I would never do*that.

This was extremely poor judgment on your part in keeping money, a coincidental $100, on the floor, at your place of employment. Regardless if you were on the clock or not, you are an employee of that company and any cash found inside the area where money is received/handled, is money from that business. Your guilt in posting this thread demonstrates that you know you were wrong, and you fear that there is grounds for termination which will be THEFT.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,744,488 times
Quote:
Its a drugstore
You're an employee, whether you are clocked in or not. But nice try.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,680,040 times
Quote:
The money was on the bottom shelf of candy. So the cashier didnt even see it. It seems immature but i never experienced this before. I just dont understand how its store policy when i wasnt clocked in and my jacket was on. I was technically a customer at the time.
I usually read all the posts in a thread before I reply, but not this time. I just have to wonder what makes you think that when you clock in, you have morals, but if you're off the clock you don't. That time clock doesn't change right from wrong and you know it, or else you wouldn't even be posting about this.

I also think it's pathetic that the only reason you seem to care about being a thief is because you might get caught and fired, not because you care about doing the right thing.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:17 PM

11,263 posts, read 8,424,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love desert diamonds. They're gorgeous.
Oops! Wrong thread! Mod! Help!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
You'll be fine. Nobody came back looking for their money ... stop listening to those calling you a 'thief.'
Some of the posters here are unbelievable. Cynical at best, immoral at worst. Poster children for Self-serving Rationalizers Anonymous. C'mon folks, this bill hadn't been drifting around on that floor for weeks. Someone dropped it within the immediate past. Either a customer rooting around in a purse (like the OP claimed to be doing) or it was dropped when change was being made at a register. The odds of who lost it drops to about two...one customer or the cashier. Finding a bill in a car's glovebox years after it was sold or floating down a sidewalk is completely different.

I've worked for quite a few employers over the years and can't recall any of them that would have tolerated a manager pocketing found money brought to them. If someone, employee or not, found something valuable it would be documented date, time, etc, put in a Lost and Found or locked cabinet for some specified time; giving the person who lost it a chance to claim it. Might be a week, maybe a month. Most ethical people are not going door to door claiming wandering $100 bills hoping to score. IF after that time period was up no one claimed it, it would be given back to the person who found it. If the person who lost it gets it back the person who turned it in would sometimes be rewarded for their honesty.

OP don't you get it? Whether it was $100, a piece of jewelry, or a jacket doesn't really matter. You took unfair advantage of someone's misfortune and used it for personal benefit. No different than short changing a customer deliberately. Skimming out of your register. It is unethical, dishonest. If they fire you it's because they don't want a person with this mentality working there. They couldn't trust that you wouldn't rip anyone else off another time.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM

4,847 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
I showed up to work. The vibe is weird but im still cautious and nervous.

I just dont want my time wasted. I dont want to be used for work. Just call and tell me im fired.

I do feel bad for the act not just the consequences. I spent the money on my car repair and i just feel bad that i made a stupid decision. I just dont like the tight mouthed stuff and acting weird. Just be up front.
I don't get 'being used for work'. Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing with money vs. items is that you can give a description of the item and have people give more detail to claim it. Everyone will want money.
Agree.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:47 PM

4,847 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
The wife and I were walking in the Chinatown section of Philadelphia a few years back and I noticed a coffee cup with green under it sitting on top of a dumpster next to a restaurant. Upon further inspection, I saw it was cash. We debated what to do for a moment.
I told her to guard it while I knock on the kitchen door to ask the guys working there if one of them forgot it and I was yelled at to 'go away!' I immediately tell her 'grab it!' as others were starting to notice it. She does - $34, which paid for dinner.
Are we now thieves?
I found $100 at the bus stop on my corner. I found $200 between the door panel and seat of a stolen car that was around the corner from my house. Probably belonged to the car thief ...
I found $60 in the back of a cab once. I guarantee if I had given it to the driver, he would have pocketed it.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,481 posts, read 3,645,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I found $60 in the back of a cab once. I guarantee if I had given it to the driver, he would have pocketed it.
Um, it was his money. it was his cab. Probably a tip someone forgot to give him.

If you find cash lying around on the floor of a friend's home, would you pocket that also?

Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,481 posts, read 3,645,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of the posters here are unbelievable. .
Tell me about it.

I can't believe what I've read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment