U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 PM

925 posts, read 253,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing with money vs. items is that you can give a description of the item and have people give more detail to claim it. Everyone will want money.
Do people actually call random stores and say they lost X amount of money in hopes the store will say "Yup, we found money today and it was that exact amount!"

And, if there are cameras, not hard to verify that the person was there around the right time, maybe even show them losing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
How's she a 'thief'? She found money, which I doubt anybody saw.
Personally, if a customer (which is probably who lost it) came back in looking for it, I'd return it. But there's no way I'm turning a hundred dollars over to a manager who's going to tell me "I'll take care of it." then put it in his own pocket (if nobody comes looking for it).
I doubt they check cameras unless there's a reason to.

I would just stay quiet.
OP works there. All she has to do is say the next day, in front of someone else, "Manager Bob, did you ever find the owner of that $100 I found and turned in yesterday?" Why would manager risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
This is true even though im not trying to make my situation seem less wrong. And i wish the users would stop saying that i am.

I understand when its said its store property but i think that doesnt make sense. No one has reported missing money as far as i know.
As far as you know. Are you aware of every customer and phone call the store has had since, that you know none of it was asking about missing money?

You wish people would stop saying you're wrong. Except that you are. And when you keep trying to justify what you did, people are going to continue saying you were wrong. Your best bet at this point is to admit you were wrong, and to stop posting, because you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper and can't figure out why.

Quote:
Im pretty sure the video was checked, especially since i was told on.
Who "told on" you? How do you know they did? All you're going on is the fact that because you've made yourself paranoid, you think people are acting differently around you. They would have fired you immediately if they were going to; what makes you think they would keep you on their premises any longer than absolutely necessary?

Quote:
It's only 'theft' if you know the origin of the lost item.
Wow. So again, if you lose something important, you're cool with someone else keeping it because they found it?

Quote:
The wife and I were walking in the Chinatown section of Philadelphia a few years back and I noticed a coffee cup with green under it sitting on top of a dumpster next to a restaurant. Upon further inspection, I saw it was cash. We debated what to do for a moment.
I told her to guard it while I knock on the kitchen door to ask the guys working there if one of them forgot it and I was yelled at to 'go away!' I immediately tell her 'grab it!' as others were starting to notice it. She does - $34, which paid for dinner.
Are we now thieves?
I found $100 at the bus stop on my corner. I found $200 between the door panel and seat of a stolen car that was around the corner from my house. Probably belonged to the car thief ...
Why are you rooting around in stolen cars???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 05:00 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I found $60 in the back of a cab once. I guarantee if I had given it to the driver, he would have pocketed it.
That doesn't mean it was right and it doesn't justify you doing the same. If someone forges a check would you forge a check just because they did?

Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,454 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
This whole arresting thing is really scaring me.
Don't let it scare you.
Buncha people here making a tempest in a teapot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Wrong.

Anything on the store's property is "their's". And I know people who have worked in retail and they've told me the same thing. It's store policy that any cash found on store premises isn't "up for grabs." You have to turn it in to the store.
NOT wrong. Most retail businesses (especially if you're working for a chain) have an official 'Found Money' policy. Ours is that any money not claimed after a two week period is given back to the person who turned it in. It does NOT 'belong' to the store. They don't have some sort of god given right to keep it just because it was found on the property, it doesn't become 'their' property.
Quote:
I just dont understand how its store policy when i wasnt clocked in and my jacket was on. I was technically a customer at the time.
As an employee anything you do while on premises, including in the parking lot, or off premises while 'representing' the store (meaning if you're in uniform or otherwise identifiable as an employee of said company) you can be held accountable for. Get into a fight in the parking lot, get drunk and act the fool at the company picnic, post inappropriate comments or photos on an account that identifies you as an employee of XX company, all those types of things can get you fired, whether you are on the clock or not.

I recommend you go to your manager and report the found money, not really a big deal if you 'forgot' to report it right away, maybe you were busy that day, wink wink. Anyway ask what the official policy is and if the money will be returned to you after a waiting period. You can always call your HR dept or look the policy up on your own if you think the mgr is playing you.
You don't sound like you can handle the stress and the guilt of keeping the money without reporting it. I think if you report it you'll feel better and odds are greatly on your side that you'll wind up keeping it anyway. And if someone does come to claim it won't you feel better knowing it went to the rightful owner?

PS, don't tell a bunch of people you know about finding the money, you don't want them showing up at the store to claim it as their own!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,450 posts, read 3,634,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
NOT wrong. Most retail businesses (especially if you're working for a chain) have an official 'Found Money' policy. Ours is that any money not claimed after a two week period is given back to the person who turned it in. It does NOT 'belong' to the store. !
The OP did not turn the money in. She kept it and did not report it.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,454 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, that's why I suggested she turn it in. Your point?

Old 04-28-2019, 05:25 PM

941 posts, read 202,220 times
Quote:
Um, it was his money. it was his cab. Probably a tip someone forgot to give him.

If you find cash lying around on the floor of a friend's home, would you pocket that also?
Please, nobody is tipping him $60 ... What would you do if you found a fifty dollar bill in a large stadium or concert venue?

Old 04-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,450 posts, read 3,634,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, I know, that's why I suggested she turn it in. Your point?
You admitted your store has a policy requiring people to turn the money in. The store policy isn't "any money found belongs to the finder."

Old 04-28-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oops! Wrong thread! Mod! Help!
Naw, leave it. This sad thread needed some comic relief!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Not only did she keep it, according to her she spent it!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 PM

941 posts, read 202,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Wow. So again, if you lose something important, you're cool with someone else keeping it because they found it?

If they don't know it's mine, what are they supposed to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment