Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
@julie73

I showed up to work last night, there was just something in the air. I called off tonight though.

My boss doesnt come back until tuesday. If Im being fired, I dont want to wait until then. If evidence is found, shouldnt the firing happen immediately?
You'd risk being fired instead of just telling the truth? Seriously just tell your boss what happened. In thirty years of retail I've never seen anyone fired, let alone arrested, over FINDING money, that's just nuts. Unless there's more to the story that you aren't telling I think you're making an ill informed decision. Evidence of what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 AM

27 posts, read 18,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You'd risk being fired instead of just telling the truth? Seriously just tell your boss what happened. In thirty years of retail I've never seen anyone fired, let alone arrested, over FINDING money, that's just nuts. Unless there's more to the story that you aren't telling I think you're making an ill informed decision. Evidence of what?
Theres nothing more to the story. So if the money is store property because it was there, isnt termination the result? But in my eyes, it isnt theirs because the money wasnt in the register or behind it.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:23 AM

23,296 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
@julie73

I showed up to work last night, there was just something in the air. I called off tonight though.

My boss doesnt come back until tuesday. If Im being fired, I dont want to wait until then. If evidence is found, shouldnt the firing happen immediately?
OP you don't know what your boss would or would not say to you. If he/she is a reasonable person he'll at least want the chance to weigh all the evidence and hear all sides to the story, including yours. How you found the bill, what you did with it and why. He might be waiting for this before deciding whether to fire you or not, reprimand you or not, do nothing or not.

He might want to give you a chance to turn the money in as you should have done in the first place. So, you've already spent it. That's your problem. If you have any backbone at all you'll face the music, tell the truth, and then accept what comes next. If you can't even face your boss, well, that isn't going to make you look anything other than guilty. Don't forget that being fired for cause (and that includes just not showing up for work) isn't going to help you get that next job or even qualify for unemployment, so consider carefully. OTOH, if you explain what happened and admit making a mistake you might get another chance.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-29-2019 at 02:35 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OP you don't know what your boss would or would not say to you. If he/she is a reasonable person he'll at least want the chance to weigh all the evidence and hear all sides to the story, including yours. How you found the bill, what you did with it and why. He might be waiting for this before deciding whether to fire you or not, reprimand you or not, do nothing or not. He might want to give you a chance to turn the money in as you should have done in the first place. So, you've already spent it. That's your problem. If you have any backbone at all you'll face the music, tell the truth, and then accept what comes next. If you can't even face your boss, well, that isn't going to make you look anything other than guilty. Don't forget that being fired for cause (including just not showing up for work) isn't going to help you get that next job, so consider carefully.
Yes, it is spent. I already had took cash out that day to get my car fixed but the repair didnt happen until the next day because i missed a call. So i already had cash in my purse, i even paid the cashier with cash when i usually pay with a card. Thats why it might look like the money couldve belonged to me as far as the video.

I didnt just stop going, i called off. Im actually off for 3 days, so on tuesday i wont even be there when my boss comes back.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Theres nothing more to the story. So if the money is store property because it was there, isnt termination the result? But in my eyes, it isnt theirs because the money wasnt in the register or behind it.
Found money is not store property. If they find that the money fell out of the register somehow then naturally as the 'rightful owner' they want it back. But finding stray money is not theft, not the same as if you took it from the register. The ethical thing to have done would be to report it and turn it in, but I totally get the temptation to keep it and not report it, but that does look bad from a moral standpoint.

I can't make guarantees because there might be some company out there with some weird policy about turning in found money, but I can say that in thirty years of working dozens of retail locations (including as mgt) that I have never seen anyone fired over finding money. And that includes people who chose to keep it rather than turn it in. I've seen employees turn it over to the police rather than the store. I've seen customers turn found money in to the store, I've seen customers keep the money and leave contact info just in case the rightful owner came looking. The money does not belong to the store just because that's where it was found

Typically it works like this. The money is reported and turned in. It gets rung up at the register under a special register function and the name of the person finding it gets recorded. After the official waiting period, if the money hasn't been claimed by the rightful owner the money gets taken out under a special function, similar to a refund, and given back to the finder. This is all documented, names are recorded, etc. In my long experience the store never just gets to keep money that someone else finds. It's not theirs, in spite of what some ill informed people are trying to tell you. (all bets are off if the money did come from a register though)

If you've already spent the money I still think you should let your mgt know that you found it, in case the rightful owner does come by to inquire about it. You'd need to be prepared to find a way to give the money back if the owner does turn up, but honestly I think the chances of that are pretty slim. I've rarely seen it happen. Unless you work for a really crap company or manager termination over not reporting found money is not very likely. I have never seen anything in writing that says you are required to turn found money in, and remember that I deal with this often so I've seen what they do have in writing. I think people are dog piling you for the fun of scaring you.

Your biggest concern is if the money did come from the register and it was short that day. If that's the case and they have you on video picking up money that will look bad. If the register isn't short then don't sweat it. People here love to pile on, don't let them turn this into something worse than it is.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is spent. I already had took cash out that day to get my car fixed but the repair didnt happen until the next day because i missed a call. So i already had cash in my purse, i even paid the cashier with cash when i usually pay with a card. Thats why it might look like the money couldve belonged to me as far as the video.

I didnt just stop going, i called off. Im actually off for 3 days, so on tuesday i wont even be there when my boss comes back.
You just aren't getting it. YOU still took money that wasn't yours to take. YOU didn't turn the found bill in to your store's manager. YOU didn't give the real owner of that money a decent chance to get it back. YOU spent money that wasn't yours to spend. Who cares what you happened to have in your purse? Calling off still makes you look bad. Do you really think your boss won't guess why you don't want come to work? It is sort of like faking being sick to avoid a test at school that you didn't study for.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You just aren't getting it. YOU still took money that wasn't yours to take. YOU didn't turn the found bill in to your store's manager. YOU didn't give the real owner of that money a decent chance to get it back. YOU spent money that wasn't yours to spend. Who cares what you happened to have in your purse? Calling off still makes you look bad. Do you really think your boss won't guess why you don't want come to work? It is sort of like faking being sick to avoid a test at school that you didn't study for.
You act like i called for a week. It was only yesterday. Im already off for 3 days anyways.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Found money is not store property. If they find that the money fell out of the register somehow then naturally as the 'rightful owner' they want it back. But finding stray money is not theft, not the same as if you took it from the register. The ethical thing to have done would be to report it and turn it in, but I totally get the temptation to keep it and not report it, but that does look bad from a moral standpoint.

I can't make guarantees because there might be some company out there with some weird policy about turning in found money, but I can say that in thirty years of working dozens of retail locations (including as mgt) that I have never seen anyone fired over finding money. And that includes people who chose to keep it rather than turn it in. I've seen employees turn it over to the police rather than the store. I've seen customers turn found money in to the store, I've seen customers keep the money and leave contact info just in case the rightful owner came looking. The money does not belong to the store just because that's where it was found

Typically it works like this. The money is reported and turned in. It gets rung up at the register under a special register function and the name of the person finding it gets recorded. After the official waiting period, if the money hasn't been claimed by the rightful owner the money gets taken out under a special function, similar to a refund, and given back to the finder. This is all documented, names are recorded, etc. In my long experience the store never just gets to keep money that someone else finds. It's not theirs, in spite of what some ill informed people are trying to tell you. (all bets are off if the money did come from a register though)

If you've already spent the money I still think you should let your mgt know that you found it, in case the rightful owner does come by to inquire about it. You'd need to be prepared to find a way to give the money back if the owner does turn up, but honestly I think the chances of that are pretty slim. I've rarely seen it happen. Unless you work for a really crap company or manager termination over not reporting found money is not very likely. I have never seen anything in writing that says you are required to turn found money in, and remember that I deal with this often so I've seen what they do have in writing. I think people are dog piling you for the fun of scaring you.

Your biggest concern is if the money did come from the register and it was short that day. If that's the case and they have you on video picking up money that will look bad. If the register isn't short then don't sweat it. People here love to pile on, don't let them turn this into something worse than it is.
I was never told that the drawer was short and its been about 5 days now.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
You act like i called for a week. It was only yesterday. Im already off for 3 days anyways.
The number of days you called off doesn't matter. You were trying to avoid something you should have faced up to. Trying to explain what you should have done is obviously a lost cause. Guess all we can hope is that you didn't hurt the innocent person who lost their money too badly.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:47 AM

938 posts, read 446,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Wow so you're edgy.....

You and your dad seem like great people.
Wasn't trying to be 'edgy,' was trying to see if somebody needed help.

What should I have done? You tell me.
And what does my dad have to do with it? I found the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment