U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 05:18 PM

4,343 posts, read 7,987,569 times

Advertisements

The key is to not be late. For the most part - you are shooting for 15 min early just to add some cushion in case something happens on your way there.

How much cushion you actually give really depends on the location. Living in the DC metro area - I'll typically shoot for 30-45 min early as traffic will always F with you. If by chance I actually arrive 30-45 before my scheduled time, I can always find a coffee shop and just relax and go over my notes. This just eliminates any stress - something I don't need before I'm interviewing for a job.

I used to arrive and announce myself 10-15 min before my appt. But after years of managing staff and conducting interviews myself. I realized I don't really care when the candidate arrives as long as they are not more than a few mins late.

Of course, the opinion that counts the most is the person conducting the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 06:07 PM

5,161 posts, read 9,727,612 times
I've always lived by the philosophy that if you aren't 15 minutes early, you are 15 minutes late. Its served me well.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 AM

120 posts, read 63,593 times
One thing I'll add from my experience at a recent interview at a firm in a large Manhattan office building - allow substantial time to get through security once you're in the building lobby. This didn't used to be a concern before 9/11, but nowadays in big office buildings in big cities, anywhere that's security conscious, it can take 15-20 minutes to get through security (sign in, photo, visitor's pass) if there's a line and only 1-2 security guards tasked to register visitors.

I thought I was early but arrived at the office upstairs (what really counts) just on time.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 AM

1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't think the interviewer really even knows what time you arrive unless you are late. It's the receptionist who knows.
Yes, there is no checkbox for them to report to the hiring manager if you arrived 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes early. You need to be not late that's all. If it makes you feel better to be sitting in your car or the starbucks next door 30 minutes before the interview than do it.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:22 AM

1,547 posts, read 401,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Years ago I read that the best time to arrive was around five minutes or so right before the interview, so I did that on interviews.

Guess I'll arrive a little earlier.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-e...b02e7a705c1e15
Quote:
Amy Polefrone, the CEO of HR Strategy Group, told HuffPost that 10-15 minutes early is best because it shows that ďyouíre ready, youíre eager and that you have your game face on.Ē
So the receptionist or the security guard is really going to monitor you to see if you are ready, eager and have a game face on. And how and where is this information recorded and passed along? It isn't.

And what does Amy do at HR Strategy Group? She advises HR departments which is why this article was published to give free advertising for her firm so she gets more customers for her company. Maybe the article should be about something really useful, like telling HR not to have 3-4 rounds of interviews for every non-supervisory job.

What adult doesn't know you shouldn't be late to any sort of appointment?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 471,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Years ago I read that the best time to arrive was around five minutes or so right before the interview, so I did that on interviews.

Guess I'll arrive a little earlier.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-e...b02e7a705c1e15
I've always done 15 min before.

But.... The nuts & bolts of the interview matter.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 AM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
So the receptionist or the security guard is really going to monitor you to see if you are ready, eager and have a game face on. And how and where is this information recorded and passed along? It isn't.
Rule #1 of any office setting is to make sure the receptionist knows and likes you. They influence decisions more than people realize, and are definitely asked what they think of candidates.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 1,695,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't think the interviewer really even knows what time you arrive unless you are late. It's the receptionist who knows.
Strange, because at the last two places Iíve worked, theyíve specifically asked the receptionist what time people arrived and for any observations about the interviewee. I know one manager would ding people for being way too early, for example.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 AM

12,170 posts, read 10,349,101 times
This really isn't that difficult. Arrive before your interview and you will be fine. If they check some box saying you didn't arrive early enough (which no one in their right mind would do) then I wouldn't want to work there anyways!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,548,773 times
Iím always walking in 15 mins early but arrive way earlier than that to make sure I donít hit traffic. I get a coffee, prepare myself mentally and relax for a few before walking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or