U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM

834 posts, read 652,958 times

Advertisements

This has always been a question by people who obviously compromise to opinion else they'd be unemployed...

Unless you're a math or engineering savant you're not going to hold a job being a misfit or socially awkward.. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you and will fail to provide evidence..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM

85 posts, read 61,636 times
As much as I want to say it doesn't matter... in some cases it can.

For example: I had a job once where most people had a positive opinion of me and my ability to do my job. Doesn't mean the always liked me or were my buddies but they respected me... if I had to guess.. prob around 300 or so people felt this way.

In the end it was literally the 3 or 4 people that really mattered that didn't. These were the people with buddies that went higher up in the company...long story short..Out the door I went.

So I guess you need to find those people in your company that it really matters what their opinion of you is and invest some time in those relationships. Unfortunately this could mean spending time you should be using to work on small talk.

I used to laugh at people who do this. I'm not laughing anymore.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:48 AM

2,598 posts, read 2,301,537 times
I work with a bunch of overgrown 13 year olds who cannot stop spreading baseless rumors about people. I don't care what they think of me. I clock in, do my job, clock out, and go home.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM

780 posts, read 203,493 times
My only wish is that they show me mutual respect. I don't care if they don't like me as a person, that's their problem, not mine. But when I have to work with you, show me respect. I do the same to them in a collaborative environment.

There is at least one co-worker (ironically enough younger than me) who treats me like she thinks I'm an idiot. And I admit, I'm new to the industry and I'm still learning things and I don't always have a definitive answer. But that's what we all signed up for when my hiring manager hired me with the team's buy in. If she doesn't like it, then we all need to have a talk with my manager to decide if this is still a good fit for me and the rest of the team. If they didn't want to bring on someone who had a learning curve, then they should not have offered me a job in the first place. Dealing with them has been the biggest factor in me even remotely considering leaving the job and company altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or