U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,115,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
No, when asked to interview, I would ask if it would be in person or phone, explaining that I currently live in city 'x'.

I do not have full time employment, I have part time, I need full time.

I am looking in six markets, so it would be hard for me to get my linkedin to match up.

I am looking for work in the urban planning field, which means 70% of the jobs are local government.
What should I do?
Remove your address from you resume. When applying for a position, put the city/state of the target job. But be prepared to go to an in-person interview on short notice. Most places are doing phone interviews first anyway. So, you'd have a week or two to book a flight, maybe.
Remove your location from Linkedin too. Under your LI profile section, select United States and put in all zeroes for the zip code.
I've done this and I get calls for jobs all over the country. Also, a good idea to let recruiters know which locations you're open to. You can do this in the "Career Interests" section of Linkedin as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,149,484 times
I'd just pick the desired place to live, and go from there.

Trying to apply for different areas is rather dramatic, and something most employers aren't interested in rewarding.

If you can't even commit to an area and get established there before applying, why would they think you're stable and dependable?

Old 04-30-2019, 01:51 PM

761 posts, read 260,116 times
People somewhat overstate the problem. People get jobs all the time out of market. Is it something that could keep you from being considered? Absolutely..but that doesn’t mean it always will.

In your situation ie a pretty specialized field with relatively small numbers of open positions across the country...I dont think an out of market application would even raise an eyebrow. Its like telling people looking for associate professor gigs to only look in one place (ie very silly).

It all depends on skill set and the demand/supply relationship.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:05 PM

4,496 posts, read 2,885,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from Tennessee, but landed an opportunity in Iowa and in Indiana out of state.

I was forthcoming with that I wasn't local. I think the big factor is that those locations aren't "sexy," but had well below average unemployment rates at the time. Companies needed workers and few people from out of the area want to relocate to the Midwest.
^^ Pretty much this. If you spring for jobs where they need to hire out-of-town, then that won't be a factor. They'll understand that much, and do a phone screening first to keep the costs of both parties down. When they schedule an in-person interview, they'll give you plenty of time in advance. If they partially or fully pay/reimburse travel and lodging fees, all the better, as they wouldn't be wasting your time and their money if they didn't think you weren't a viable candidate.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd just pick the desired place to live, and go from there.

Trying to apply for different areas is rather dramatic, and something most employers aren't interested in rewarding.

If you can't even commit to an area and get established there before applying, why would they think you're stable and dependable?
My approach has always been to shotgun a large volume apps in a couple of target cities. If I apply for twenty jobs in the time it takes to apply for two, I'll likely get more interviews and offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
People somewhat overstate the problem. People get jobs all the time out of market. Is it something that could keep you from being considered? Absolutely..but that doesn’t mean it always will.

In your situation ie a pretty specialized field with relatively small numbers of open positions across the country...I dont think an out of market application would even raise an eyebrow. Its like telling people looking for associate professor gigs to only look in one place (ie very silly).

It all depends on skill set and the demand/supply relationship.
They do, but it's an obvious handicap. The person has to research where their field is in demand, where unemployment is low, where companies are hiring, and any other personal factors they want to take into consideration.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
^^ Pretty much this. If you spring for jobs where they need to hire out-of-town, then that won't be a factor. They'll understand that much, and do a phone screening first to keep the costs of both parties down. When they schedule an in-person interview, they'll give you plenty of time in advance. If they partially or fully pay/reimburse travel and lodging fees, all the better, as they wouldn't be wasting your time and their money if they didn't think you weren't a viable candidate.
The big thing is that, unless you're very specialized, it's highly unlikely a company will fly someone from Tennessee to Seattle or whatever. You'd likely need to be a senior manager or a high level individual contributor, probably at the national expert level, to get that treatment.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 AM
bUU

11,884 posts, read 8,668,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And IF, IF you're asked about it, verbally, NOT in a casual way -- but specifically in such a way that you suspect they already know and have caught you......I still on't know that I'd say: "using a local address on your resume and in LinkedIn is "generally necessary to be considered seriously for a local position." THAT is essence is admitting you lied.
I disagree. There's a difference. If the employer doesn't see it that way, then you wouldn't have gotten the job anyway.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It is important to remember something in the world of work: Management is responsible for the process. In the context of recruiting and applying for jobs, management sets the process and therefore management is substantially responsible for what candidates are forced to do to secure opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
In essence it's saying, "I had to do that or you wouldn't have even given me an interview."
That's exactly what it is saying, and that would have been both truthful and true.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM

12,187 posts, read 10,378,713 times
I get more hits on my resume when I spend more time on them. If I do 20 spray and pray resumes and 5 very individualized resumes, I'd get 1 hit out of 5 minimum and usually 2 or 3 and maybe 1 out of the other 20 if I'm lucky.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 AM
bUU

11,884 posts, read 8,668,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I get more hits on my resume when I spend more time on them. If I do 20 spray and pray resumes and 5 very individualized resumes, I'd get 1 hit out of 5 minimum and usually 2 or 3 and maybe 1 out of the other 20 if I'm lucky.
That doesn't really support spending more time individualizing resumes. That typically takes me a half hour minimum (versus 3 minutes when I don't). By your numbers, I'd get 20 hits an hour from the spray-and-pray and just 5 from the individualized resume approach.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:13 PM

812 posts, read 1,744,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Remove your address from you resume. When applying for a position, put the city/state of the target job. But be prepared to go to an in-person interview on short notice. Most places are doing phone interviews first anyway. So, you'd have a week or two to book a flight, maybe.
Remove your location from Linkedin too. Under your LI profile section, select United States and put in all zeroes for the zip code.
I've done this and I get calls for jobs all over the country. Also, a good idea to let recruiters know which locations you're open to. You can do this in the "Career Interests" section of Linkedin as well.
Thank you VERY much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment