U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 476,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Lineman. Love it. Cleared $136k last year (thanks to overtime). Top pay currently $38.15/hr but over 40 it's 1.5x and past 51 it's 2.0x pay. Call outs are 2.0x.

Putting $20k/year into retirement but I will die in these boots. You don't walk away from a job like this, you love it until you can't climb (or climb into that bucket truck) anymore.

Management would not be nearly as thrilling.
If my math is current, you are averaging around 60 hours a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 867,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Basically 10 hours a day for 6 days a week year around. Probably exaggerating. And I'm wondering where he is a lineman at. That pay would make him well above the top %10 of linemen pay in the country. There is so much exacerating and BS on here to glorify trades its ridiculous. Just read the link below.

https://work.chron.com/much-electric...year-3128.html

Old 05-02-2019, 01:50 PM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Basically 10 hours a day for 6 days a week year around. Probably exaggerating. And I'm wondering where he is a lineman at. That pay would make him well above the top %10 of linemen pay in the country. There is so much exacerating and BS on here to glorify trades its ridiculous. Just read the link below.

From your own article, I don't think it's clear at all he's exaggerating.

courses and field training as a first-year apprentice lineman.
As of May 2018, PayScale.com reported that an entry-level lineman with zero to five years of experience earned a median yearly salary of $50,617, with half making less and half making more. ....Southeastern Line Constructors Apprenticeship and Training listed a starting wage as being 60 percent of a journeyman's $23.54 to $38.38 an hour wage.

The median salary they list here is for zero to 5 years experience. OP may have 20 years in. Per OP, the top salary where he works is $38.15, which is right in line with the article. he was very clear he makes the extra due to overtime. Work holidays, work 18 hour shifts in a blizzard or after a n'or easter and it is easy for that overtime rate of $76 an hour to accrue.

What a nerve to look up an article and use to it accuse someone of lying.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:22 PM

22,041 posts, read 14,615,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I own a company that is "in the trades." For privacy reasons I can't divulge what type of trade I'm in, but what I can tell you is that the labor shortage is very real.
Oh please

Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM

22,041 posts, read 14,615,064 times
Quote:
First things first...the Orlando Sentinel, and the Tallahassee paper are die hard left leaning liberals establishments. Posting articles from either of them in no way lends or adds any credibility to your response. They don't even qualify as news sources, they are left wing propaganda machines, nothing more.
You've already disqualified yourself, no need to read the rest of what you wrote.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,324,912 times
Quote:
First things first...the Orlando Sentinel, and the Tallahassee paper are die hard left leaning liberals establishments. Posting articles from either of them in no way lends or adds any credibility to your response. They don't even qualify as news sources, they are left wing propaganda machines, nothing more.

Now, let me tell you my actual direct experience with Unions, which is more than any of these pencil neck authors have I assure you. We built a restaurant some years back in Baltimore. We had several trades that traveled all over the east coast that did our work for us, because they understood every detail of how the buildings were to be done, and we trusted them. We could build these restaurants in 90 days start to finish, quicker than most Contractors can build a regular house these days. Our block/brick masons were from Louisiana, which is quite a haul. When we started construction, the union thugs in the town tried to force us to use their union labor, at MUCH higher rates than what our subcontractors who had travel/meal/fuel costs added in the mix cost. Had we done so, we would have lost money on the project. Lose enough money and you go out of business, simple as that. Unions don't care about economics though, that much is clear.

Probably because, as one example, in the union rules, you had to have 2 people to hande one block when it's being laid. Our Louisiana boys, who could lay 12" block with one hand by themselves all day, laughed at this, but that's besides the point. Two men to handle the job of one. That's not helpful to the company to double the manpower costs, and that's just one tiny, tiny example of the ludicrous union rules that make them a thing of the past.

Now, once our guys got done laying the block walls and laying all the brick, which incidentally only took them 2 days, whereas a union sub would've taken all week, the next morning when we went to the job, there were union thugs with guns that tried to intimidate us from coming onto the project. Well, needless to say, they didn't, and we went anyways, and lo and behold, these union guys had plastered all the new brick and block work with oil filled balloons. So yeah, our guys had to tear it all down and re-do it, which they did, in another 2 days, which still took less time than a slow union crew could've done the job just once.

So you can tout the merits of the unions all you want, but my experience puts them at the level of feral animals.

So I'll continue to drink any flavored Kool Aid I so desire, and because I don't have a union representative telling me what kind and when to drink it, I will savor its delishness with zest and fervor.

We got the job done, everyone went home happy, and nobody had to pay any dues out of their checks. You can post links until the world ends, and I will never, ever support the role of unions in America. Ever.

SS
Well, well, speaking of a huge crock-- I'd think the bigger issue may be why you think anyone really cares about your positions regarding unions, as though you haven't made them plainly clear through the whiny years of posting. I responded to your thoughtless diatribe for the benefit of others who may not be so brainwashed by the "business union" you continually advocate for. I've read through your earlier posts that elevate yourself to a saint like status as Der-Owner, and frankly you seem to have little restraint when it comes to BS braggadocio... Now go to work being that saintly wholesome boss you advertise yourself as..

Old 05-02-2019, 03:29 PM

7,393 posts, read 4,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm hearing a lot lately about job openings in "the trades", and how there are a shortage of qualified workers and that many trades jobs pay well. Off hand I'm thinking of plumbers, electricians, jobs in construction... what other trades jobs are there and if you work in one of those do you enjoy it to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!
I manage a small plumbing company. I love the job itself and it is a field that pays very well. We struggle to find good help, both in the office and the field.

I am not sure why that is the case. A few of us are dedicated and give it our everything, while others just do enough to get by. It is not that kind of job. The hours can be long. The work can be crappy... literally.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 PM

1,744 posts, read 1,416,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post

I'm a tradesman in NYC. My union's journeyman rate is currently $41.75 an hour, and many of us with 10 ten years or more under our belt are paid over scale. That puts the base pay for a journeyman (assuming they worked a full 40 hours each week) at over $86k. Add in overtime, which is x1.5 for anything over 8 hours a day and x2 for Sundays, holidays, and work between 12am and 8 am, and seeing over $100k per year is easy.

Hell, I did it while actively avoiding overtime.

That being said, I moved my family to NY because of the increased pay. In NC, I made about $35K as a non-union technician, and about $45k once I starting working under a CBA. The increase in NY more than covers the increased cost of living. And, thanks to the CBA, I don't work for a owner who's looking to squeeze every dime out of me no no matter the cost.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 PM

3,916 posts, read 1,023,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes that's what they average, but it swings wildly. I could work two back to back 40 hour weeks, then three 72 hour weeks. I grab hours when available and always answer my phone.

My family has always been unorthodox in the sense that we "schedule the holidays when convenient" (both mine and my wife's family are like this - we don't butt heads over this) typically celebrating the weekend before. I volunteer to be on-call on the holiday, everybody wins.

There are guys out there that make 200k (and are still married, I don't know how, maybe they're never home to be served papers LOL) but I like to get 8 hours of sleep each night!

The work schedule is M-F 7-4 because the job is primarily maintenance and planned upgrades. Call-outs only happen when infrastructure is damaged or reported unsafe.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM

470 posts, read 112,487 times
The best thing about trade is to learn it and then open your own business and have people do the hard labor. I knew a guy who did that. Now he sits in a nice office and collect paychecks every single month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or