U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM

21,505 posts, read 17,100,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
0 to 5 years: $48,000
5 to 10 years: $54,000
10 to 20 years: $64,000
20 or more years: $62,000

The bottom 10 percent of electrical linemen made under $37,600, while the top 10 percent earned very generous wages over $99,860

Where is the $130,000 part??? Bottom line is wages are exaggerated on here and stated as if everyone in a trade is making what the top %1 make. 99% of people trying to become a lineman aren't going to make that much. Where are the posters making 37k as linemen hiding on here?? Additionally, there aren't actually that many lineman jobs available. I could start out working a job required a degree and become a CEO making millions per year. SO what if it isn't realistic.
Again OP said he works almost all holidays and always goes in when they call. When he does so he's making $76 an hour. It is easily possible to get to $130,000. Heck, back before EZPass, NJ toll takers were taking home $100,000 with overtime, and they didn't make as much base pay as that poster was.

About 25 years ago, south Jersey had a severe and highly unusual ice storm that took out power to millions, at a time when it was freezing cold outside. The electric companies had linesmen coming in from multiple states to get the power back as quickly as possible. We evacuated to a hotel nearby that had power, and it was packed with linesmen from several states. They were throwing money around like water in the hotel bar, one guy bought my fiancé and I drinks as soon as we walked in and we never saw him before. They were doing that because they were being paid a small fortune for this emergency work. Averages are just that, depending on area people can make much higher than an article that uses median average, or typical wages states.

What benefit would he get out of exaggerating his salary??? There's no reason to think it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 11:50 AM

471 posts, read 112,945 times
Quote:
So its that easy is it? That's not how it works at all. Being a business owner is hard work and very risky. When you're small you do the physical work yourself while also trying to run the business. Many go out of business and lose everything.

In the beginning, this gentleman had no education and could barely speak English so he couldn't find work. So he had to create his own job. Eventually, that job grew to 2 people, 3 people, and eventually, it became a large enough that he can afford to hire managers, supervisors, staffs, etc and now all he does is manage his business.

If making money was easy, we all be rich and sitting at home, watching Jerry Springer on TV. It's people who have guts and balls that make it work. While others work for the guy or gal with guts and balls. Being a business owner is never easy, I should know. It takes years and years of hard work. But the risk is worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by mikefong123; 05-03-2019 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 AM

3,920 posts, read 1,025,413 times
Quote:
0 to 5 years: $48,000
5 to 10 years: $54,000
10 to 20 years: $64,000
20 or more years: $62,000

The bottom 10 percent of electrical linemen made under $37,600, while the top 10 percent earned very generous wages over $99,860

Where is the $130,000 part??? Bottom line is wages are exaggerated on here and stated as if everyone in a trade is making what the top %1 make. 99% of people trying to become a lineman aren't going to make that much. Where are the posters making 37k as linemen hiding on here?? Additionally, there aren't actually that many lineman jobs available. I could start out working a job required a degree and become a CEO making millions per year. SO what if it isn't realistic.
Lots of contractors like Pike where top lineman pay is $25/hour. Whether 5 years of exp or 20.

I am a telephone construction lineman - not power - I don't deserve any of the heroic glory those guys get. Full time for big blue. We hang fiber optics, and yes, some copper, still. Union guy. Lots of overtime. I already stated my hourly wage: $38.15. So the rest is overtime.

These websites don't factor in overtime, shift differentials, or holiday pay, but it's all real money above my base of $79.352. But there's NO way to work this job and work only 40 hours. You'd eventually get fired for leaving in the middle of jobs!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Another thing about Trade is that you can work for an employer and earn stable income, while also do side job on the weekend for more money than their current hourly pay. I've hired many people on the side to fix my car, appliances, and house. They charge more than their hourly wages and yet charge less than their company. It's a win for them and for the person who hires them.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM

3,920 posts, read 1,025,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Another thing about Trade is that you can work for an employer and earn stable income, while also do side job on the weekend for more money than their current hourly pay. I've hired many people on the side to fix my car, appliances, and house. They charge more than their hourly wages and yet charge less than their company. It's a win for them and for the person who hires them.
Agree. Once you do so many jobs under the protections of your employer, you are taking less of a risk working on problems you've tackled prior, and can benefit from operating with less overhead. Insured/bonded doesn't hurt, though.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM

21,505 posts, read 17,100,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Why would anyone lie? Makes them feel good? But Yes a lineman can make those numbers... Its Called BLOOD MONEY... and its NOT FUN...and lots of people make that kind of money and only work 40 hrs a week and dont work like a slave at the Owners command.. AND HE wont be doing that for too many years..They pay well for linemen because its brutal work.. It doesn't take much in the way of education thats for sure. But its Hard and can be very dangerous.. During an outage do some act like Drunken Sailors on shore leave? No Doubt a few do.. The ones new to the routine.. But that will end.. they get home and have little to show for the work they did.. "Bill Mullins said pay cuts basically forced him into retirement when he gave up his $66,000-a-year job as a New Jersey Turnpike toll collector, a job he held for more than three decades." to TAKE HOME $100K he wouold have to make $140K and the REAL NUMBER is $66K
What is your problem? OP said he loved his job and hopes he never has to give it up. Again, not going to sit here and accuse people of being liars. What are, Intrepid Boy Reporter or something?? I think you're being ridiculous.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 868,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
In the beginning, this gentleman had no education and could barely speak English so he couldn't find work. So he had to create his own job. Eventually, that job grew to 2 people, 3 people, and eventually, it became a large enough that he can afford to hire managers, supervisors, staffs, etc and now all he does is manage his business.

If making money was easy, we all be rich and sitting at home, watching Jerry Springer on TV. It's people who have guts and balls that make it work. While others work for the guy or gal with guts and balls. Being a business owner is never easy, I should know. It takes years and years of hard work. But the risk is worth it in my opinion.
"Guts and balls"?

In the real world it also takes years of experience, knowledge, business acumen, a lot of money, salesmanship, relationships, and a little luck. I've never heard a real successful business owner describe it as taking "guts and balls."

Old 05-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
"Guts and balls"?

In the real world it also takes years of experience, knowledge, business acumen, a lot of money, salesmanship, relationships, and a little luck. I've never heard a real successful business owner describe it as taking "guts and balls."

None of that matters if you don't gave Guts and Balls to do it in the first place. Guts and Balls comes first. You gotta have the Balls to make the decision to become a business owner.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 4,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm hearing a lot lately about job openings in "the trades", and how there are a shortage of qualified workers and that many trades jobs pay well. Off hand I'm thinking of plumbers, electricians, jobs in construction... what other trades jobs are there and if you work in one of those do you enjoy it to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!
Here in western Kentucky, we have a shortage of tradesman, it seems the youngins' don't want to put in the effort to make it to the journeyman level - they just want to start a job at $100k with an arts degree.

I have back to back associate degrees in electronics and chemistry, neither paid well. It wasn't until a 4-year apprenticeship in the electrical field specializing in industrial automation did my pay quadruple.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,138,112 times
Some of these average salary lookups are way, WAY, WAAAAAY off and I mean that in an exceptionally low ballpark. I don't quite understand how they arrive at their figures really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or