U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,418,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You did. You said he had to beat out 89 other applicants to get “the” spot, meaning 90 applicants are vying for “the” (one) spot. If there are more applicants than positions there is not a labor shortage.
Sorry, but I have no desire to argue semantics with random strangers on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,418,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Berteau,

It is CD forums, here every tradeperson makes at least 100k per year, works 22 hour days, has never been laid off and loves their jobs.

The same posters will also complain about immigrants taking away jobs in construction and trades and being unable to find work at a fair wage.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. What is obvious is that right wing media must be talking about trades. The posts have been flying fast and furious in here, and they all seem to have a political angle. Like, I work in the trades and carry 1000 lb bags of stuff with my pinkie unlike those millennial college pukes. It is weird how manual labor and hating education is now part of the GOP voter persona.

I am like many others, the child of tradespeople and the product of a blue collar family. One of the few things that was stressed growing up, was the fact that my dad didn't bust his ass all those years just to watch his kids work in the trades like he did. Almost every person that I have ever met with a similar background has a story like that to tell.
Sorry to disappoint, but I typically only work 8 hours a day.
And I'm a Democrat.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM

3,917 posts, read 1,029,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but I typically only work 8 hours a day.
And I'm a Democrat.
Double time was added to the union contract to discourage the company from working us more than 10 hours of overtime per week.

Sort of backfired and you have a few guys who double their base pay in overtime each year. Company just relented and instead of making OT mandatory for all, let it be voluntary and the hours took care of themselves. Enough people came forward willingly, despite not everyone working the same amount of hours.

Didn't matter at that point.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

2,329 posts, read 1,620,106 times
Quote:
Berteau,

It is CD forums, here every tradeperson makes at least 100k per year, works 22 hour days, has never been laid off and loves their jobs.

I worked in a warehouse when I was in college. This was in the late 70's here in florida. Most middle class family's here were making around 30K. I saw these guys going out making over 1k a week. I was making $150.00 a week then. I would have some of these guys bumming money by mid week from me. Most those guys were not the sharpest tools for sure. Most spent their days at the bars by 3 and rented all their lives. Some did not take advantage of opportunity's that were in front of them.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Berteau,

The same posters will also complain about immigrants taking away jobs in construction and trades and being unable to find work at a fair wage.

Trades were a lot different in the 70's and 80's. I would rarely see anyone from central America working in the trades. African Americans made up at least 20% of the workforce when I first started. By the 90's in florida when the flood of illegals came, African Americans were the first to lose there jobs. Most of the lazy and average whites were next. I was in business for a little while with a "legal man" from San Salvador. Ever year he made the trip back home to pick up 5 to 6 illegals to work on his farm and work construction.
Wage suppression is real in the trades down here. Big difference being a child of a trades person then actually being in the trades. Some trades get impacted much different then the others as well as in different parts of the country.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM

22,069 posts, read 14,631,558 times
Quote:
Berteau,

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. What is obvious is that right wing media must be talking about trades. The posts have been flying fast and furious in here, and they all seem to have a political angle. Like, I work in the trades and carry 1000 lb bags of stuff with my pinkie unlike those millennial college pukes. It is weird how manual labor and hating education is now part of the GOP voter persona.

I am like many others, the child of tradespeople and the product of a blue collar family. One of the few things that was stressed growing up, was the fact that my dad didn't bust his ass all those years just to watch his kids work in the trades like he did. Almost every person that I have ever met with a similar background has a story like that to tell.
Truer words....

Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,953 posts, read 5,349,119 times
Quote:
Berteau,

Yup. I was always told "work with your mind, not your back"

Old 05-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post

Unfortunately not everyone with a college degree got the "golden ticket". Too many were told, that's all it would take to live the good life. Working the trades is not the answer for everyone and a degree is not as well. life is about options and you hope you pick the right one.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM

3,917 posts, read 1,029,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
People working with their mind have to think their way above their pay grade for a CHANCE at a promotion. If a panel of people don't agree you're THE one, you stay in your pay band.

If I want a "promotion", all I have to do is work over 40 hours and that time is a 50% raise, or a 100% raise (in my case).

Funny, I have zero stress at my physical job, and had plenty when I sat behind a desk.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 10,712,044 times
I've done both career paths. I'm a licensed electrician, and also a degreed Mechanical Engineer. I did 10 years full time as an electrician doing residential, and then later commercial and industrial wiring, and then changed career paths to become an engineer for the last 12 years.

There's pros and cons to both career paths, and also a lot of misconceptions. I enjoy reading these types of threads where I have an unique perspective of being active on both sides and seeing how it really is.

I have to chuckle at some of the comments about "working with your mind, and your with your back" because in my last 1-2 years of actively working as an electrician, I was wiring up control systems for draw bridges. I spent most of my day reading plans, and tracing wires, and working with electrical engineers to upgrade older systems to new modern control systems. Very little hard work, and mostly complex thinking. I also made damn good money pulling in all sorts of OT. Don't get me wrong...I've dug plenty of ditches in my apprenticeship and early licensed days before getting into more specialized work.

I left due to a non-work related knee injury. Changed career paths, and enjoy the new one equally. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the trade, but I can also say that the stress level isn't any different really..at least for me and my roles.

I could comment as to which one I prefer and for what reasons, but that's just my opinion based on what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or