U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 PM

40 posts, read 12,021 times

Advertisements

One of my coworkers went on vacation, and he did something he didnít tell me about.

My boss was asking, and I really had no idea why he did what he did. My boss was asking me all these questions, I had to get on the phone with the guy he made an agreement with and get more details.

My boss and I just werenít understanding why he did this. I just didnít have an answer, and I said ďIím not sure why he did that. ď and ďIím missing something here.Ē

Idk how to handle these situations. I donít want to make the guy look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Time to start looking for another job

Do you care what your coworkers think?

3 Ways to Come Out on Top if Your Colleague Throws You Under the Bus

The 3 Best Ways to Respond When Your Co-worker Throws You Under the Bus

How To Survive Getting Thrown Under The Bus At Work

Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 PM

40 posts, read 12,021 times
Iím confused. Why?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
One of my coworkers went on vacation, and he did something he didnít tell me about.

My boss was asking, and I really had no idea why he did what he did. My boss was asking me all these questions, I had to get on the phone with the guy he made an agreement with and get more details.

My boss and I just werenít understanding why he did this. I just didnít have an answer, and I said ďIím not sure why he did that. ď and ďIím missing something here.Ē

Idk how to handle these situations. I donít want to make the guy look bad.
He didn't tell you what he did or why. Some important questions may clarify this for you:

a). Were you supposed to know about this or not?
b). Were you expected to answer on his behalf while he was gone?

If the answers are yes, that's become your problem.

If you were not part of or answerable for his action, all you can be is honest with your boss. If he didn't update the people he should have before leaving that was his mistake. He's made himself look bad, not you.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 AM

6,878 posts, read 7,276,074 times
OP, not only is your post confusing, you have no details.....

1) The co-worker was on vacation, when he did whatever he did.....so....

2) Was whatever he did on vacation even WORK related?
3) Why did the boss come to you and ask YOU about whatever it was?
4) Why didn't you just say -- the truth -- I don't know what your'e talking about.

5) You did call your co-worker to give him a heads up about this....so was the co-worker STILL on vacation?... or...
6) Was the co-worker back at work, IF so....again, why were they coming to YOU about this?

7) Do you NOW know what is was your co-worker supposedly did on vacation?

8) If yes, what was it?
9) If no, then the truth still stands as far as your answer to the boss.....you still don't know anything about whatever it is that may or may NOT have happened.

You can't throw someone under a bus, if you're in the dark about whatever it is that may or may not have gone on.

To me, throwing someone under the bus is a more proactive action....you volunteer info to a boss that they didn't have to know...or you mention a co-worker's name in a situation they weren't really central to in the first place, etc.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:53 AM

602 posts, read 452,870 times
What did he do?

Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM

1,091 posts, read 628,317 times
Whether or not the act was intentionally malicious - it could have been a straight up goof - this is an opportunity to show the client that you're a company that puts them first and propose the initiatives to solve the problem while doing so. Try to put things in the company brand perspective even if the error is bewildering and entrenched. Your personal reputation will enhance greatly if you can show you can confidently command the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Time to start looking for another job
...no you should take advantage of the problem, not run at the first sign of trouble.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,832,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
Iím confused. Why?
That's Suburban_Guy for ya. Always negative and always posts similar threads without giving advice.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:28 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,090,209 times
Why is it time to look for another job? The guy did something he wasn't supposed to, went on vacation without telling OP and OP calls the customer to get more details. If OP fixes the problem he looks great.

A number of posters are quick to say get another job. I can't imagine what their resumes must look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or