U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 AM

7,484 posts, read 8,029,928 times

Advertisements

I think you set in your mind that, blue collars workers are more susceptible to bullying because some are ex-cons.

I think you are wrong in that mind set. As a white collar worker, The bullying is real here, but Like some one else has mentioned it's not so much in your face, but it definitely exist in white collar jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,543,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
Bullies exist everywhere...honestly I think you are MORE likely to find them in white collar jobs...workaholics can seem like bullies sometimes. It's just my opinion but I think that the more salaried type jobs there are, then the higher chance of coming across bullies b/c they know they can make you do more for less. I dunno, I've only ever had admin assistant type white collar jobs. I work in a pink collar industry now though but I'm sure there are bullies there as well lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally those in white collar professions are more to cut you off at the knees behind closed doors and behind your back. Those in the blue collar environment, will bully you up front to your face as they have far less professionalism out front and far less discreet.

Both of these. Some of the most passive aggressive, sneaky, not to be trusted people you'll ever meet are in white collar jobs. Especially in tech. Did the silicon valley thing. Some of the longest years of my life.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 AM

3,756 posts, read 2,121,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Sociopaths exist.

See the Gervais Principle.

They're not limited to manufacturing, they're everywhere. If you see a bully, there is a measurable chance they're a sociopath.
Agreed and a companies do a HORRIBLE job in identifying and eliminating them before its too late. Every company Ive ever been apart of that was ran into the ground was without fail, ALWAYS caused by sociopathic people. They will quickly bring a company to its knees if they aren't prevented from doing so and given free reign

Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 AM

101 posts, read 28,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Agreed and a companies do a HORRIBLE job in identifying and eliminating them before its too late. Every company Ive ever been apart of that was ran into the ground was without fail, ALWAYS caused by sociopathic people. They will quickly bring a company to its knees if they aren't prevented from doing so and given free reign

+1

I think also that sociopathy is a spectrum, ranging from just narcissistic manipulative people all the way to the psycopath/Ted Bundy type. People tend to downplay the more "mild" forms of it...but these people do exist and they make horrible bosses.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,702,812 times
My personal experience is that I have worked many blue collar jobs and many white collar jobs, and there are far more bullies, undesirables, and just plain obnoxious people in white collar jobs. Overall, I find the people who work blue collar jobs to be far more pleasant to work with and be around. For the record, I am a college graduate with two degrees and more of a bookish type person rather than an extremely outgoing salesman type.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It seems that way with jobs I've worked in factory and warehouse environment so far, that there has always got to be at least one person though who bullies everyone around, even threatening in ways... Especially when I was in mining, that was really bad for that.

I talked about it with my friends and they said it's because in those jobs, a lot of people with criminal background work in those jobs, and even ex-cons sometimes, trying to make a living, so those kinds of jobs, are more likely going to have more ill-tempered people working there, who may have a more fascist mind, hence, why they probably have committed crimes in the first place, out of some sort of moral superiority complex.

But do you think that's true though, that jobs that are more likely to not hire ex-cons and people with records, would be a more friendly environment to work in?
I think you're confusing bullying with threats of physical violence.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times
The kind of misbehavior towards others that I saw in blue collar jobs reminded me of reliving seventh grade. It was like people had stopped developing socially at that point. It often involved cliques that would gang up on someone who was different. Those cliques could become very powerful in the workplace. Seventh grade all over again.

In White collar jobs it was more subtle and sophisticated but the clique aspect was still there.

I disagree that they are always sociopaths. Sociopaths are only 3-5 percent of the population and yes, do vary in degree of interference with others. I think they run the gamut of disturbed individuals. They are people who aren't well.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:59 PM

4,835 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed. It's kind of like "stabbed with a smile."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think you're confusing bullying with threats of physical violence.
Oh okay. Well isn't threats just another form of it though?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM

4,835 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Oh okay, but isn't physical bullying worse than subtle though, cause it's more physical?

I guess the best way to push back is to report the incidents probably?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 AM

8,721 posts, read 7,673,512 times
There are tons of white collar criminals, their crimes are just more easily concealed and they wear suits. But frequently they are more detestable than common criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment