Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM

235 posts, read 155,828 times

Advertisements

Every day I get called by a hiring manager from Walmart. Despite not being able to find any work at all and, with an Art History degree, no feasible career path it’s still hard for me to bite the bullet and answer their calls. Walmart sounds like a terrible place to work.

I’ve unsuccesfully looked for an entry level office job for five months and was even rejected from an unpaid internship in the same field as my last position. Looks like I’m starting again from the bottom.

To walk you through my resume, I never work in high school or college, and it took me a year after getting my BA with honors to find a job delivering pizza. I quit after three months and a year later spent six months washing dishes. Then I miraculously found a job related to my major, even though at this point I no longer cared to do anything with it. I just needed a job, period. After a year and a half I quit following a mental health breakdown and have been unemployed the past ten months.

I have been financially cut off and am stuck in a lease. I dropped my health insurance. The walls are closing in. Should I work at Taco Bell, McDonald’s, etc? Is it better than Walmart? Can you describe the difference in working in a large retail store or a fast food restaurant for me?

Once my lease is up I plan on moving back in with my mom out of state, so I just need to get by for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,665,997 times
If it's temporary and for survival, whoever will pay you the highest rate and give you the most hours. Nothing else matters.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:25 PM
ERH

1,695 posts, read 2,508,068 times
For career path, I'd go with Walmart.

I know several people who have worked for Walmart their entire careers and worked up the ladder. WM likes to promote from within its own ranks. One guy I know just bought a new house at the beach, and he's only a few years removed from the store level. He's now in some kind of regional management capacity.

Last edited by ERH; 05-15-2019 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,183,185 times
They're all Mcjobs and dead end. So just take the one that pays the most.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post

Can you describe the difference in working in a large retail store or a fast food restaurant for me?
Yes, with the Wal-Mart job you don't have to work with hot griddle and fryers. You don't come home smelling like fast food every night.

You're in survival mode. You don't have the luxury of pooh-poohing viable jobs. Just start acting like it.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
Yeah, just the smell alone would drive me to Walmart. But, it seems like Walmart would be perceived better than a fast food job, unless you worked your wait up to a manager position at the fast food place.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,768,338 times
I truly don't know which is better, but I will say that throughout the years, I've known of 4 people who've worked for various Walmarts w/ NOTHING good to say & 2 of those people got majorly screwed. 1 sued them...never know the outcome. Another got let go for some set-up, suspicious-type reason.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM

15,950 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Walmart will give you a little bit more flexibility, there are different areas of the store to work in and various tasks you might be assigned to do. Retail is a pain, but I think it's the lesser of two evils.
It's been ages since me or anyone in my family has done fast food, but it used to be more of a set type of schedule, either you were a cashier or a fry cook, or whatever, without a lot of crossover in the tasks you were assigned. Also if you don't like working in close quarters with your co-workers, skip the fast food environment.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 PM

7,986 posts, read 3,342,541 times
Wal-mart is much better than McDonalds. I worked at both. McDonalds you never know too far ahead when you worked and they often change your schedule without telling you. Walmart let me know my schedule three weeks ahead so I could plan life outside work better. There were more breaks at Walmart too.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,648,969 times
I have to agree with Walmart. More stability, opportunity for advancement, and the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment