U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 AM

804 posts, read 580,974 times

Advertisements

I just saw Progressive had postings for these for a little over $50,000. The qualifications seem pretty broad and achievable just asking for 5 years experience and some generic things like experience making decisions.

This all led me to believe that there has to be some catch or the job is just horrible. Has anyone ever tried applying to one or work as one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 AM

601 posts, read 300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I just saw Progressive had postings for these for a little over $50,000. The qualifications seem pretty broad and achievable just asking for 5 years experience and some generic things like experience making decisions.

This all led me to believe that there has to be some catch or the job is just horrible. Has anyone ever tried applying to one or work as one?
As an ex-agent for Progressive I know quite a few adjusters and they ALL work >40 hours week since they are on salary. If I work over 40 you will pay me time and a half!

Most of the time you are working in a call center environment where they are routing calls to you while you are trying to work on claims. Then when you have a grasp of the job after a few months they will add more and more claims to your queue and then you are backed-up forever.

The adjusters will usually work when they are on lunch and many come in on a day off to try and get caught up (like on weekends).

Are you getting really excited now?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM

8 posts, read 2,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
As an ex-agent for Progressive I know quite a few adjusters and they ALL work >40 hours week since they are on salary. If I work over 40 you will pay me time and a half!

Most of the time you are working in a call center environment where they are routing calls to you while you are trying to work on claims. Then when you have a grasp of the job after a few months they will add more and more claims to your queue and then you are backed-up forever.

The adjusters will usually work when they are on lunch and many come in on a day off to try and get caught up (like on weekends).

I was almost interviewed for this job but was steered away by the reviews like this on glassdoor. Didn't get the job anyway, but who cares now!

Old 04-30-2019, 09:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,946,857 times
20+ years ago I handled BI and PD claims as an insurance adjuster. Worst job I’ve ever had.

No loss if you didn’t get it.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 PM

661 posts, read 313,080 times
Remember you will see people at their worst - they have just smashed the car, burned down the house, or whatever. Some of them will absolutely take it out on you. It is not a job for those who are thin skinned.

The reward is if it doesn't bother you, that you help someone in time of need.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 AM

9,182 posts, read 3,023,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Remember you will see people at their worst - they have just smashed the car, burned down the house, or whatever. Some of them will absolutely take it out on you. It is not a job for those who are thin skinned.

The reward is if it doesn't bother you, that you help someone in time of need.
As an insurance investigator, I was sometimes sent out by our office's resident claims adjuster, to do some low-echelon adjustment cases. Most of them involved the routine interview every two years, of people who were receiving continuing disability benefits. When the insured parties were told why I was there, they couldn't get their clothes off fast enough, to show me their injured parts. It was not pretty or pleasant work. Others who adjust damage claims on vehicles, at least don't have to see those kinds of things.

Once in a rare while, I encountered some genuine fraud. I arrived at one guy's place, who was supposed to have such a severely-injured back, that he could lift no more than 5 lbs and never climb stairs. He was packing a 90-lb. bundle of firewood over his shoulder and climbing some outdoor steps, two at a time. He was also working off the books, as a log truck driver and getting paid in cash. In addition to the insurance company, he and that employer were also hit hard by Workman's Compensation, federal and state tax agencies and Social Security, for not paying their dues.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM

7,370 posts, read 4,237,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post

I worked as an adjuster briefly. The hours were really long. The stress was unbelievable. The only job I hated more was an insurance agent.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:00 PM

7,370 posts, read 4,237,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

This was my life. I had 100-125 files at a time. And 50 were calling daily on updates of when it would be resolved.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:28 AM

9,182 posts, read 3,023,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This was my life. I had 100-125 files at a time. And 50 were calling daily on updates of when it would be resolved.

And with that kind of workload and pressure to complete it, how could proper evaluations and settlements be delivered to the insured parties?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 AM

804 posts, read 580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And with that kind of workload and pressure to complete it, how could proper evaluations and settlements be delivered to the insured parties?
They probably couldn’t?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or