U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM

91 posts, read 232,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I can't work there with my line of work. Only NYC.

There are plenty of jobs. The issue is that other people generally "know someone" or are willing to take less $$.

I am highly skilled and require a lot more $$ than most people.
Since you say you've been out of work for 2 1/2 years, maybe it's time to lower your expectations, salary-wise? Maybe you don't really need the money and/or have other means of support, in which case, I guess you can afford to be picky, but keep in mind the longer that resume-gap(mine is 1 1/2 years and counting),
the more likely employers are gonna think your skills are "rusty", and that's not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM

91 posts, read 232,394 times
Ok, I just posted about this, early this morning on a forum I hang out on. I'm going to state my controversial *opinion* about this(if it's ok with the mods). In fact, I'm just gonna cut`n'paste my post from that other forum to save time, and for the purposes of efficiency. Please read the entire short post, and digest it for a minute before responding. This was my original response to the article when I posted it:

Quote:
Ohhhh, the OUTRAGE! In the mean time, we have Hispanic employers posting jobs on Craigslist in Spanish, and Asian homeowners posting rooms for rent for college students in Chinese characters or Japanese, and even a major pizza-chain looking to hire college students as delivery drivers. Folks, grow up - discrimination is 100% normal and natural - I actually appreciate *honest* listings, because it saves BOTH parties time and effort. I don't get all butt-hurt when I see ads that obviously discriminate against me.
Someone responded:

Quote:
Well, not only is it illegal, I hope you can see the HUUUUUGE difference between writing an ad in a language, and declaring which race you intend to hire. The civil rights acts was passed for a reason.
To which I responded:

Quote:
"HUUUUUGE difference"? How about NO difference? When you post a job ad in ONLY Spanish, or a rental ad in ONLY Mandarin, or a job ad that starts with "Attention College Students"(with no bonafide requirements that applicants must be college students), you've effectively accomplished your intended discrimination, right from the git-go.
Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:37 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
I believe it was the 1970s when the UK passed strong anti-discrimination laws, which led to ads such as this: "Brickworkers wanted. Must be capable of carrying 60 pound loads and be willing to strip to the waist in hot weather."

Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 AM

580 posts, read 177,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're right. The best candidate should always get the job. Discrimination should not be tolerated.
I imagine the primarily Asian applicants who are turned away from top tier colleges in favor of lower-qualified students of other racial minorities probably agree with you.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 AM

7,092 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
So wrong, but not quite what it seems.

The company has Indian-American owners and they employ 60% minorities. They claim they were trying to diversify their work pool.
TBH, if a company is determined to poke the AA gods in the eye with a stick you'd hope they would apply some subtlety. Delay it until a little farther along in the hiring process. Don't give anything away in the opening ad, lure 'em in, but push everyone through that racial sieve at the interview stage after meeting candidates in person. Then fall back on whatever weasel worded excuses they consider convenient to reject them.

Apologies...it's late. Sarcasm is now toggled off again...

Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 AM

941 posts, read 202,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I imagine the primarily Asian applicants who are turned away from top tier colleges in favor of lower-qualified students of other racial minorities probably agree with you.
This always makes liberals/progressives heads spin out of control.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,056,129 times
I'm a libertarian. I don't think the govt should be telling private concerns how to run their own affairs. Everyone has the right to be stupid, although, granted, some people abuse the privilege.

Minority opportunity programs are reverse discrimination. Nobody should use differences in "the bell shaped curve" to make decisions about individuals. (Eg- Should Hank Greenberg or Sandy Koufax not been hired because most Jews aren't good ballplayers?)

The process of hiring is an exercise in predicting the future based on a relatively small, short exposure to the data-- inherently wide error bar. Sometimes less pertinent factors must enter the decision process.

An illustrative anecdote:

Two execs were enjoying cocktails at the bar one evening after work. The one says, "I had to hire a new secretary this week...tough decision. I narrowed down to three candidates who all had excellent references, presented themselves well and had equally good skills. I decided to present each with a question of ethics, asking them, if hired, what would you do if you were the last one to leave one night and found a 20 dollar bill on the floor? The first one said she'd put it in her purse and ask around the next morning who had lost it....The second said she'd put it in her desk drawer and ask about it next morning.. The third said she'd put it in my desk drawer and enquire about it in the AM."..."All good answers. Tough choice," said the other exec. "How did you make your choice?"..."Oh, that was easy-- I took the one with the big knockers."

Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The federal government has all sorts of programs for special interest groups such as women, veterans, minorities, etc. A bonus is if one is a woman minority veteran! Basically a self writing check for government dollars.

I know this because my father specializes in finding them business and writing up contract proposals.

Programs that had good intentions are being severely abused at taxpayer expense.
Well, you forget the part where they have to be actually qualified to do the work. The M/W/DBE programs allow these companies to compete and establish a work record, but it's not a self-writing check for government dollars. They are competing with others like themselves.

If not for those programs, small firms owned by minorities and women (and vets now is a big thing) would never have a chance, and the big, long-established firms would get all the contracts.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Well, I see a lot of back and forth here about a company should do this, a company should do that, blah blah blah, and I'm guessing none of you posting these things actually owns your own company, do you? So while you're up there on your high horses thinking you know what's best for everyone, let me give you a different perspective on the subject.

This is America, and in my opinion, if you took all the risk and put up all the funds to start your own firm, you should be able to hire who you want, when you want, for any reason you want. That's not racism, that's not discrimination, that's called Freedom. A business owner, CEO, whomever, should have full freedom to hire who they deem will work best for the company, not for the general population.

It is in fact the company owners that are being discriminated against, by having to follow laws put in place by people who have no vested interest whatsoever in the success or failure of the company, and are forced to hire based on criteria that may or may not be in the best interest of the company's success.

You can disagree all you want, but until you have incorporated and run your own business for several years and gone through what most business owners go through (75% of which fail), you really don't have enough experience to formulate an opinion of any weight.

SS

Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I'm a libertarian. I don't think the govt should be telling private concerns how to run their own affairs. Everyone has the right to be stupid, although, granted, some people abuse the privilege.

Minority opportunity programs are reverse discrimination. Nobody should use differences in "the bell shaped curve" to make decisions about individuals. (Eg- Should Hank Greenberg or Sandy Koufax not been hired because most Jews aren't good ballplayers?)

The process of hiring is an exercise in predicting the future based on a relatively small, short exposure to the data-- inherently wide error bar. Sometimes less pertinent factors must enter the decision process.

An illustrative anecdote:

Two execs were enjoying cocktails at the bar one evening after work. The one says, "I had to hire a new secretary this week...tough decision. I narrowed down to three candidates who all had excellent references, presented themselves well and had equally good skills. I decided to present each with a question of ethics, asking them, if hired, what would you do if you were the last one to leave one night and found a 20 dollar bill on the floor? The first one said she'd put it in her purse and ask around the next morning who had lost it....The second said she'd put it in her desk drawer and ask about it next morning.. The third said she'd put it in my desk drawer and enquire about it in the AM."..."All good answers. Tough choice," said the other exec. "How did you make your choice?"..."Oh, that was easy-- I took the one with the big knockers."
And therein lies the problem. It's a logical fallacy to think we can end discrimination with another form of discrimination.

That isn't even the biggest problem of diversity programs. The biggest problem is they don't work..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment