U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,522,145 times

Advertisements

I used to deliver groceries to ethnic neighborhoods (east Indians and Hispanics) in Metro Seattle. I have been the only white guy within blocks, much less in the building. The stares, glares and rude bossy attitude I received as a vendor to their business was shocking. Not only would they never hire a white guy, they don't even want one to deliver their merchandise.

It's one side of the issue that doesn't get much light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM

5,433 posts, read 8,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, and Roseanne was trying to be funny with her Planet of the Apes comment.. It Doesn't matter. And, honestly, nor SHOULD it matter.. Posting a job with either Caucasian or minority preferred just doesn't fly. Best candidate gets the job, regardless of anything else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're right. The best candidate should always get the job. Discrimination should not be tolerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Wow. I hope that company goes under for racist hiring practices. You should always hire the best candidate regardless of race, religion, etc.
Totally agree w/ you all!

Why are people going b ack in time as if racism is going backwards in time when things were segregated & it was whites here, minorities over there. NO GOOD.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
A shame really.
I'm curious to understand your take, OP. Is it a shame that the company did this or a shame that they're being called out for doing it.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,933,771 times
I appreciate their honestly. I wouldn't waste my time. Sometimes, I look at company profiles, pictures and I sigh.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
Quote:
So wrong, but not quite what it seems.

The company has Indian-American owners and they employ 60% minorities. They claim they were trying to diversify their work pool.
In other words, they don't black, hispanic, south pacific islanders, or southeast asians, or mixed people apply. Whites only.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 PM

2,419 posts, read 690,595 times
Absolutely ridiculous. But hey, we'll see if the government takes any action.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 PM

44 posts, read 7,792 times
Quote:
So wrong, but not quite what it seems.

The company has Indian-American owners and they employ 60% minorities. They claim they were trying to diversify their work pool.
Um, I guess they failed to realize that most Indians (and thus Indian-Americans) ARE caucasian?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 PM

587 posts, read 179,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
Um, I guess they failed to realize that most Indians (and thus Indian-Americans) ARE caucasian?
Wow, I never knew that - really? I always thought the "shared culture" similarities was from India being ruled by Great Britain for so many years. Got to admit I've always given them a hat-tip for being the world's most populous Democracy. That would explain some similarities I've observed, I'll have to read up on the history of India and edumacate myself. I always found it funny that they are so close geographically to China, but their populations do not share many racial features with respect to skin color, facial features, etc.. Embarrassingly, my only knowledge of their (ancient) history was of them turning back Alexander the Great (at least Colin Farrell in the movie).

Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 PM

44 posts, read 7,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Wow, I never knew that - really? I always thought the "shared culture" similarities was from India being ruled by Great Britain for so many years. Got to admit I've always given them a hat-tip for being the world's most populous Democracy. That would explain some similarities I've observed, I'll have to read up on the history of India and edumacate myself. I always found it funny that they are so close geographically to China, but their populations do not share many racial features with respect to skin color, facial features, etc.. Embarrassingly, my only knowledge of their (ancient) history was of them turning back Alexander the Great (at least Colin Farrell in the movie).
India is primarily Caucasian (Caucasoid)... However as you touch the eastern shore, you will find large groups of Mongoloid and the most central southern india has a large concentration of Australoid.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 AM

281 posts, read 124,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, the really funny thing here is that most Indian population is Caucasian, in a strict sense. (So are Australian natives.)
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment