U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 AM

281 posts, read 123,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, I'm on the job hunt now so we'll see if I can beat this age discrimination thing. I'm using a recruiter by the way.
How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:38 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Hmmm.

A person with no managerial experience is extolling the virtues of having appropriate experience. Does anybody else see the hypocrisy here?
I'd always want a manager who has domain or product knowledge vs. one without it.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 AM

1,547 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Was it always like this? I remember starting out in my career and there were people of all age groups. Experience was respected and sought after, not something to disdain. Now you see a much better cross section along racial and gender lines in the workplace, but those over 40 are consistently being pushed out. It's especially difficult trying to find new employment. What's crazy is that a lot of the people making the hiring decisions are themselves over 40. Yet they still choose to opt for the younger, less experienced, and in most cases less trainable candidates. Those candidates either flame out or move on quickly, and the company is back out there looking to fill the position again. And once again they will go with the shiny object, rather than reliable knowledge and experience. This isn't because they don't want to pay more. The salary is the salary no matter who they hire in most cases. If you're younger and you're offended by my post, some of you should be offended and some shouldn't. You'll know which category you fall into.
We have plenty of people working in their 60s and hire them, provided they have the experience and skills needed. The problem is, many people don't keep up with current technology and have a bad attitude about just about anything that is new. That poor attitude comes across during the interviews all the time. I've talk to people 30 years old who already are rejecting a new platform without any experience on it. It is also major stupid to list on your resume technology that hasn't been in high demand for many years.

If you want to change jobs in 2019, you have to network to get yourself in front of a hiring manager and by-pass HR entirely, because HR at most places doesn't do their job and discourages good candidates.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Hmmm.

A person with no managerial experience is extolling the virtues of having appropriate experience. Does anybody else see the hypocrisy here?
That's because it is much easier to sit at the end of the bar and talk about how the game should be played instead of joining the team and showing us.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM

518 posts, read 624,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
If you want to change jobs in 2019, you have to network to get yourself in front of a hiring manager and by-pass HR entirely, because HR at most places doesn't do their job and discourages good candidates.

Amen to that!

Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd always want a manager who has domain or product knowledge vs. one without it.
A good manager, a good executive can manage a group or organization that makes turbines or tubas. It doesn't matter if they know all the details that the workers do. A supervisor knows how to understand the important facts to make major decisions. Because a good manager uses those direct reports as resources regardless of their own background. I know the workers like the idea that someone started bagging groceries or worked on the factory floor before they started working in the executive suite, but for the business those things aren't what is most important. Stock holders don't care about that, because it isn't a major factor in the business decisions being made. A hospital administrator doesn't need to have worked as a nurse in order to lead.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM

5,446 posts, read 4,086,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
A good manager, a good executive can manage a group or organization that makes turbines or tubas. It doesn't matter if they know all the details that the workers do. A supervisor knows how to understand the important facts to make major decisions. Because a good manager uses those direct reports as resources regardless of their own background. I know the workers like the idea that someone started bagging groceries or worked on the factory floor before they started working in the executive suite, but for the business those things aren't what is most important. Stock holders don't care about that, because it isn't a major factor in the business decisions being made. A hospital administrator doesn't need to have worked as a nurse in order to lead.
But they should have some knowledge of the field. Otherwise they won’t understand all the ramifications of their decisions.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM

5,446 posts, read 4,086,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Late career changes are a kettle of fish of a different color - perhaps no more reasonable as a basis for discrimination than any other, but with at least an understandable basis. OTOH, my mother changed careers in her late 40s and was very successful in both.

I think most discussion here is about career continuation, especially after a break or dislocation in employment after about 35. Finding continuing progress in a career is difficult enough; re-entering a career path after even brief interruptions is... sisyphean.
I was replying to the poster directly who said she had never seen any example of age discrimination at all on cd.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:04 AM

11,123 posts, read 8,531,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I was replying to the poster directly who said she had never seen any example of age discrimination at all on cd.
I've seen dozens of unsubstantiated claims of age discrimination. How do we verify these claims without comparing the resume to the job posting?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM

8,589 posts, read 3,019,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've seen dozens of unsubstantiated claims of age discrimination.
Nothing in this cheap saloon is substantiated.

It's discussion, not a courtroom. If a few dozen participants describe situations that quack just like age discrimination, the focus is not to try and disprove them all but to discuss what these observers are reporting. Your persistent one-sentence dismissals that there ain't no setch animal contribute... nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or