U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:52 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I'm not asking why do you have to keep working, I'm asking why do you have to even apply for jobs? Accomplished people in their profession after many years of experience get new jobs through industry relationships, not job websites.

Therefore, I'm asking why can't you leverage years of experience and relationships into a positive outcome?
Well, tnff has made some good points you're just brushing aside. But I've learned that people in certain industries that can never harvest enough warm bodies have a peculiar view of the rest of the world. "Sheeyit, I cain't walk down San Carlos Street widdout six companies tryin' a bag me!"

But to answer your question, I've had two major relocations since 2011, the first of which was a step into early quasi-retirement and the second of which was about as voluntary as getting hit by a truck. Relationships in my industry don't tend to persist across the decades, relationships for a self-employed provider who leaves an area don't tend to maintain and relationships in a new area without a single solid industry connection tend to be hard to come by.

I don't think I have unreasonable expectations, such as my days when three or four applications got me two or more interviews and often competing offers. I just think that in exploiting the one strong avenue I have to finding a new - modest level - solidly qualified position, 400 or so resumes should have generated something by now.

My resume does not clearly state that my last ten years of employment is largely self. My resume does not emphasize my true age - I've left off fifteen years of prior experience. My resume simply does not present many immediate negatives making it worth passing over. What an interview might develop is something almost wholly speculative. The only big, clear downcheck on my applications and resume is that I am quite obviously well north of 30 or so... and I've received subtle feedback from my few interviews and contacts with recruiters that It's A Problem.

The primary recruiting agency in the Denver area focused on my field more or less flat out told me they don't and won't having anything suitable for me, so I don't even bother applying to their listings any more. Like others, they jump to the conclusion that I will be happy only with a career-par (management) (corner-office) (major role) position, even though I make it clear I want and will accept a solid "worker bee" slot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:14 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, tnff has made some good points you're just brushing aside. But I've learned that people in certain industries that can never harvest enough warm bodies have a peculiar view of the rest of the world. "Sheeyit, I cain't walk down San Carlos Street widdout six companies tryin' a bag me!"

But to answer your question, I've had two major relocations since 2011, the first of which was a step into early quasi-retirement and the second of which was about as voluntary as getting hit by a truck. Relationships in my industry don't tend to persist across the decades, relationships for a self-employed provider who leaves an area don't tend to maintain and relationships in a new area without a single solid industry connection tend to be hard to come by.

I don't think I have unreasonable expectations, such as my days when three or four applications got me two or more interviews and often competing offers. I just think that in exploiting the one strong avenue I have to finding a new - modest level - solidly qualified position, 400 or so resumes should have generated something by now.

My resume does not clearly state that my last ten years of employment is largely self. My resume does not emphasize my true age - I've left off fifteen years of prior experience. My resume simply does not present many immediate negatives making it worth passing over. What an interview might develop is something almost wholly speculative. The only big, clear downcheck on my applications and resume is that I am quite obviously well north of 30 or so... and I've received subtle feedback from my few interviews and contacts with recruiters that It's A Problem.

The primary recruiting agency in the Denver area focused on my field more or less flat out told me they don't and won't having anything suitable for me, so I don't even bother applying to their listings any more. Like others, they jump to the conclusion that I will be happy only with a career-par (management) (corner-office) (major role) position, even though I make it clear I want and will accept a solid "worker bee" slot.
You've got nobody to blame then but yourself for being nothing more than a mere lottery candidate. Because, that's exactly what you are when you enter "send 400 resumes" phase you're in. If you've expected anything else based on the situation you're in, then that's on you.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You've got nobody to blame then but yourself for being nothing more than a mere lottery candidate. Because, that's exactly what you are when you enter "send 400 resumes" phase you're in. If you've expected anything else based on the situation you're in, then that's on you.
Gosh, thanks. Don't you need to get back to hiring tech-worker ants now?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Gosh, thanks. Don't you need to get back to hiring tech-worker ants now?
Yeah, it must be the age that's preventing you from getting hired rather than the passive-aggressive pithy commentary?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it must be the age that's preventing you from getting hired rather than the passive-aggressive pithy commentary?
Yes, I understand you're an expert and do all your hiring via social media. I'm sure it's very nice to have hundreds of applications to heuristicize every day for worker-ant slots in the Farm.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand you're an expert and do all your hiring via social media. I'm sure it's very nice to have hundreds of applications to heuristicize every day for worker-ant slots in the Farm.
I don't use social media, or work/hire in tech.

But, how about we make a gentlemen's agreement and bypass each other? I'm getting bored.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,416,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
... It also helps that I do some minor and inexpensive personal maintenance to keep myself looking youthful, vibrant and fresh (I'm still called a 'young lady' and I'm 52 - I get a tint in my hair to cover gray hairs, and a monthly facial).

Not looking old and proving I can do the job has helped me immensely.
This is so true -- do not be afraid to give yourself a little help. Whether it's professional hair coloring, modest botox, trendier clothes (this is really obvious in my industry -- tech -- t-shirt with blazer and designer sneakers rather than dress shirt and khakis and lace-ups)

You don't need to try to look 25 (no skinny jeggings please), just taking off 10 years accomplishes the goal.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:07 PM

4,553 posts, read 6,637,541 times
I guess I have been lucky and have not run into that. Many of the people I work with are older than me and I am 52. If our company wins the next contract it will take me to retirement.

I work for a gov contractor.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 PM

2,030 posts, read 857,321 times
I think it depends on two things. First is why are you unemployed. Second is what jobs are you looking to fill ... whether there is a shortage of jobs or of qualified applicants for the positions being applied for.

I can only go by my own experience. When I retired at 59 I got bored at home and decided to go back to work a year later at 60. I had 15 years experience as a unix sys admin and oracle dba. I told my wife I probably would have to work the overnight shift and weekends if I wanted to work as this shift is the least desirable. I started applying on monster.com and got an immediate phone interview for a 6 month contracting job, followed by an online skill test and an in person interview by the group supervisor. I was working for a contractig company who was a sub contractor to Kelley Services, who was a contracter to the employer. I was hired for the 7PM to 7AM shift on a rotating 3 day/4 day week, working for a major pharma company in their data center. Contractors had no rights or benefits and could be (and were) fired at will for no reason. I experienced no age discrimination at all, and had a great 6 months, but I had a marketable and hard to find skill and was a very good worker. When that contract expired I got a contract to work at home, 45 hrs per week for 18 months as a contractor for my previous employer. At 62 I retired for good. Working from home probably spoiled me for any other jobs.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM

It has been well and thoroughly established that tech, especially IT/CS tech, is in a class of its own in this regard and that the fields are regularly harvested for warm bodies to fill the endless need.

The rest of us who are not in tech fields thank and excuse you from further discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or