Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,007,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally companies used to be managed properly and they valued their experienced veterans so they didn’t have to worry about getting laid off once they got “expensive and old” and kicked out to the street corner like next weeks trash only so a few months later they’ll bring in a know nothing 20 year old who will work for a fraction of the price

Companies used to realize that experience/talent/work ethic don’t exactly grow on trees. Now they just don’t care. It’s all about this financial quarters numbers. I’m covinced most companies don’t even look beyond the current financial quarter

What they don’t understand (or choose to ignore) you’re wrecking yourself long term for a quick short term gain
Do you just cut and paste the same rant into every thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 04:52 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,053,295 times
Age discrimination in the job search is a REAL and devastating thing. I found a fascinating article the other day on this topic, and the comments there, about 200, were eye opening. I'll try to find it again and share it here.

What has helped me in my recent new job was not only being a temp in one department for 15 months and proving myself capable, but I blended in seamlessly with this nice and diverse group of people, and they liked me. It also helps that I do some minor and inexpensive personal maintenance to keep myself looking youthful, vibrant and fresh (I'm still called a 'young lady' and I'm 52 - I get a tint in my hair to cover gray hairs, and a monthly facial).

Not looking old and proving I can do the job has helped me immensely.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM

4,906 posts, read 2,677,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally companies used to be managed properly and they valued their experienced veterans so they didn’t have to worry about getting laid off once they got “expensive and old” and kicked out to the street corner like next weeks trash only so a few months later they’ll bring in a know nothing 20 year old who will work for a fraction of the price

Companies used to realize that experience/talent/work ethic don’t exactly grow on trees. Now they just don’t care. It’s all about this financial quarters numbers. I’m covinced most companies don’t even look beyond the current financial quarter

What they don’t understand (or choose to ignore) you’re wrecking yourself long term for a quick short term gain
Agree. It is all about saving on labor costs to the extreme, foregoing maturity, experience, and expertise. Cheaper is better, competence is less important. In most companies there are salary scales with minimum and maximum salaries that they will pay for each position so it is rare that they would pay exactly the same salary for every single applicant. Younger applicants usually mean cheaper salaries. The short term is far more important than the long term health of a company.

Also, there is a severe glut of available, qualified applicants in most industries. They are a dime a dozen and employers can be very selective. Welcome to the new normal. Times have changed.

Be aware that there are people that "patrol" these threads and constantly promote the corporate viewpoint. The employer is always right, and the employee always wrong. No exceptions. It is always the employee's fault because they are lazy, stupid, or doing something wrong. The employer remains a pure and shining beacon to enlighten the masses, while the dirty and grimy employees better know their place. "Complaining" is not tolerated and is a good way to suppress dissent by pointing out "complainers". Whether these types of posters get paid for doing this is anyone's guess, but they are sure doing the corporate interests a big favor in trying to keep these threads "clean" and making sure that people are thinking and posting "what they should be".

So please post responsibly. No complaining, no negativism, only employers are right and never employees. If you can adhere by these simple rules, I think that we will all get along.

Fine print: This post is by no means or should in any way be construed as a complaint or a post of any type of dissatisfaction.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:00 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,858,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Was it always like this? I remember starting out in my career and there were people of all age groups. Experience was respected and sought after, not something to disdain. Now you see a much better cross section along racial and gender lines in the workplace, but those over 40 are consistently being pushed out. It's especially difficult trying to find new employment. What's crazy is that a lot of the people making the hiring decisions are themselves over 40. Yet they still choose to opt for the younger, less experienced, and in most cases less trainable candidates. Those candidates either flame out or move on quickly, and the company is back out there looking to fill the position again. And once again they will go with the shiny object, rather than reliable knowledge and experience. This isn't because they don't want to pay more. The salary is the salary no matter who they hire in most cases. If you're younger and you're offended by my post, some of you should be offended and some shouldn't. You'll know which category you fall into.
As a tradesman, I've seen a bit of this, but probably not as much as white collar jobs. As we get older, we spend more time training the new kids than doing the manual work ourselves. Our industry still looks at experience over degrees/certificates, and a technician with 30 years experience still has a lot to offer a company with an eye on training the next generation. In my shop, we have several guys who are well over 60 and still working.

I'm in my early 40's with 20 years experience; I'm just getting into that transitional period where I have a lot to teach apprentices but I'm still able to do the heavy work.

That's not say that finding a new job at 50 in the trades is a piece a cake, though.

Last edited by JB from NC; 04-30-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,061,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The discussions here, alone, show that there's a high proportion of older applicants who can't get a phone interview; that's not my only data nor is it that of many of the more knowledgeable posters.

Sure, I guess you could be 55 and have a worthless work history. But as someone whose full c.v. runs to five or six pages, includes national book award nominations, experience from production work through running (very successful) 100-person companies and has a portfolio of work in a wide range that reflects my extensive skill set...

...and can't get a callback even with a very stripped and polished resume intended to hide my age...

...I am a little irritated at your persistence with this argument.
Shouldn't someone as accomplished and successful as you claim to (have been) be not have to worry about the rat race anymore at the age of 55?

What's the point in complaining about something you can't do a damn thing about?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 PM

10,992 posts, read 7,073,183 times
Regardless of the junk that comes with ageism - and I've had my share - it will never lessen how proud I am to have lived when I have, know what I know, and be the age I am. No one can take that away. Young people with agendas can take that and shove it where the sun doesn't shine! LOL

Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,061,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Regardless of the junk that comes with ageism - and I've had my share - it will never lessen how proud I am to have lived when I have, know what I know, and be the age I am. No one can take that away. Young people with agendas can take that and shove it! LOL
What agenda? I promise you there are as many young people (if not more) complaining they can't get a decent job because they lack experience, as there are 40+ people who scream ageism every chance they get.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 PM

10,992 posts, read 7,073,183 times
^ Well, maybe where you live. But where I am currently, young people rule the town and the lame companies. It's entirely the culture here. And yes, I've gotten inside details that have confirmed the deliberate elevation of the younger employees, and stonewalling of the older few (token) employees. This isn't a guess or an assumption, but a definite pattern that's happened across several companies, and has also been seen with friends of mine elsewhere.

No one around here gives a rats hiney about experience. It's all about fitting a local image of the default standard young demographic.

I'll admit; I picked the wrong area.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-30-2019 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,329,561 times
OP is 100% right.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,273,726 times
Some employers like to hire older workers unfortunately they are high stress jobs and lots of people drop dead in them most people don’t want to do that
I did and I’m glad but was not glad when I did it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment