Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times

Advertisements

That’s why the best managers (at least from my experience) are the ones who worked their way up and actually learned the aspects of the operations and did some of the jobs themselves. I wouldn’t be able to manage the space shuttle program at NASA. I was lucky to make it through basic science and college algebra in school. So I have no ability in that realm to know the first thing about running a type of operation. But now you have companies bringing in these third party outsider to run an Industry they have ZERO knowledge and experience. Instead of investing in the workforce and moving them up the chain and help grow their career, they kick them to curb once they get middle age and expensive. Instead of having them oversee operations they understand. Then everyone shakes their head as to why operations are going to pot, customers continue to leave and the company loses money. Because you have third party outsiders coming in who have managed in an entirely different industry and they think the knowledge and experience applies to all industries.

You would think COMMON SENSE would prevail but most humans I found have no common sense today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
That’s why the best managers (at least from my experience) are the ones who worked their way up and actually learned the aspects of the operations and did some of the jobs themselves. I wouldn’t be able to manage the space shuttle program at NASA. I was lucky to make it through basic science and college algebra in school. So I have no ability in that realm to know the first thing about running a type of operation. But now you have companies bringing in these third party outsider to run an Industry they have ZERO knowledge and experience. Instead of investing in the workforce and moving them up the chain and help grow their career, they kick them to curb once they get middle age and expensive. Instead of having them oversee operations they understand. Then everyone shakes their head as to why operations are going to pot, customers continue to leave and the company loses money. Because you have third party outsiders coming in who have managed in an entirely different industry and they think the knowledge and experience applies to all industries.

You would think COMMON SENSE would prevail but most humans I found have no common sense today
Hmmm.

A person with no managerial experience is extolling the virtues of having appropriate experience. Does anybody else see the hypocrisy here?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Before anyone claims age discrimination, I'd like to see their resume first. Just because one has worked for a certain number of years doesn't mean they've built a marketable career.

You always see the working world through rose colored glasses. Why is that always the case?
Age discrimination is real. One of the reasons for age discrimination is that one failed to rise up through the ranks. Management knows that by the time a person gets to a certain age they don't buy the BS that compels them to work two or three hours a day past quitting time.

Did you ever think that some people just enjoy what they do and choose not to go over to the dark side?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:52 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:
Before anyone claims age discrimination, I'd like to see their resume first. Just because one has worked for a certain number of years doesn't mean they've built a marketable career.
Discrimination...real or not?

You've just contradicted yourself. In the above thread you claim there is discrimination against people for people based on their race, LGBT status, color, or sex. You do so on a knee-jerk-automatically-believe-the-claimant basis. You are not demanding to see their resume or wanting to determine if they've built a marketable career. You automatically believe their claims.

But when it comes to age discrimination, you want proof. You won't automatically believe the claimant.

Double standard = corruption.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
It is very real. It is such a problem that, despite being a conservative, I would support a basic income for those aged 50-64. They are in a black hole where most employers want nothing to do with them yet they are too young to collect Social Security.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
How is it empty? While all forms of discrimination exist, I've yet to see (on CD ) a super strong candidate who had trouble finding employment because of age only. We are subjected to unsubstantiated anecdotal claims. Can we really parse out that the claimant truly was the best candidate?

Also, how is age being determined from a resume with unnecessary dates removed?
I know of a case, but it made logical sense. A person I knew had an engineering degree but became a firefighter. She got hurt on the job. Years later she got a masters as an rn. In her early 50s no one would hire her. She went to some of the least desirable hospitals for the worse shifts and couldn’t get hired.
She told me her age was the problem. Whoever hired her would be utilizing current rns to train and watch over her. From the hospital point of view they didn’t want to invest that time into someone who might retire in 10 years. They felt it was a better investment to hire a person with the same degree at age 25 who they could get 30 to 40 years out of.
I followed this because I had thought of going back to school to be an rn but I too would have had the same age problems. Glad I didn’t waste years only to find I wouldn’t have a job.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Late career changes are a kettle of fish of a different color - perhaps no more reasonable as a basis for discrimination than any other, but with at least an understandable basis. OTOH, my mother changed careers in her late 40s and was very successful in both.

I think most discussion here is about career continuation, especially after a break or dislocation in employment after about 35. Finding continuing progress in a career is difficult enough; re-entering a career path after even brief interruptions is... sisyphean.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,319,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
She's of a certain age and has never had her career limited by that age, therefore age discrimination doesn't exist. No amount of argument or evidence is ever going to change that opinion, no matter how far she has to reach for the flimsiest straw arguments. This has been established across several threads.
Agreed.

Maybe she has relative or connection with the high-ups. Or she has a charm and knows how to sweet talk with them, and she's protected by them. I know one like that. And she always thinks she's so good. If not, wait until that unlucky day happens, and she gets forced out of work when she gets older, and she will feel how it's like. At that time, she may understand how other unfortunate older people feel like, and won't be so arrogant or proud of herself so much anymore. Believe me, every dog has its day - good and bad.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Discrimination...real or not?

You've just contradicted yourself. In the above thread you claim there is discrimination against people for people based on their race, LGBT status, color, or sex. You do so on a knee-jerk-automatically-believe-the-claimant basis. You are not demanding to see their resume or wanting to determine if they've built a marketable career. You automatically believe their claims.

But when it comes to age discrimination, you want proof. You won't automatically believe the claimant.

Double standard = corruption.
No double standard. I was making a point. If a woman or person of color speaks about potential discrimination, perhaps believe them.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:34 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Well, I'm on the job hunt now so we'll see if I can beat this age discrimination thing. I'm using a recruiter by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment