U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM

11,120 posts, read 8,527,266 times

Advertisements

I've been on CD for a few years now. I've noted a strange phenomenon.

If a Black or Latino person comes on and speaks about racial discrimination, they get talked down, and folks tell them that racial discrimination doesn't exist. Same for LGBT people.

I've been in threads about discrimination against women and folks refuse to believe the women. They tell us we don't know how to negotiate for better money, we aren't as committed, we are biologically programmed for lower paying jobs, blah, blah. So, according to many on CD, sexism doesn't exist.

However, if a 30 year old comes on here and explains that they haven't gotten every single job they've applied for, then folks start to scream about age discrimination.

Could it be that if one type of discrimination doesn't apply to you, then you refuse to believe that that form of discrimination exists? Folks also don't take the time to develop any empathy for those that may fall victims to such forms of discrimination.

The rub is that EVERYONE gets older and perhaps that makes folks much more sensitive to those stories.

So, a simple question. Does discrimination exist or not? Either all of it exists or none of it exists. We can't pick or choose to only believe the type of discrimination that applies to our personal circumstances.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 PM

1,755 posts, read 1,013,777 times
Of course discrimination exist, both legal and and not. I do think a high bar exists in proving illegal discrimination and most of what is posted doesn't meet that bar.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
People discriminate on all sorts of criteria, and oftentimes we don't even knowingly do it. I can discriminate against people wearing tube socks, and that's not illegal or anything that HR would likely get involved in.

Unless a place explicitly says they won't hire black people, it can be hard to prove racial discrimination if ten black candidates were rejected when ten white ones were hired.

It's the "you can't discriminate on the basis of a protected status, but you can discriminate for any other reason" that makes this kind of thing pervasive.

As a society, I don't think we've yet found an appropriate balance to those questions.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
Of course discrimination happens. Race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion are the ones in the news the most but people discriminate against all sorts of things. If you have a coworker who's 5'6" 300 lbs do you really think you won't have some preconceived notions about them? Will you be as likely to ask them if the want to go to happy hour after work as you would another coworker who looks like they're in shape and well groomed? How about a woman who dresses in suit pants versus one who wears a short skirt? I think the more people can relate to someone claiming discrimination, even if they haven't experienced it themselves, the easier it is to empathize and believe them. Say if you're on trial for a crime that you believe was self defense. Would you rather have all members of the jury be of the same race as you, or another race? Even if it isn't a race related crime, you'd probably think jurors of your own race could relate to your more. Same concept when some believe discrimination doesn't exist for groups they aren't a part of. They can't relate

Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 PM

8,585 posts, read 3,010,942 times
I've never seen any pattern of denial that race or gender bias doesn't exist. Not in any of the forums dedicated to a real topic, at least. Maybe you need to stay out of great debates and politics.

I also haven't seen any 30 year olds complaining about age discrimination.

This is probably the stupidest OP I've seen in a long time.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never seen any pattern of denial that race or gender bias doesn't exist. Not in any of the forums dedicated to a real topic, at least. Maybe you need to stay out of great debates and politics.

I also haven't seen any 30 year olds complaining about age discrimination.

This is probably the stupidest OP I've seen in a long time.
Several years ago, before I was 30, I was interviewed by a tech company in Charleston, SC, who asked me how I would feel being the oldest person on the team and being managed by people younger than myself.

I was on the phone, and told them it wasn't going to be a fit.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:41 AM

7,086 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Could it be that if one type of discrimination doesn't apply to you, then you refuse to believe that that form of discrimination exists? Folks also don't take the time to develop any empathy for those that may fall victims to such forms of discrimination.

The rub is that EVERYONE gets older and perhaps that makes folks much more sensitive to those stories.

So, a simple question. Does discrimination exist or not? Either all of it exists or none of it exists. We can't pick or choose to only believe the type of discrimination that applies to our personal circumstances.

Thoughts?
It exists, but IMHO it can be fluid. Except of course for those who manage to be hired. Doesn't seem to crop up in the picture for them. Two applicants for the same job can see it totally differently. My longest term closest friend and I are the same age and pursued the same profession. He's a WM. At the time we were both trying to land our first jobs out of school, the positions were traditionally held by WMs. Agencies were being pushed into diversifying so, I had an advantage over him at least for a while. We both applied for the same few term positions. I was getting hired for them more often than he was. Discrimination wouldn't occur to me as the reason I might or might not be hired, but it certainly would to him. Of course, years later we would probably be pretty equally discriminated against...both too OLD!

Almost anyone can decide they have been discriminated against when they don't land the job they want. If one discrimination "label" doesn't seem to apply another one might. I think what people get cynical about is it being the go-to knee-jerk reason some applicant isn't chosen. Also I suspect that because there are laws prohibiting it, unsuccessful job applicants sense they have some recourse; some retaliatory action they can take against the employer (whether it was the reason they weren't hired or not). Once you play the discrimination card you don't have to explain any further. Employer bad, applicant good.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2019 at 03:32 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Of course discrimination exist, both legal and and not. I do think a high bar exists in proving illegal discrimination and most of what is posted doesn't meet that bar.
Yep.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 AM

1,885 posts, read 801,717 times
Actually sexism and racial discrimination does exist, but you're making the assumption that it doesn't exist for EVERYONE, including white men. Ever hear of affirmative action?? That is racism against caucasions and asians. I'm on a project now where we are required to have a certain percentage of blacks working regardless of ability. How many qualified people of other races were turned down because of this? That is racism right there.

And you really think blacks don't discriminate against other races??? Blacks even discriminate against darker skin blacks in their own communities.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 AM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
I've been on CD for a few years now. I've noted a strange phenomenon.
Quote:

If a Black or Latino person comes on and speaks about racial discrimination, they get talked down, and folks tell them that racial discrimination doesn't exist. Same for LGBT people.

I've been in threads about discrimination against women and folks refuse to believe the women. They tell us we don't know how to negotiate for better money, we aren't as committed, we are biologically programmed for lower paying jobs, blah, blah. So, according to many on CD, sexism doesn't exist.

Quote:
However, if a 30 year old comes on here and explains that they haven't gotten every single job they've applied for, then folks start to scream about age discrimination.

Hmm...I've also been on CD for years now, and I do not remember any threads showing any of the situations you cite. Please post links to any threads that show this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or