U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 AM

20,581 posts, read 16,645,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My boss is totally treating me like an idiot, which I'm not. She found a lot of mistakes that I made and pretty much told me that I was doing the most simple task and that if I couldn't get it right, then it isn't going to work.

Her training was choppy at best and now she is finding mistakes. Today she finally sat with me and went through everything, but her tone is so condescending. Short of cussing her out, I just laugh at her snide remarks. How do I deal with this professionally without ruffling any feathers. It seriously has me stressed out. But at the same time, logically I know, I shouldn't let this heifer stress me.
Was she right, are you making mistakes? Why be snide or cuss her out if what she says is legit? If it were me I’d have said something along the lines of “I apologize for these, I thought I was doing them correctly. Is it possible I could get more training in such and such area?”.

I feel like you are too defensive right now to be able to learn and improve the situation. Your head space has to be the first thing to change, if you want to succeed at the job. Think about the cause of the mistakes and how you and your boss can work to correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM

959 posts, read 362,646 times
I agree with some of what you said. I was truly doing my best and I was just mad because I was failing at the task I was given. I let my nerves get the best of me and I did apologize. I think I just put too much pressure on myself and I am ready to start fresh fresh this week. I wouldn't have cussed her out.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 AM

20,581 posts, read 16,645,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I agree with some of what you said. I was truly doing my best and I was just mad because I was failing at the task I was given. I let my nerves get the best of me and I did apologize. I think I just put too much pressure on myself and I am ready to start fresh fresh this week. I wouldn't have cussed her out.
When I left from nursing home rehab to become an OT in a school system, I was i very high over my head, in a position where I was supposed to advise special ed teacher who had decades more experience than I did working with kids with autism and other disabilities. I laid awake at night worrying what I was going to do in these classrooms the next day. I had to accept it’s okay to be new and have to learn, and okay to ask for help.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 618,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I volunteer and I took over a position and barely got trained. I figured the position out myself. Quite frankly, I think it's great. I get to create routines and methods to get things done in a way that makes sense to me. I get to do whatever I want and that's how I like it. I know it's volunteer, but it's sort of the same as a real job, only without the pay.
Yes. I did the same but the job was for pay, not for volunteers. Took weeks of me taking notes, figuring out who to ask for help and who to never ask. Then after I started to get the hang of things without getting fired first, I began to implement little changes in my duties that benefitted every aspect of group performance. I got recognized for the benefits and the methods are still used now (with some tweaking by the new people ) My point to OP: if you care about the job you don't have to give up. Very often there's the option to take control of what you can and make a positive contribution with it.

Last edited by LiaLia; 05-14-2019 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 06:34 PM

959 posts, read 362,646 times
Thanks Lia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or