U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 1,344,614 times

Advertisements

"Name some more..."
1. anyone working with the public inside a bank.
2. motorsports in the USA. NASCAR, Indycar, etc.
3. opticians. online ordering is so much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
In the end, everything will be outsourced or contracted through a temp agency at low cost and no bennies
I sure wish the DMV would fire all its employees and outsource the work. Customer service and customer satisfaction would improve and taxpayers wouldn’t be stuck with expensive incompetent public sector employees who can’t be fired.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM

354 posts, read 689,567 times
Garbage Men - there used to be 2 or 3 men manning the truck. The driver and those that dump the garbage into the trucks. Where I live there is only one guy. Everyone has the same type of garbage bin so the truck has mechanized arms that grabs the bin, dumps it, and puts it back. The driver never leaves the truck

Jobs that are going up - Food delivery services like DoorDash. A few year ago who would've thought you can go online at get your BigMac and fries delivered to you!

Old 05-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Name some more..."
1. anyone working with the public inside a bank..
I remember when banks were open 8 to 5, now a lot close at 2 pm. and there are few people working inside them.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:30 PM

5,727 posts, read 2,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
They persist for corporate and government work, and often charge retainers or fees for doing so.

But yes, the corner agent who will book your trip for you and make a living from commissions is long gone already. I had a friend who was in the industry when the commissions disappeared. It was brutal.
My ex is experiencing this. She currently does travel arrangements for business exclusively and she's having a tough time of it.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Name some more..."
1. anyone working with the public inside a bank.
2. motorsports in the USA. NASCAR, Indycar, etc.
3. opticians. online ordering is so much cheaper.
Ok. Explain the NASCAR thing.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM

8,573 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I remember when banks were open 8 to 5, now a lot close at 2 pm. and there are few people working inside them.
Er, banks were 9 to 3, 9 to 5 or 6 on Friday, Mon-Fri, for decades.

Long hours started about the time they were allowed to cross state lines, maybe mid-1980s?

Not surprised you're seeing a shrinkage again, though.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My ex is experiencing this. She currently does travel arrangements for business exclusively and she's having a tough time of it.
As an admin assistant, I made travel arrangements for people just by using the internet and making phone calls. Fifteen years earlier the company had a travel agency they used, then stopped using them. Many business people make their own travel arrangements.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM

8,573 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
As an admin assistant, I made travel arrangements for people just by using the internet and making phone calls. Fifteen years earlier the company had a travel agency they used, then stopped using them. Many business people make their own travel arrangements.
It's certainly one of those services that can use a manager - yes, you can use the internet but in booking quite a few trips from solo to family in recent years, it can be a long, tedious process to pull all the pieces together. Few people - short of those corporationpeople - want to pay extra for the service, though, and the margins in the industry chopped out commissions long ago.

One of the few cases where the loss of a savvy person to do it for you is really a loss.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 1,344,614 times
NASCAR thing explanation:
quote:
It has been losing TV viewers. It is having trouble filling the stands, even after losing tens of thousands of seats from its stadiums.
Perhaps most worrisome of all, it is losing sponsors, and those that remain are paying less than they used to. NASCAR declined a request for comment.
link:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/nasc...rmula-one.html

and the "killer app":
median age of fans is 58.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...viewers-by-age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment