U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,424,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I remember them being open 9-3:00

Nowadays my local bank is open until 6. But they no longer give away steak knives.
The Canadian bank TD BANK (Toronto Dominion Bank), which also has branch locations across much of the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. per this point in time, is open 7 days per week and has typically late hours (for instance, on some days, there are branches open until 6 pm or 7 pm or 8 pm). For instance, one very near to me is open until 8 pm on Thursdays and Fridays and otherwise until 6 pm on other days.

I moved my safe deposit box to that location from another bank I have varied accounts with, as it is open 7 days per week and has typically late hours of operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 04:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I remember when banks were open 8 to 5, now a lot close at 2 pm. and there are few people working inside them.
That has to be the most boring job on the planet.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:43 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,316,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I sure wish the DMV would fire all its employees and outsource the work. Customer service and customer satisfaction would improve and taxpayers wouldn’t be stuck with expensive incompetent public sector employees who can’t be fired.

Dream on. This has already been done in Ohio, the license agencies are privatized and are not government employees. We still have long lines and poor service. Every one I have ever spoke with who moves in from another state has complained about the process to get plates and license transferred.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 592,518 times
I'm sure glad that Lamplighters and "Knocker-Uppers" are still around.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM

1,618 posts, read 565,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'm sure glad that Lamplighters and "Knocker-Uppers" are still around.
Are the Walmart “greeters” gone yet? I never liked their intrusion, but do realize that they gave opportunity to elderly and challenged folk- more power to them.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 PM

2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
DO NOT PANIC.

The usual suspects will say nothing bad is happening.

They'll just say you can get another job by going back to school, increasing your skillset, and trying to find new jobs......then you get rejected for not having experience.

Welcome to Mcjobville.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 AM

354 posts, read 689,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Garbage Men - there used to be 2 or 3 men manning the truck. The driver and those that dump the garbage into the trucks. Where I live there is only one guy. Everyone has the same type of garbage bin so the truck has mechanized arms that grabs the bin, dumps it, and puts it back. The driver never leaves the truck

Jobs that are going up - Food delivery services like DoorDash. A few year ago who would've thought you can go online at get your BigMac and fries delivered to you!
Also I would not be surprised if jobs that handles a lot of paperwork are going way down

I had jobs as an Accounts Payable Clerk while going to college at night. Those jobs didn’t need a degree and I processed a lot of paperwork manually. I used a computer to input the data and manually print the checks but it was a terminal screen loaded with the company’s own software. Today everything is computerized so I doubt you need as many people. A real shame because eventhough those were low paying and deadend jobs, I was still able to support myself and get my own place

Old 05-05-2019, 12:28 PM

30,013 posts, read 16,597,455 times
Many white collar jobs are being outsourced as well. We just laid off an entire department because we are now going to pay an outside firm to do the work. No salaries to worry about; health insurance, retirement plans, etc.

Not only that - but bits and pieces of white collar work is being outsourced with the end result being . . . we need less workers.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:11 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,190,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pennies? try tens of thousands each employee. 7.25/hr * 100 hours open a week * 11 (10% employer taxes) * 52 weeks = $41,470 per employee not there. So if they charge say $5 an hour to park, every attendant eliminated equals 8,294 cars parked for an hour.
That has to be balanced against the cost of installing and maintaining automated systems, reliability, etc. parking lots in Europe automated first, since labor costs are higher. An author once noted (years ago) that Parking lots in Europe are more automated for that reason. Now the cost of automation has come down so it is economical in the US.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 PM

18,873 posts, read 7,336,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That has to be balanced against the cost of installing and maintaining automated systems, reliability, etc. parking lots in Europe automated first, since labor costs are higher. An author once noted (years ago) that Parking lots in Europe are more automated for that reason. Now the cost of automation has come down so it is economical in the US.

Buying automation is a one time deal; employees are paid every week.

Maintaining automation is not expensive, plus the supplier warranties the stuff several years, maintaining them, at their expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment