Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:11 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I remember word-for-Word when this happened. It had been about 1 month since they brought in said-co worker for an interview. And then after 1 month, they decided they wanted her. My boss brought me into the meeting with the coo of the company, and they both said ‘we originally were only going to offer her 50k, but because we took so long to get back to her, let’s just give her 60k because we don’t want to look bad’. And then 5 minutes later, my boss got on the phone with said co-worker and offered her the position and the 60k salary

Why would they bring you into that meeting, a recruiter who has nothing to do with HR functions?? I'm sorry, this sounds very fishy to me that a company would discuss a salary for a new hire with someone who apparently does the same function and gets less. I also don't buy they casually tossed in an extra $10,000 just because they didn't want to look bad. Look bad to whom?? You're leaving out something, misrepresenting something, IMO. Maybe they were afraid they were losing her, or she was no longer interested in the job because they took too long, THAT would make sense to offer more to get her back, but that's not what you're stating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:01 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Hi all - I have posted on here before and have typically gotten good advice.

I am a recruiter for a government contracting company (we aren't a recruiting firm, I am an internal recruiter). I typically recruit for cleared and uncleared positions. Doing cleared positions is typically more difficult as people with high clearances are usually super picky with who they respond to (as they should be).

Recently I have been focusing on more internal, uncleared positions. I have not been on the phone much recently as there have not been any candidates to talk to on the phone (but I have some calls coming up). But I have been pretty busy reaching out to candidates, job postings, going through our ATS, etc.

My boss just told me that, since our company is all about 'perception', since I have not been on the phone much, it looks like I haven't been very busy to some people. He (my boss) knows that I am busy, but just because I am not on the phone, there is the perception that I am 'doing nothing' all day.

I don't even know what I am supposed to do anymore. Am I supposed to just call up random people and talk/Mod cut: language. with them, so it just appears that I am busy??

Can someone who has been in this position help me out please cause I'm just lost here
The reason why you cannot place anyone in jobs, is because you don't understand what kind of competence is needed in those jobs, because you have never worked in any of those fields. You as an HR person will never be able to do hiring or reaching out correctly. HR is a fraudulent field, it could never possibly work. You should find a real job where you can be productive. Your company is expecting you to do X in Y way, that is impossible. The worse part is, I guarantee you, that you have already screened out or rejected many people who the engineering managers would have been happy to hire.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
The reason why you cannot place anyone in jobs, is because you don't understand what kind of competence is needed in those jobs, because you have never worked in any of those fields. You as an HR person will never be able to do hiring or reaching out correctly. HR is a fraudulent field, it could never possibly work. You should find a real job where you can be productive. Your company is expecting you to do X in Y way, that is impossible. The worse part is, I guarantee you, that you have already screened out or rejected many people who the engineering managers would have been happy to hire.
She's not an HR person, she's a recruiter. She gets people to apply, she doesn't evaluate whether or not they are qualified. Most recruiters use a pool of people who they get from a licensing board (for instance in my field headhunters use the NJ Consumer Affairs website list of licensed PTs and OTs) and call, text or e-mail them en masse, or they go to college job fairs and give out pens and other chochkies and try to convince students in the right majors to apply to their company. When I tell a headhunter I'm interested, they don't interview me, they give my number to the regional manager in the area they are hiring for.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Quote:
Just found out from the Director of HR that she will be receiving a raise for all the help that she has brought the company. Which is fine, but I know she isn't doing more work than I am.
What the heck. Since when does HR disclose salaries? I don't think OP is trolling exactly, but they aren't telling the whole story.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:45 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
What the heck. Since when does HR disclose salaries? I don't think OP is trolling exactly, but they aren't telling the whole story.
So many don't tell the whole story. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to finally get to the real issue, etc. Ridiculous!

Old 06-21-2019, 04:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's not an HR person, she's a recruiter. She gets people to apply, she doesn't evaluate whether or not they are qualified.
Same thing.
Actually internal recruiters do evaluate who they think are qualified.
They are doing this on people who already applied on the taleo or workday or similar corporate jobs site.
They are doing the pre-screening. In their minds they are protecting the corporation from "bad" people, and protecting the managers from having to look at too many resumes.
One of them told me I don't have the skills for the job, when I'm an expert in the field, he completely misunderstood some of the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment