Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all - I have posted on here before and have typically gotten good advice.

I am a recruiter for a government contracting company (we aren't a recruiting firm, I am an internal recruiter). I typically recruit for cleared and uncleared positions. Doing cleared positions is typically more difficult as people with high clearances are usually super picky with who they respond to (as they should be).

Recently I have been focusing on more internal, uncleared positions. I have not been on the phone much recently as there have not been any candidates to talk to on the phone (but I have some calls coming up). But I have been pretty busy reaching out to candidates, job postings, going through our ATS, etc.

My boss just told me that, since our company is all about 'perception', since I have not been on the phone much, it looks like I haven't been very busy to some people. He (my boss) knows that I am busy, but just because I am not on the phone, there is the perception that I am 'doing nothing' all day.

I don't even know what I am supposed to do anymore. Am I supposed to just call up random people and talk/bull**** with them, so it just appears that I am busy??

Can someone who has been in this position help me out please cause I'm just lost here
This is on your manager. If someone came to me and told me that my staff doesn't "look to be busy". I'd tell them to mind their own effing business. If my team isn't delivering or my staff isn't responding - that's one thing. But if you are going to criticize me or my team - let's talk real-world examples - not subjective ideas.

In the end, your performance is the responsibility of your manager. So either he needs to defend himself/his team, or this is a passive aggressive way for him to say that you aren't doing enough.

I can be the first one in and the last one to leave, and still, be the least productive person in the organization. How busy I look has little to do with how I'm delivering or producing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 10:46 AM

17 posts, read 10,067 times
In the work place, never make yourself look free in front of other employees. the gossip begins from there

Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM

293 posts, read 190,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicWander View Post
In the work place, never make yourself look free in front of other employees. the gossip begins from there
I'm always on the computer doing work/writing emails, I am never just sitting on my phone. You can always hear me doing something.
Their problem is that I am not on the phone enough

Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
You've had so many issues at this job

Am I being unreasonable for thinking it's unfair, and should I start looking for a new job?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM

72 posts, read 57,948 times
Ugh, that's such BS and I hate that our society prioritizes appearances and "perception" above all else now, instead of results.

It's like those fake job interviews where they are only interviewing you to fit their race/gender/whatever quotas. Let's waste everyone's time! Yay!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Perception is a weird thing, and while not a good benchmark, many uninformed people use their perception as a valid measure.

The standard response is to look busy, and let it rolls know how busy you are. If you are an exempt employee, send the occasional email at a weird time, like Saturday morning. Drop minor data points that make you look favorable. Things like- open positions are up 12% over last month; I moved x number of people forward in the queue; clears applicants have dropped by 20%, which increases my workload because of the extra work I need to do for the uncleared applicants.

I am not a recruiter, so I don’t know what people really look at for benchmarks, but make sure that your boss knows, and other people know too. Educate them on what you do, don’t assume they know.
You don’t even need to actively send emails on a Saturday. You can schedule them for later delivery. Send the occasional one at 11pm or 2am.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 AM

293 posts, read 190,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You don’t even need to actively send emails on a Saturday. You can schedule them for later delivery. Send the occasional one at 11pm or 2am.
Woah okay how do you do that?? lol

Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeket View Post
Ugh, that's such BS and I hate that our society prioritizes appearances and "perception" above all else now, instead of results.

It's like those fake job interviews where they are only interviewing you to fit their race/gender/whatever quotas. Let's waste everyone's time! Yay!
Society, as in, you, I, or anyone else for that matter prioritizes self. That is, you care about yourself more than the society, so does everyone else.

At work, every single person thinks they're the most important. Because, to themselves, they are. So, everyone has to justify their job, otherwise they wouldn't have one.

One of my businesses is in aerospace and defense. It took one of the biggest defense contractors in the world more than a week to agree on a $600 change order. You know why? Because 11 (yes 11) different engineers/buyers/quality control people all had to "weigh in". We just laughed.....

Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,155 times
Quote:
and I live in a high CoL city, so I can't afford a paycut
That's your solution. Move out of the high COL city and move to a lower COL city so you can afford to take a pay cut and still survive.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Quote:
Hi all - I have posted on here before and have typically gotten good advice.

Couldn't been here then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment