U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 05:01 AM

1,178 posts, read 466,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all - I have posted on here before and have typically gotten good advice.

I am a recruiter for a government contracting company (we aren't a recruiting firm, I am an internal recruiter). I typically recruit for cleared and uncleared positions. Doing cleared positions is typically more difficult as people with high clearances are usually super picky with who they respond to (as they should be).

Recently I have been focusing on more internal, uncleared positions. I have not been on the phone much recently as there have not been any candidates to talk to on the phone (but I have some calls coming up). But I have been pretty busy reaching out to candidates, job postings, going through our ATS, etc.

My boss just told me that, since our company is all about 'perception', since I have not been on the phone much, it looks like I haven't been very busy to some people. He (my boss) knows that I am busy, but just because I am not on the phone, there is the perception that I am 'doing nothing' all day.

I don't even know what I am supposed to do anymore. Am I supposed to just call up random people and talk/bull**** with them, so it just appears that I am busy??

Can someone who has been in this position help me out please cause I'm just lost here
This "perception" issue - which your post proves is BS - has been popping up more and more.

Sounds like your company is in the movie "Office Space. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 06:03 AM

1,546 posts, read 399,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
This is on your manager. If someone came to me and told me that my staff doesn't "look to be busy". I'd tell them to mind their own effing business. If my team isn't delivering or my staff isn't responding - that's one thing. But if you are going to criticize me or my team - let's talk real-world examples - not subjective ideas.

In the end, your performance is the responsibility of your manager. So either he needs to defend himself/his team, or this is a passive aggressive way for him to say that you aren't doing enough.

I can be the first one in and the last one to leave, and still, be the least productive person in the organization. How busy I look has little to do with how I'm delivering or producing.
I agree with this. I manage a group and if someone were to tell me they didn't look busy enough, I'd defend their actions, because I'd take that as an attack on me as well. The problem is, many managers are just wimps. Someone says something, even if it isn't valid, they take immediate action to please them instead of addressing the concern, or simply ignoring it. If someone has a valid concern, I listen to it, otherwise I push back because either they are clueless or have some hidden agenda.

I would never tell someone to look busy. I'd find that to be a stressful directive.

I believe the OP has a bad manager and possibly bad management. I'd either have a frank discussion with the supervisor or find another job, cause this "look busy" stuff is stupid. Personally I'd refuse to do it. However, early in my career when I wasn't assigned enough work being new on the job I spent time learning nothing stuff, so I guess I still looked busy, but that wasn't my intention. But to look busy with really nothing else to do, that's just crazy.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,451,115 times
Quote:
Woah okay how do you do that?? lol
If you use Outlook, instead of clicking Send use the drop down and select Send Later. You can then choose a date and a time.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times
I agree that it's poor management, but unfortunately becoming more normal. I think much of it stems from the same mindset that hates telework: Management actually doesn't understand the work enough to properly assign tasks and measure when/how well the tasks are completed. Since they don't understand results, they want to perceive "activity." They satisfy that perception by having you at your desk where they can see you and they want to see what to them looks like work. They can't "see" teleworkers and they can't "see" concentration. They can see eyes focused on the screen and hear fingers clacking on a keyboard. So you must be working.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,162,634 times
Quote:
Hi all - I have posted on here before and have typically gotten good advice.

I am a recruiter for a government contracting company (we aren't a recruiting firm, I am an internal recruiter). I typically recruit for cleared and uncleared positions. Doing cleared positions is typically more difficult as people with high clearances are usually super picky with who they respond to (as they should be).

Recently I have been focusing on more internal, uncleared positions. I have not been on the phone much recently as there have not been any candidates to talk to on the phone (but I have some calls coming up). But I have been pretty busy reaching out to candidates, job postings, going through our ATS, etc.

My boss just told me that, since our company is all about 'perception', since I have not been on the phone much, it looks like I haven't been very busy to some people. He (my boss) knows that I am busy, but just because I am not on the phone, there is the perception that I am 'doing nothing' all day.

I don't even know what I am supposed to do anymore. Am I supposed to just call up random people and talk/bull**** with them, so it just appears that I am busy??

Can someone who has been in this position help me out please cause I'm just lost here

Time to start looking for another job. When you start getting gut feelings, and your boss is giving you "hints", the handwriting is on the wall.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:35 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Quote:
"So, Mr. Boss, since you know I'm busy and productive, what is it that you suggest I do?"

If s/he wants you to "look busy", then look busy. Maybe the perception issue is coming from one complainer, and you can just look busier around them.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:46 PM

210 posts, read 82,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
That's your solution. Move out of the high COL city and move to a lower COL city so you can afford to take a pay cut and still survive.
I'm moving in October. Can't move sooner than that.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 AM

210 posts, read 82,011 times
Default Lies spreading about me - don't know what to do anymore

Yes, I've posted here before. I know you guys told me to just 'leave'. But after talking to several companies here, they all pay lower than what I am making now and my rent is too expensive to take a pay-cut. I am moving back home in October, so I just have 5 months left here. So I am looking for advice on how to cope until then.

I am a recruiter for a company that does government contracts. We have a program manager 'A' that is our 'guy' in the cleared space. Dude has a bunch of issues and tries to tear down other employees (like my boss) but it literally seems like no one in the company cares.

Anyways, 'A' told my bosses' boss that I said and did something that is just completely false and I know for a fact that I did not say that. So I told my boss, and my boss discussed this with his boss.

I asked my boss what his boss said, and he goes, 'it is good to validate and verify things like that are said' and then my boss went on to say that because I said one line that bothered 'A', it 'triggered' 'A' and caused him to tell this lie and that I will be more careful with what I say in the future so I don't trigger A.

So someone is spreading lies about me, and it is somehow MY fault that these lies are getting spread. Is there anything that I can do here? Because frankly this is ridiculous. I usually don't care what others say, but once it starts de-valuing my character in the work place, then I start to care.

Do I even go to HR at this point?

Last edited by lm0905; 05-08-2019 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: added more to a sentence

Old 05-08-2019, 12:04 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Frakk the entire concept of "triggering," to start with. If you aren't a functional adult who can hear a word or phrase without going into a fetal position, stay out of public and employment.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:07 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
Is there anything that I can do here?
Yes, you can leave. Yet, you choose not to. Fine.

Suck it up for 5 months and keep your head down. Going to HR will not improve your situation at all, I guarantee you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment