U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM

213 posts, read 83,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Why were you being asked to retake training? Is this a form of remedial training?
He asked me to re-take it because last time I took it was in December, and he thought it had been awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I just have 5 months left here. So I am looking for advice on how to cope until then.
Don't go to HR, don't do anything. Five months isn't a long time. It could take you that long or longer to find another job in the area and actually start. So just chill, and find other ways to treat yourself better until you leave. Don't have lunch with anyone at work, leave the area for that time. Phone friends who you really enjoy talking to and don't talk about work. Talk about the future and that you are leaving in 5 months.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but that is the best thing for you to do is run out the clock. Again, don't go to HR, don't have any meetings with anyone at work about anything to try to discuss or fix the situation.

Be glad you have an exit plan there. Many people who feel stuck in a bad situation don't think they will ever get out of it.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:42 PM

Default Co-Worker that's been at company shorter time has now gotten a raise

I've posted on here before, but now I'm just pretty much like Į\_(ツ)_/Į but still a little peeved.
I've been at my company since October and am doing 500% more work than I was told I'd be doing. Which is fine, but it is much more work than I anticipated. I am not saying I 100% deserve a raise since I've only been here for almost 10 months.

But there was a 'new hire' back in January who just graduated college in 2018. She didn't have any experience in her position now, so she is pretty junior. When hiring her, the hiring took a bit longer than expected so they threw an extra 10k on her salary because they 'felt bad'.

Just found out from the Director of HR that she will be receiving a raise for all the help that she has brought the company. Which is fine, but I know she isn't doing more work than I am.

Now I feel like I am putting in all of this extra work and time (9+ hour days/working when I get home) for nothing.

Am I wrong to feel a little jilted by this? Makes me now only want to do the bare minimum and not go the extra mile, since it's apparent that I am not valued here.

I am moving back to the west coast in the fall, so I'd just like to ride this job out so I am here for a year.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM

4,536 posts, read 2,319,369 times
i'd be pissed too. not sure of your industry but why are salaries posted to the public.
could it be her position is more visible so it seems like she is more valuable than the workers behind the curtain.
also, sometimes signing one t.p.s. report is more valuable than constructing 1,000 widgets for the week.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'd be pissed too. not sure of your industry but why are salaries posted to the public.
could it be her position is more visible so it seems like she is more valuable than the workers behind the curtain.
also, sometimes signing one t.p.s. report is more valuable than constructing 1,000 widgets for the week.
I am a recruiter and she is a jr tech writer. It's hard to tell who has more visibility, since I a the ones that are getting new candidates/employees for the company.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:01 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,546,879 times
How do you know how much money she got when hired on, and that she's getting a raise? What kind of company do you work for where they actively discuss the salaries (new hire, bonuses, raises) to you? Very, very odd.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
How do you know how much money she got when hired on, and that she's getting a raise? What kind of company do you work for where they actively discuss the salaries (new hire, bonuses, raises) to you? Very, very odd.
I was there when my boss called her with the offer. And I was in a meeting with my boss and the director of HR when she announced the raise

Old 06-07-2019, 05:49 AM

20,552 posts, read 16,625,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I was just thinking this. Every company Iíve ever worked what other people make is kept very tightlipped. How would OP know that they added $10,000 to her salary when they hired her or any of these details?? I donít have a clue what my coworkers make. This would be very odd for coworkers to know such detail abut their coworkers pay.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 AM

3,971 posts, read 1,697,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was just thinking this. Every company Iíve ever worked what other people make is kept very tightlipped. How would OP know that they added $10,000 to her salary when they hired her or any of these details?? I donít have a clue what my coworkers make. This would be very odd for coworkers to know such detail abut their coworkers pay.
It is actually the norm in the public sector as salaries are often public. Some states are also moving in that direction for the private sector. Particularly if you are a company that has gotten alleged of discrimination with respect to pay, there can be some benefits to being more transparent.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because my company doesn't care. I thought it was a little odd when I found out her salary originally. But I found it VERY weird when the DIRECTOR of HR was so non-nonchalant about telling me about my co-worker getting a raise today. It just speaks volumes of this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment