U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:46 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,387,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I am a recruiter and she is a jr tech writer. It's hard to tell who has more visibility, since I a the ones that are getting new candidates/employees for the company.
Firstly, you and her have two have different jobs so you can’t compare her salary to yours. You can compare your salary to the average in your position, industry, and location.

If you want a raise, make a list of where you have exceeded and excelled expectations. Take that to your bosses and be ready to persuade them.

Secondly, you hold a position in which you’re privy to sensitive and confidential information. Be a professional and remain neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
But there was a 'new hire' back in January who just graduated college in 2018. She didn't have any experience in her position now, so she is pretty junior. When hiring her, the hiring took a bit longer than expected so they threw an extra 10k on her salary because they 'felt bad'.
I have never worked for a company that "Felt bad" for me and gave me more money than I was worth....

I worked at one and before I was laid off, I found out people had been working there 9-11 years and still made less than I did. I pondered that for a bit then realized I had the skill set they wanted and paid me accordingly....

Old 06-07-2019, 03:47 PM

85 posts, read 61,581 times
This is just a guess but maybe it comes down to billable hours. You said she is a tech writer. Maybe her hours are billed to your clients/projects and not considered overhead. It may be easier for your management to give her raises on account that the money is going against an billable project. Doesn't mean they wont give you a raise, just means you'll have to fight harder for it.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM

7,375 posts, read 11,542,544 times
Quote:
Nope. No one knows I am leaving. They all think that I am here for the long-run.
1) There's lots of reasons why people get promoted over you. You could work 40 hours a month more than someone and they get promoted over you. Off the top of my head...

a) That person brings in business.
b) That person is more billable.
c) That person ASKED for a raise and you didn't.
d) Could be as simple as they like that person better for any number of dumb reasons.
e) See d.
f) See d.

2) I am in the same position more or less as someone who I have been on track with neck and neck just got promoted. They may be promoting me later on, they may not. I do think I deserve it. And I do think that the person who got promoted would also say the same. They deserve it, so do I. The thing is ... I don't know if I want to be promoted or keep working in this career. In essence, if I ask for a raise, I'm locking myself into this job and career.

3) You're moving, so who cares. This is not a game of pride. It's a game of helping yourself get to where you want to be, not blindly being promoted. And since being promoted has no bearing on your future, it's not something to be concerned with.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 AM

794 posts, read 334,169 times
Quote:
I've posted on here before, but now I'm just pretty much like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but still a little peeved.
I've been at my company since October and am doing 500% more work than I was told I'd be doing. Which is fine, but it is much more work than I anticipated. I am not saying I 100% deserve a raise since I've only been here for almost 10 months.

But there was a 'new hire' back in January who just graduated college in 2018. She didn't have any experience in her position now, so she is pretty junior. When hiring her, the hiring took a bit longer than expected so they threw an extra 10k on her salary because they 'felt bad'.

Just found out from the Director of HR that she will be receiving a raise for all the help that she has brought the company. Which is fine, but I know she isn't doing more work than I am.

Now I feel like I am putting in all of this extra work and time (9+ hour days/working when I get home) for nothing.

Am I wrong to feel a little jilted by this? Makes me now only want to do the bare minimum and not go the extra mile, since it's apparent that I am not valued here.

I am moving back to the west coast in the fall, so I'd just like to ride this job out so I am here for a year.
Have you ASKED for a raise? Presented a good argument for one? I've received raises several times before others with more seniority and experience... because I asked for it.

It's often the case that women aren't paid what men are paid *not because of sexism by employers/managers* but because they aren't "aggressive"... they haven't prepared and then asked for it. More and more professors are stressing the importance of this, in the workplace, and it's possible that your co-worker paid attention and is seeing the fruit of doing this. Women need to be standing firm on their work, not deferent, and asking for their worth, as many men tend to do.

Companies are not in the habit of actively seeking people to give raises to...

Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM

686 posts, read 249,062 times
Quote:
I've posted on here before, but now I'm just pretty much like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but still a little peeved.
I've been at my company since October and am doing 500% more work than I was told I'd be doing. Which is fine, but it is much more work than I anticipated. I am not saying I 100% deserve a raise since I've only been here for almost 10 months.

Just found out from the Director of HR that she will be receiving a raise for all the help that she has brought the company. Which is fine, but I know she isn't doing more work than I am.

Now I feel like I am putting in all of this extra work and time (9+ hour days/working when I get home) for nothing.

Am I wrong to feel a little jilted by this? Makes me now only want to do the bare minimum and not go the extra mile, since it's apparent that I am not valued here.

I am moving back to the west coast in the fall, so I'd just like to ride this job out so I am here for a year.
I feel for you. I'm sure lots of people would say that's life. Who said the upper management would have to be fair with employees? Or they would say if you are unhappy at where you work, go to find somewhere else.

I think in life and at the workplace, you don't get favour, a raise or a promotion by having good ethics, devoting your life and working hard for the company, but by knowing how to talk, how to sell yourself, or having a charm.

Lots of good and honest people are learning and changing.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was just thinking this. Every company I’ve ever worked what other people make is kept very tightlipped. How would OP know that they added $10,000 to her salary when they hired her or any of these details?? I don’t have a clue what my coworkers make. This would be very odd for coworkers to know such detail abut their coworkers pay.
Yes, I call bs on the extra $10K because "they felt bad" that it took so long. What company does that.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,984,165 times
Quote:

Are you wrong for feeling jilted? Not sure you can be wrong for feeling what you are feeling.

However - as a total stranger on a forum, we can only provide different perspectives which may (or may not) help you understand why this may have happened.

First of all - the reality is that it isn't about who does "more work". And to a certain extent - a lot of that is subjective anyway. Most people feel they are doing more than they were originally asked, or feel they are going above and beyond. But at the end of the day - it's not about how much "work" you are doing, but rather how those results impact the organization.

Perhaps the mangers "sees" more impact as a result of what your co-worker is bringing to the table. Of course, that is also subjective. The other potential is that this is clearly favoritism. But since it wasn't mentioned, we'll just not even consider that.

Are you really just spinning your wheels? Or is what you're doing adding to your skills/accomplishment? That something you need to figure out. Just because you are not being appreciated for what you are doing here doesn't mean it won't be appreciated or help you out down the road. I think the key is that rather than just get upset - do something about it. If you really feel like you are contributing, but are simply not being appreciated. Figure out how to make your contributions more visible, or take your skills elsewhere where it will be...

Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Have you ASKED for a raise? Presented a good argument for one? I've received raises several times before others with more seniority and experience... because I asked for it.

It's often the case that women aren't paid what men are paid *not because of sexism by employers/managers* but because they aren't "aggressive"... they haven't prepared and then asked for it. More and more professors are stressing the importance of this, in the workplace, and it's possible that your co-worker paid attention and is seeing the fruit of doing this. Women need to be standing firm on their work, not deferent, and asking for their worth, as many men tend to do.

Companies are not in the habit of actively seeking people to give raises to...
The bolded is what I was wondering. Have you asked for a raise?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 AM

210 posts, read 82,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I call bs on the extra $10K because "they felt bad" that it took so long. What company does that.
I remember word-for-Word when this happened. It had been about 1 month since they brought in said-co worker for an interview. And then after 1 month, they decided they wanted her. My boss brought me into the meeting with the coo of the company, and they both said ‘we originally were only going to offer her 50k, but because we took so long to get back to her, let’s just give her 60k because we don’t want to look bad’. And then 5 minutes later, my boss got on the phone with said co-worker and offered her the position and the 60k salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment