U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2019, 11:34 AM
 
736 posts, read 195,531 times
Reputation: 1262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
That's what I have been trying- apparently not succeeding- to say.
My job IS one where I don't have to take calls, and calls should not come in as they do. Some are warranted and I do not mind helping those folks at all. Many are just ridiculous. As an office, we get perhaps 50 calls per day average, and we should get about 6.

Sometimes people will ask something like "what's the phone number for....", and so I politely, and with my sweetest customer service voice, respond "Let me Google search that for you" - actually thinking "because apparently you do not have google, or have not heard of google....in 2019....expletive expletive"
Meanwhile such a ridiculous call makes me forget where I was in the process of all the math, contract interpretation, and long chains of memorization I have to do, and the very thing I was working on is now all fd up....because I had to do a GOOGLE search for a phone number. Seriously????
If you do not have to take calls, why do you manipulate the phone system to avoid them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 AM
 
Location: DFW
565 posts, read 159,142 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
If you do not have to take calls, why do you manipulate the phone system to avoid them?
Ah yes, I see how poor my communication was there.
My job is the type of job that can be done anyplace and any time that there is a computer, which is pretty much any place on earth, and 24 hours a day. The only reason that I can find to be handcuffed to my chair 8-5, as I am, is that the office, which existed well before I came on board, set some kind of whacky precedent for other people in the same business (who also do not need the phone to do their jobs) to call in. So the phone rings and does not need to for 90% of the calls we get.

I just find it annoying and self-righteous when I have 5 brokers who have sent me an email requesting something, and one calls, so that one gets the attention? That one is the most important person on earth? It's selfish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 PM
 
9,707 posts, read 4,569,501 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I just find it annoying and self-righteous when I have 5 brokers who have sent me an email requesting something, and one calls, so that one gets the attention? That one is the most important person on earth? It's selfish!

So don't reward it with an immediate answer. Tell them you are busy and will get back with them on an answer, then answer them after you have answered everyone who emailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 02:28 PM
 
736 posts, read 195,531 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Ah yes, I see how poor my communication was there.
My job is the type of job that can be done anyplace and any time that there is a computer, which is pretty much any place on earth, and 24 hours a day. The only reason that I can find to be handcuffed to my chair 8-5, as I am, is that the office, which existed well before I came on board, set some kind of whacky precedent for other people in the same business (who also do not need the phone to do their jobs) to call in. So the phone rings and does not need to for 90% of the calls we get.

I just find it annoying and self-righteous when I have 5 brokers who have sent me an email requesting something, and one calls, so that one gets the attention? That one is the most important person on earth? It's selfish!
Again. Why do you manipulate the phone system to shift those calls to coworkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 PM
 
1,559 posts, read 404,523 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
Humans need to interact to communicate and there is nothing aggressive, invasive or rude about using the phone.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 PM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,451,444 times
Reputation: 6544
I hate getting phone calls. Unless it's for a quick question that can be easily answered, email me! I work in an open office. It's distracting enough without someone calling and needing information about something I might have worked on two weeks ago. Please send a clear, concise email explaining what you need. Then I can refresh my memory, look up the information, and get back to you with the answer.

Also, a large part of my job is gathering/providing documentation for every number that goes in the reports I work on. This is a requirement and a control that is tested. I need information in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top