Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:00 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
This line of thinking will make you "the difficult one in office to deal with" and you will be labeled as such. You have to be flexible!! You should be able to use all forms of communication that your company utilizes, phone, email, ftp site, cloud etc.. If you whine a lot then no one is going to want to work with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
So basically you don't like taking calls. I suggest you find another job if you hate it so much.
Well said! The OP quit responding so I'm guessing they realized how childish and stupid their post was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Today, we have yet another choice: email and/or text message. Today, for those businesses which actually sit and work at a computer in order to help customers and get things done, it is RUDE to call and demand to be helped immediately. It says to the person receiving the call "I don't care how busy you are, what you are doing, or how invasive it is for you to have you stop, drop, and help me immediately. *I* am the most important person in the world, and whomever you're currently helping is dirt under my feet".
Which is why I simply do not answer calls when I don't want to. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If I don't want to talk to the caller, I don't answer. If I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't answer. Leave a voicemail, or text, or email. Keep calling, and I'll block your number.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:06 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Which is why I simply do not answer calls when I don't want to. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If I don't want to talk to the caller, I don't answer. If I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't answer. Leave a voicemail, or text, or email. Keep calling, and I'll block your number.
She’s talking about answering telephone calls at work as part of her job. She finds it rude for customers to call on the phone rather than email.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Do some workplaces actually allow employees to avoid answering phone calls? I've not heard of that.

I wouldn't want to be a customer of a business that didn't allow me to call them on the phone. I would take my business somewhere else.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:13 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do some workplaces actually allow employees to avoid answering phone calls? I've not heard of that.

I wouldn't want to be a customer of a business that didn't allow me to call them on the phone. I would take my business somewhere else.
Me too.

They don’t allow her to avoid phone calls, she uses a workaround:

“I do cheat the system though, and call myself from my cell phone and put myself on hold so it looks like I am on the phone and therefore cannot take another one”

Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
That has to be one of the silliest statements I have ever read on here.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Me too.

They don’t allow her to avoid phone calls, she uses a workaround:

“I do cheat the system though, and call myself from my cell phone and put myself on hold so it looks like I am on the phone and therefore cannot take another one”
I would fire someone if I knew they did that.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

It depends on what your job position is, I guess. Phone calls help me communicate with the people I am working on projects with but my job doesn't require me to routinely answer phone calls in the sense of it being something like a help desk or a customer service or sales type of position.

My work can be complex and require focused concentration. I tend to work in spurts of 15 to 30 minutes, and then take a break for a few minutes to allow my head to reset and then I can go back to focusing on the next section of the document I'm working on. If someone calls during a break, I usually answer. If the phone rings during a time when I'm concentrating, I glance at the number and unless it's someone I'm expecting a call from or have been trying to connect with, I let it go to voicemail and get back to them when it's a time that is more conducive to managing my work flow.

There are of course other job functions at my work place, where the expectation would be to answer the phone when it rings, unless you are on another call, which sounds perhaps more comparable to OP's situation.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:52 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Oh. You mean the “junk” that piles
On your coworkers while you shirk your duties?
It's not possible the way our office is structured to really pile any of the work on co-workers.
To recap:
1. What i do is tedious, and requires a whole long string of "If-then" thinking, all of which must be documented at the end of the process, and most of which has a window pulled up related to it.
if A, then B, if B, then C, if C then D, .....down to approximately letter L-S depending on size of account. If my thought chain and/or chain of computer windows is broken by a phone call, it is a risk of making a critical error.
Secondly, everything must be documented in writing anyway, so why call? That same caller would not want me to make an error on their account caused by someone else's call, so....
I still maintain that with other, better choices, a phone call when email would suffice is akin to standing in front of someone and hovering over them while they are trying to finish a tedious project.
Is there the occasional warranted phone call? SURE! But it's maybe 1 out of 10

Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I'm not in a technical job or a customer service related job. Communication for me is imparitive and is confidential at times. E-mails, no matter how secure, can be compromised. So can text messages, even if encrypted through a third party. I use in person communication and telephone calls excluseively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment