U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,553,447 times

Advertisements

There are some things for which a call works better. You can't do "meetings over emails." Discussion in real-time is key for a lot of things. With that said, for updates and general communication, I always send an email first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,911,245 times
When I know phone calls will be unusually disruptive I prepare a message telling the caller when I will be available to talk or when I will return their call and let the calls roll. I also suggest someone else who might be able to help them in the mean time if such a person exists. Then, I make a point to return the call or make myself available when I say I will be. No one is being ignored, no one is being interrupted.

Manage your time well and you'll manage your attitude. Nothing ruder or more disrespectful than to ignore a business-related call. As for the OP's assertion that calling someone is rude, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:06 PM

736 posts, read 190,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
It's not possible the way our office is structured to really pile any of the work on co-workers.
To recap:
1. What i do is tedious, and requires a whole long string of "If-then" thinking, all of which must be documented at the end of the process, and most of which has a window pulled up related to it.
if A, then B, if B, then C, if C then D, .....down to approximately letter L-S depending on size of account. If my thought chain and/or chain of computer windows is broken by a phone call, it is a risk of making a critical error.
Secondly, everything must be documented in writing anyway, so why call? That same caller would not want me to make an error on their account caused by someone else's call, so....
I still maintain that with other, better choices, a phone call when email would suffice is akin to standing in front of someone and hovering over them while they are trying to finish a tedious project.
Is there the occasional warranted phone call? SURE! But it's maybe 1 out of 10
So why call your phone from your cell? You’re lying.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM

1,060 posts, read 461,606 times
Quote:
Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
THIS is why I hate the telephone! I have them I use them but I still hate them to the point I either won't answer them or won't talk on them. (my grown children get a pass on this point)

Old 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM

554 posts, read 154,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
So why call your phone from your cell? You’re lying.
Not entirely lying, but I have only done it a couple of times, when it was crucial that I finish something immediately and without error.

The other ladies here who do my same job are older than me and just have not absorbed technology as well (and I probably not as well as my kids, actually), so they struggle to get all their work done for not knowing the most efficient ways. The phones really hurt them much more than they hurt me because I stay caught up (hence my activity on C-D). It therefore irritates me that we don't come together as a team and re-educate callers to make other more practical choices.
Just one example: Someone calls and asks a question about a quote I sent out. I tell them the date and time that I sent the email and we read it together, I then ask if they have any questions or did I confuse them in any way. This way they can do it themselves next time. Teach a man to fish......

Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM

6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
May I offer the three "P's of good business .
PEOPLE FIRST.
phones second.
Paper third.

The person in front of you takes precedence.
The person calling gets a genteel greeting followed by a request to put them on hold (if you have a person in front of you).
Paperwork...while vital in some industries is not going anywhere. It won't walk away or slam a phone on you.

I detest the arrogance of some folks who say. ..ohh let it go to voicemail. What an entitled attitude of "I'll decide who's worthy of my work time". Nope..the customer will ultimately decide to write you off.
So mind your P's .

Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM

736 posts, read 190,685 times
Quote:
Not entirely lying, but I have only done it a couple of times, when it was crucial that I finish something immediately and without error.

The other ladies here who do my same job are older than me and just have not absorbed technology as well (and I probably not as well as my kids, actually), so they struggle to get all their work done for not knowing the most efficient ways. The phones really hurt them much more than they hurt me because I stay caught up (hence my activity on C-D). It therefore irritates me that we don't come together as a team and re-educate callers to make other more practical choices.
Just one example: Someone calls and asks a question about a quote I sent out. I tell them the date and time that I sent the email and we read it together, I then ask if they have any questions or did I confuse them in any way. This way they can do it themselves next time. Teach a man to fish......
So why block or “busy out” your phone?

... you’re still lying, and stealing from your employer.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I disagree. If a person doesn't want to answer a call they can let it go to voicemail. Sometimes a call can take 2 minutes to get resolution for an issue while an email can take 15 minutes to compose. Emails get lost, stopped by spam filters etc. Also once something is in an email, it can easily be made public. A phone call is not rude or aggressive, it's a personal preference. Nothing wrong with email or text of course but it's not always the best or preferred option for some people.

And sometimes a call can take 15 minutes for what a text/email could do in 30 seconds. Emails getting lost are like checks getting lost in the mail - sometimes it happens but 99% of the time it's claimed it is just desperate azz-covering by the party that dropped the ball. The fact that email is written and publishable is why I prefer it for business. No more "that's not what I said" or "I don't remember saying that".

I wouldn't say a phone call is rude and it's easy enough to silence the ringer and send it to vm but if you don't "do" email/text and insist on doing business by phone, you won't be doing business with me.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 AM

6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And sometimes a call can take 15 minutes for what a text/email could do in 30 seconds. Emails getting lost are like checks getting lost in the mail - sometimes it happens but 99% of the time it's claimed it is just desperate azz-covering by the party that dropped the ball. The fact that email is written and publishable is why I prefer it for business. No more "that's not what I said" or "I don't remember saying that".

I wouldn't say a phone call is rude and it's easy enough to silence the ringer and send it to vm but if you don't "do" email/text and insist on doing business by phone, you won't be doing business with me.
Then we shall agree to disagree.
As much as I find Emails a burden to compose, I find it can be a battle of interpretations to decipher them!

For example a sentence structured: " A woman without her man is nothing" vs. " A woman:without her, man is nothing.

Ah how punctuate can change the dynamics of a conversation. Yet Get on the phone and you hear the tone, context and the personality. Emails are dry and depersonalized. So I suppose to those who prefer the "indifference" carried thru in most emails. Have at it. I detest the "cookie" cutter emails and the endless sidelining of issues . I don't like waiting days for an answer that can be had by a quick phone call!

Yes emails can be great for sending scanned docs or proposals for review.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Then we shall agree to disagree.
As much as I find Emails a burden to compose, I find it can be a battle of interpretations to decipher them!

For example a sentence structured: " A woman without her man is nothing" vs. " A woman:without her, man is nothing.

Ah how punctuate can change the dynamics of a conversation. Yet Get on the phone and you hear the tone, context and the personality. Emails are dry and depersonalized. So I suppose to those who prefer the "indifference" carried thru in most emails. Have at it. I detest the "cookie" cutter emails and the endless sidelining of issues . I don't like waiting days for an answer that can be had by a quick phone call!

Yes emails can be great for sending scanned docs or proposals for review.
On the flip side, I can't count how many times another worker has picked up the phone the moment they had an issue or a question, gave some incomplete halfassed account, and in clarifying the details and logic they realize that there is no issue or they had the answer right in front of them. If they had only taken a moment to stop, think, act before blindly and instinctively reaching for the phone. An email forces one to organize their thoughts and present it in a structured order. There's nothing that can be said that can't be written unless you're planning to communicate with grunts and growls. Have you ever listened to the convoluted way people talk to give an account of something that happened? "I've got a woman down here. She's nothing". What woman? "The woman who was here yesterday". Why was she here yesterday and again now? "Because she can't find him". Find who? "Her man." What man? "Her husband, I guess." And why is this an issue? "Because she's nothing without him." In conversation, people overuse pronouns, say things out of order, give irrelevant and distracting info, voice their thoughts-in-process, and often change their minds in mid-conversation. Not to mention speak with a strong accent or annoying voice, talk too fast or slow, talk too loud or soft, or get wound up.

Emails are dry and depersonalized.Which is how business communications are supposed to be. If you're reporting a technical issue or needing sales figures or such, your tone and personality have nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or