U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And sometimes a call can take 15 minutes for what a text/email could do in 30 seconds. Emails getting lost are like checks getting lost in the mail - sometimes it happens but 99% of the time it's claimed it is just desperate azz-covering by the party that dropped the ball. The fact that email is written and publishable is why I prefer it for business. No more "that's not what I said" or "I don't remember saying that".

I wouldn't say a phone call is rude and it's easy enough to silence the ringer and send it to vm but if you don't "do" email/text and insist on doing business by phone, you won't be doing business with me.
So if a customer has a question about a bill or a problem with your service, and calls, you just wonít answer? I wonít do business with you if thatís the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM

9,650 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So if a customer has a question about a bill or a problem with your service, and calls, you just won’t answer? I won’t do business with you if that’s the case.

"Writing it down" is a time-proven aid to fostering memory. It's why students are encouraged to take notes. Putting it into an email might help some to remember it better.

Look, this obviously depends a lot on one's specific situation and needs. I am not providing "customer service" or taking calls from outside customers. I'm in applications development and my collaboration is with my boss, project team members, and testers. If my boss was a phone guy and said we discuss issues by phone then clearly I would have to do so or move along. Fortunately, he has the same viewpoint as I do. My boss never cold calls me. There are times we get on the phone and discuss but he'll send a skype asking when we can get on the phone to discuss xyz. And my answer is almost always "right now" but at least I am able to start thinking about xyz and not blindsided after "hello".

Also, people are different. I'm not here trying to force others to rip out their phones. I've already disagreed with OP that calling is rude or aggressive. But it's not for everyone and it's not for me. Tell me something verbally and I might remember part of it. Send it to me in writing and it's like I take a mental snapshot and will remember it all, in the order that you told me. Not to mention, it remains available to review at a later time whenever needed as needed. You need to organize your own thoughts before bringing them to me. And there's little or nothing in my job to which I am going to take immediate action. It's going into a cue.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
"Writing it down" is a time-proven aid to fostering memory. It's why students are encouraged to take notes. Putting it into an email might help some to remember it better.

Look, this obviously depends a lot on one's specific situation and needs. I am not providing "customer service" or taking calls from outside customers. I'm in applications development and my collaboration is with my boss, project team members, and testers. If my boss was a phone guy and said we discuss issues by phone then clearly I would have to do so or move along. Fortunately, he has the same viewpoint as I do. You need to organize your own thoughts before bringing them to me. And there's little or nothing in my job to which I am going to take immediate action. It's going into a cue.

Also, people are different. I'm not here trying to force others to rip out their phones. I've already disagreed with OP that calling is rude or aggressive. But it's not for everyone and it's not for me. Tell me something verbally and I might remember part of it. Send it to me in writing and it's like I take a mental snapshot and will remember it all, in the order that you told me. Not to mention, it remains available to review at a later time whenever needed as needed.
Well obviously, your job does not require answering phones. OPís does and she actually uses a ruse to fool her employer and co-workers into thinking sheís answering phone calls. I donít know how that can be defended.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well obviously, your job does not require answering phones. OPís does and she actually uses a ruse to fool her employer and co-workers into thinking sheís answering phone calls. I donít know how that can be defended.

I'm not defending that. She needs to do the job or move along.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM

608 posts, read 581,305 times
Have you heard the saying , "80 percent of communication in non verbal"? I would tend to agree as you can tell a lot about what a person is trying to communicate by their mannerisms, stance, tone of voice, and other aspects that cant be determined by a text. I have texted a younger client before I call to let them know its me who is calling and to pick up.

Here's my rules for communication:

Texting is useful for short non critical communications like "I am here", or "what is the address?"

Emails, as long as people use punctuation to break up ideas and sentences, can be very effective. If its more than a sentence or two, a phone call might be the better choice.

When trying to understand a client, in person or on the phone really stand out and makes my understanding of their situation clearer.

Those who insist on only text or only this means of communication are really hampering their understanding of what the client is trying to do.

I think many people are trying to avoid anxiety, and will go to great lengths to not talk to another human. They never learned good social skills and are not prepared for life, imo. I consider it a sign of weakness, as do many people my age.

FYI, If I found out an employee of mine was calling themselves to avoid work, they would be fired. That is stealing. "

Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Quote:
On the flip side, I can't count how many times another worker has picked up the phone the moment they had an issue or a question, gave some incomplete halfassed account, and in clarifying the details and logic they realize that there is no issue or they had the answer right in front of them. If they had only taken a moment to stop, think, act before blindly and instinctively reaching for the phone. An email forces one to organize their thoughts and present it in a structured order. There's nothing that can be said that can't be written unless you're planning to communicate with grunts and growls. Have you ever listened to the convoluted way people talk to give an account of something that happened? "I've got a woman down here. She's nothing". What woman? "The woman who was here yesterday". Why was she here yesterday and again now? "Because she can't find him". Find who? "Her man." What man? "Her husband, I guess." And why is this an issue? "Because she's nothing without him." In conversation, people overuse pronouns, say things out of order, give irrelevant and distracting info, voice their thoughts-in-process, and often change their minds in mid-conversation. Not to mention speak with a strong accent or annoying voice, talk too fast or slow, talk too loud or soft, or get wound up.

Emails are dry and depersonalized.Which is how business communications are supposed to be. If you're reporting a technical issue or needing sales figures or such, your tone and personality have nothing to do with it.
It is counterintuitive to believe that a person having difficulty communicating by telephone will have an easier time of doing it in writing.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:39 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It is counterintuitive to believe that a person having difficulty communicating by telephone will have an easier time of doing it in writing.
Why? Some people can talk with ease without thinking. Others need to form their thoughts first.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

It is counterintuitive to believe that all persons are the same with regards to speech and writing.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 3,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
It was certainly well worth the ride in the last hundred years to give your mom a one-ring call and hang up to get your dime back and still get picked up at the pool.

I don't think phone calling is aggressive, intrusive or even invasive if it's a personal call or one that may be disconcerted - if you want your phone to be only an outgoing device then set it up right (mute). I have a google voice number that is my main contact and it will transcribe all calls including voice mail into an email, sometimes so hysterical that I have to call them back asap just for the belly rub.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why? Some people can talk with ease without thinking. Others need to form their thoughts first.
Why? Really? Do you read the messages on this website often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or