U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 PM

4,250 posts, read 1,569,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Yep. And people wonder why they get micro managed - it’s the thieves sitting next to you that create that.
Yup. My new job is in a call center and we have to account for the times we put the phone into "Not Ready," provide a reason why (there's a code you have enter into the phone), and those modifications have to be documented and approved by a supervisor. When we aren't on lunch or break we are expected to be logged in and either on a call or waiting for a call. OP wouldn't last a week where I work. You only get 3 reprimands before they fire you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
LOL- I am 51 years old, so at my age, I'll take the compliment
Chronological age and mental/emotional age all too often have very little to do with each other.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why? Really? Do you read the messages on this website often?
Of course. We are talking about telephone vs email in a professional setting. Unless it's a casual conversation, the telephone can put someone on the spot:

"How did you get the cost for line 106 in the Dinglefritz estimate?"
Your thinking "Uhh, Dinglefritz??? That was three weeks ago. I don't remember specific numbers from an estimate three weeks ago. I need to research it."
But what really happens is "uh, uh, I'm not sure. Let me get back to you."
And while you drop everything in the urgency of the phone call you look dumb to the caller for not knowing the answer to their random question off the top of your head.
Meanwhile "RinggggG Ö."

Whereas with email, you have time to finish what you're doing. Then research the question. And find the other three emails related to Dinglefritz and type up a thoughtful response to the question, with back up data.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Of course. We are talking about telephone vs email in a professional setting. Unless it's a casual conversation, the telephone can put someone on the spot:

Your thinking "Uhh, Dinglefritz??? That was three weeks ago. I don't remember specific numbers from an estimate three weeks ago. I need to research it."
And while you drop everything in the urgency of the phone call you look dumb to the caller for not knowing the answer to their random question off the top of your head.
Meanwhile "RinggggG Ö."

Whereas with email, you have time to finish what you're doing. Then research the question. And find the other three emails related to Dinglefritz and type up a thoughtful response to the question, with back up data.
Agreed.

I work a help desk for years after college. Ever since then, I prefer to not talk on the phone. I never call someone first unless they email me and ask for a return call.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM

6,964 posts, read 3,865,840 times
Quote:

Meanwhile "RinggggG Ö."

If someone can't figure out how to either pull up the information on the spot or get it and get back to the caller they don't belong in the job. People who cannot communicate have no business in a job based around communication.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If someone can't figure out how to either pull up the information on the spot or get it and get back to the caller they don't belong in the job. People who cannot communicate have no business in a job based around communication.
Or simply ask if they can put the caller on a brief hold while they pull up the info. We are EXPECTED to do that at my job (fielding calls for the NY Health Exchange) and then check in to let them know that we are still researching the answer and ask would they mind holding a bit longer. Only time we'd normally do a call-back is if we get disconnected.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,355,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
In 1895, if you wanted to ask someone a question, tell them exciting news, or get business done, you would get into your coach and go to see them. It mattered not if they were in the bathtub (home), or in the middle of helping another customer (work), as it was your only choice

By the 1920's almost 100% of America had phones. It then became much less laborious to contact someone for business purposes, and was starting to be considered rude to simply show up at someone's home without calling first, as we now had another choice. Certain businesses, like retail, of course still commanded presence, but others, such as banking, may be better served by calling first and resolving over the phone, or making an appointment so as to not rudely barge in on someone else's time
In 1920, 35% of housing units in the United States had telephones. By 1930 it was up to 40.9% but dropped during the Great Depression. See https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-1920/

Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 AM

20,551 posts, read 16,625,375 times
Quote:

Meanwhile "RinggggG …."

How does it look stupid to say I’ll get back to you? Yesterday I spoke with my mortgage person for my refinancing. I asked him a question that he didn’t know he said I’ll get back to you today is that all right? And I said sure. What’s the big deal?

Off and the answer to one question leads to other questions. Yesterday I had a problem with the Blue Cross claim. I asked multiple questions she answered sometimes that changed my questions. If we were doing this via email it would’ve taken 15 emails to get the same information over a course of several days instead of 10 minutes.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How does it look stupid to say Iíll get back to you? Yesterday I spoke with my mortgage person for my refinancing. I asked him a question that he didnít know he said Iíll get back to you today is that all right? And I said sure. Whatís the big deal?

You're entitled to your opinion. I think it does. I would not want to be the one having to say it. I'd rather get an email asking about something and my first contact with the other party be an informed and factual discussion. All this "getting back" and putting on hold is a time-waster for the other party anyways.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM

20,551 posts, read 16,625,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. I think it does. I would not want to be the one having to say it. I'd rather get an email asking about something and my first contact with the other party be an informed and factual discussion. All this "getting back" and putting on hold is a time-waster for the other party anyways.
Ok we can disagree. I donít get it though. Iíve said ďcan I get back to you on thatĒ many times, thereís no shame in it and never had anyone complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or