U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM

580 posts, read 161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And sometimes a call can take 15 minutes for what a text/email could do in 30 seconds. Emails getting lost are like checks getting lost in the mail - sometimes it happens but 99% of the time it's claimed it is just desperate azz-covering by the party that dropped the ball. The fact that email is written and publishable is why I prefer it for business. No more "that's not what I said" or "I don't remember saying that".

I wouldn't say a phone call is rude and it's easy enough to silence the ringer and send it to vm but if you don't "do" email/text and insist on doing business by phone, you won't be doing business with me.
Yes! Finally someone who "gets" me. Like I said, in my business it is what you can prove. I cannot prove a phone call discussion happened (actually I believe calls are recorded and *could* be called upon as evidence, but this doesn't happen in the day-to-day). I want to be able to say [Fwd email] here is what I sent you on December 6 at 10am, let me know if you have any questions.
In my job I cannot risk having an error pinned on me that was not my error, and email provides proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 AM

20,629 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Yes! Finally someone who "gets" me. Like I said, in my business it is what you can prove. I cannot prove a phone call discussion happened (actually I believe calls are recorded and *could* be called upon as evidence, but this doesn't happen in the day-to-day). I want to be able to say [Fwd email] here is what I sent you on December 6 at 10am, let me know if you have any questions.
In my job I cannot risk having an error pinned on me that was not my error, and email provides proof.
It all sounds quite logical, so why donít you say this to your boss instead of fooling him into thinking youíre actually helping customers on the phone?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM

6,866 posts, read 3,731,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If someone can't figure out how to either pull up the information on the spot or get it and get back to the caller they don't belong in the job. People who cannot communicate have no business in a job based around communication.
Don't assume everyone works in such a simplistic job that information can be pulled up on the spot. Or that just because you called instead of emailed that you are the most important person with the most important problem to be solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How does it look stupid to say Iíll get back to you? Yesterday I spoke with my mortgage person for my refinancing. I asked him a question that he didnít know he said Iíll get back to you today is that all right? And I said sure. Whatís the big deal?

Off and the answer to one question leads to other questions. Yesterday I had a problem with the Blue Cross claim. I asked multiple questions she answered sometimes that changed my questions. If we were doing this via email it wouldíve taken 15 emails to get the same information over a course of several days instead of 10 minutes.
You've never had someone "ambush" you and use the confusion of the moment as a weapon against you? Email leaves a trail that verbal does not.

Not every job is a call center. Someone calls me where every answer generates another question means either they don't know their job or there is a significant issue better suited to formal resolution.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 2,931,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
...Today, for those businesses which actually sit and work at a computer in order to help customers and get things done, it is RUDE to call and demand to be helped immediately. ...
If you have a Business and you make a phone number available--then it is rude not to help a person that is calling.

The few times I email a business about an issue--it is only about 30% of the time I get a response.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM

580 posts, read 161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
If you have a Business and you make a phone number available--then it is rude not to help a person that is calling.

The few times I email a business about an issue--it is only about 30% of the time I get a response.

The lack of answering emails is a whole other thread- don't get me started on that one

I do help people on the phone and I do answer it- I have to- if I didn't have to, it wouldn't be a sore spot for me.

There have been a few times where I have caught odd mistakes in my files that I can just tell, as I have a very habitual way of producing work, that I must have been interrupted for the work product to be missing "XYZ". I cannot have errors in my business. Employers and companies always talk about "needing a good multi-tasker"... THAT'S NOT A THING!!! It is impossible to do 2 things at one time perfectly. If it were, texting and driving would be welcomed.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:13 PM

20,629 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Don't assume everyone works in such a simplistic job that information can be pulled up on the spot. Or that just because you called instead of emailed that you are the most important person with the most important problem to be solved.

You've never had someone "ambush" you and use the confusion of the moment as a weapon against you? Email leaves a trail that verbal does not.

Not every job is a call center. Someone calls me where every answer generates another question means either they don't know their job or there is a significant issue better suited to formal resolution.

Ambush? What in earth are you talking about?? No I can't say this has happened in any job I've had. Weapon how? It's not about confusion, it's about "I don't know the answer to that, I'll find out and get back to you". If a family member calls and says "We're want to bring mom to my brother's on Mother's Day, can she get in and out of a small SUV and can we borrow a transport chair?" I'm going to say "Let me talk to the rehab director and one of us will return your call".

I don't see customers as some sort of enemy combatant, maybe that's the difference.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:57 PM

6,988 posts, read 3,881,461 times
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. I think it does. I would not want to be the one having to say it. I'd rather get an email asking about something and my first contact with the other party be an informed and factual discussion. All this "getting back" and putting on hold is a time-waster for the other party anyways.
There. You said "factual discussion." You can not have a one sided discussion. A string of emails does not represent a discussion. That requires give and take, the kind of thing that people have face to face or on the phone every day. If this is a problem for someone whose job entails answering the telephone, they need to change jobs.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:31 PM

9,727 posts, read 4,575,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There. You said "factual discussion." You can not have a one sided discussion. A string of emails does not represent a discussion. That requires give and take, the kind of thing that people have face to face or on the phone every day. If this is a problem for someone whose job entails answering the telephone, they need to change jobs.

You're just wrong. Any communication that goes both ways is a discussion.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:53 PM

6,866 posts, read 3,731,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ambush? What in earth are you talking about?? No I can't say this has happened in any job I've had. Weapon how? It's not about confusion, it's about "I don't know the answer to that, I'll find out and get back to you". If a family member calls and says "We're want to bring mom to my brother's on Mother's Day, can she get in and out of a small SUV and can we borrow a transport chair?" I'm going to say "Let me talk to the rehab director and one of us will return your call".

I don't see customers as some sort of enemy combatant, maybe that's the difference.
You're looking from a way too small perspective, but there are a lot more communications than just between a customer and a provider.

If you've never had a coworker or boss try to "catch you out" over an obscure reference from a phone call a couple weeks ago and throw you under the bus because you didn't recall off the top of your head, then you've been very lucky. I always memorialize any phone conversation with an email afterward.

If I happen to be in the middle of deep concentration work for someone else, your phone call not only interrupts that work, but also drags me away from something that was ahead of you in line so it really better be critical. You shouldn't expect me to drop what I'm doing to chase down what you need right then and call you back and don't expect me to remember it later. An email let's me prioritize and keep track of who needed what, when.

I understand that small basic things are best handled by a phone call. But most business communication is neither of those.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:13 AM

6,988 posts, read 3,881,461 times
Quote:
You're just wrong. Any communication that goes both ways is a discussion.
Wrong? Did you not see where I wrote "You can not have a one sided discussion?" An endless stream of emails is certainly not conducive to a quick and thorough resolution of a situation when the spoken word can be most effective and, if the need exists, can be memorialized in writing. These topics on CD are proof that the written word can sometimes distill a situation to some sort of meeting of the minds but it will often take days of disagreement and attempts at clarification when the give and take of a five minute verbal engagement could reach the same conclusion.

Remember, this topic arose from a person whose employment responsibilities include telephone conversations with clients who believes their preference for texting or emails should prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or