U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 AM
 
6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
Reputation: 15675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Wrong? Did you not see where I wrote "You can not have a one sided discussion?" An endless stream of emails is certainly not conducive to a quick and thorough resolution of a situation when the spoken word can be most effective and, if the need exists, can be memorialized in writing. These topics on CD are proof that the written word can sometimes distill a situation to some sort of meeting of the minds but it will often take days of disagreement and attempts at clarification when the give and take of a five minute verbal engagement could reach the same conclusion.

Remember, this topic arose from a person whose employment responsibilities include telephone conversations with clients who believes their preference for texting or emails should prevail.
I agree. Its a monologue of data. Which is NOT an open discussion.

I disagree with most who avoid the phone because documentation is everything in their world.

People ultimately want YOUR word, In voice, its called integrity. The foundation most business's should operate from. YEt instead we have the CYA folks dodging consumers and using the "Ohh but I must have it documented". True , in contract.

Yet there is more to customer service then the document. I'm just imagining how even in the court system- Verbal communications on the witness stand are strong cases. Such as "Yes I killed the man!". Pretty sure the person didn't have to write it down, email it for it to be valid. But hey, lets take ten minutes to compose an email instead of quickly and confidently answering or assisting a consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 AM
 
5,139 posts, read 2,317,406 times
Reputation: 14718
Horses for courses, folks. Neither is good or bad by itself.


Need to get two people on the same sheet, quickly, especially when feeling are starting to get riled up? Phone. Need detailed documentation of what you agreed, or need to communicate something detailed and technical? Writing.


The idea that customers calling to a company using the phone number provided for that purpose and contacting people who have been hired to answer the phone, is somehow "rude and invasive"? Insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 AM
 
9,655 posts, read 4,550,889 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Wrong? Did you not see where I wrote "You can not have a one sided discussion?" An endless stream of emails is certainly not conducive to a quick and thorough resolution of a situation when the spoken word can be most effective and, if the need exists, can be memorialized in writing. These topics on CD are proof that the written word can sometimes distill a situation to some sort of meeting of the minds but it will often take days of disagreement and attempts at clarification when the give and take of a five minute verbal engagement could reach the same conclusion.

I did see that and I also did see where you wrote "A string of emails does not represent a discussion." A string would imply both sending and receiving, this is not "one-sided". Your entire premise is based on a fallacy, that the email exchange is "endless" and doesn't reach a resolution. The same could be said about phone discussions and meetings.



You really think if all of us on CD were sitting in a room we would reach agreement on these topics in a few minutes? These threads go on because there is no ultimate arbiter to limit it to 5 minutes then declare a decision. But I've certainly known issues that took dozens of phone calls and meetings and still not find agreement or resolution.



Another great thing about email/text/message is that all sides can present their positions equally and does not allow the one who talks the fastest or loudest to interrupt and dominate the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 AM
 
9,655 posts, read 4,550,889 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I agree. Its a monologue of data. Which is NOT an open discussion.

So you don't think this thread is an open discussion? If it's a "monologue" please let me know whose monologue it is. Mine? Yours? Someone else's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 AM
 
10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Reputation: 15912
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
In 1895, if you wanted to ask someone a question, tell them exciting news, or get business done, you would get into your coach and go to see them. It mattered not if they were in the bathtub (home), or in the middle of helping another customer (work), as it was your only choice

By the 1920's almost 100% of America had phones. It then became much less laborious to contact someone for business purposes, and was starting to be considered rude to simply show up at someone's home without calling first, as we now had another choice. Certain businesses, like retail, of course still commanded presence, but others, such as banking, may be better served by calling first and resolving over the phone, or making an appointment so as to not rudely barge in on someone else's time

Today, we have yet another choice: email and/or text message. Today, for those businesses which actually sit and work at a computer in order to help customers and get things done, it is RUDE to call and demand to be helped immediately. It says to the person receiving the call "I don't care how busy you are, what you are doing, or how invasive it is for you to have you stop, drop, and help me immediately. *I* am the most important person in the world, and whomever you're currently helping is dirt under my feet".

If it were, say, a retail store, where you actually WANT foot traffic, you still would not barge into a conversation and force the salesperson to drop what they're doing and help you in favor of who they were already helping.

Even in medical situations, if it is not an emergency life or death situation, you make an appointment, often by computer and not phone.

Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.
As upset as you present, perhaps you should research another line of work that doesn't require you to answer phone calls.

Hopefully your irritation doesn't come across in your voice during a call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 PM
 
Location: DFW
554 posts, read 154,707 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
As upset as you present, perhaps you should research another line of work that doesn't require you to answer phone calls.

Hopefully your irritation doesn't come across in your voice during a call.
That's what I have been trying- apparently not succeeding- to say.
My job IS one where I don't have to take calls, and calls should not come in as they do. Some are warranted and I do not mind helping those folks at all. Many are just ridiculous. As an office, we get perhaps 50 calls per day average, and we should get about 6.

Sometimes people will ask something like "what's the phone number for....", and so I politely, and with my sweetest customer service voice, respond "Let me Google search that for you" - actually thinking "because apparently you do not have google, or have not heard of google....in 2019....expletive expletive"
Meanwhile such a ridiculous call makes me forget where I was in the process of all the math, contract interpretation, and long chains of memorization I have to do, and the very thing I was working on is now all fd up....because I had to do a GOOGLE search for a phone number. Seriously????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 AM
 
6,960 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Reputation: 14799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
That's what I have been trying- apparently not succeeding- to say.
My job IS one where I don't have to take calls,

If you don't have to take calls why do you go through the charade of calling yourself and putting your call on hold?

and calls should not come in as they do.

Is this your assessment or that of your employer?


Some are warranted and I do not mind helping those folks at all. Many are just ridiculous. As an office, we get perhaps 50 calls per day average, and we should get about 6.

Who says you should get only six if you are getting so many more?

Sometimes people will ask something like "what's the phone number for....",

If they're asking for the phone number of Burger King, the bus company or a babysitter you may be correct but I get the idea you have a problem giving them the number for a different department in your organization or a related one that is crucial to the task you're supposed to be performing which would make it part of the customer service process.

and so I politely, and with my sweetest customer service voice, respond "Let me Google search that for you" - actually thinking "because apparently you do not have google, or have not heard of google....in 2019....expletive expletive"
Meanwhile such a ridiculous call makes me forget where I was in the process of all the math, contract interpretation, and long chains of memorization I have to do, and the very thing I was working on is now all fd up....because I had to do a GOOGLE search for a phone number. Seriously????
Perhaps since you are telling us here how difficult it is for you to multi task you should be given a job that is not so challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 05:12 AM
 
32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Even in medical situations, if it is not an emergency life or death situation, you make an appointment, often by computer and not phone.

Calling is aggressive, invasive, and rude if email is a choice you have, and you do not have an emergency.

Just like with a text or email, a person has a choice whether to answer a call or not. Usually if one chooses to to ignore a call, the caller has a choice of leaving a voice message or not. Calling is much more personal than a text or email and a preferred mode of communication by most older people that I know. FYI - In my area, most medical appointments are still made by the phone and many medical offices call the patient to remind them of scheduled appointments by phone. Therefore I completely disagree with your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,471 posts, read 3,639,813 times
Reputation: 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
That's what I have been trying- apparently not succeeding- to say.
My job IS one where I don't have to take calls, and calls should not come in as they do. Some are warranted and I do not mind helping those folks at all. Many are just ridiculous. As an office, we get perhaps 50 calls per day average, and we should get about 6.
Then tell your supervisor that you don't want to answer the phone anymore.

But if you don't want your job anymore, someone else will gladly take it - someone who doesn't find phone calls to be so mentally taxing and challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,371 posts, read 462,248 times
Reputation: 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You're around 20 years off, there.

NYC phone wires in the 1800s. (It got much worse.)


However, my solution is to answer the damn thing when and if I feel like it.
Exactly - that's why there's a 'ring' on the darn thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top