Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,528,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
In the last company I worked with, it was required that all new positions interview at least one external candidate before filling the role with an internal candidate. There were multiple roles that were clearly going to be given to an internal candidate, but the hiring manager was forced due to company policy to interview one or more external candidates.

Just the way it is. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Keep interviewing. Expect nothing until the offer letter is in your hands.
Many positions with public agencies and educational institutions are unofficially filled, before the job opening notices are ever posted. By law, all these jobs have to be announced on public media and qualified people allowed to file applications for them. Graduate teaching fellowships at universities must be advertised in academic publications worldwide, but in most cases, someone already has the position locked-up. I was invited to fill such a graduate-student job once and was told that the way the description for it was written, that anyone taking it away from me, would have to be more like me, than I was, myself.

But soon thereafter, the State Legislature chopped the budget drastically and that position and several other existing ones in the department, evaporated into thin air. That's another thing that often happens with advertised jobs-----they are contingent on budget approval that never comes, even though applicants are interviewed and led to believe they might be hired. Don't be thinking that you're always being told the truth about such issues.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,543,430 times
Welcome to the impersonal world of A.I.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 PM

85 posts, read 204,976 times
I agree with Steve M. It usually means "We were planning on promoting someone all along, but legally, we have to advertise the job opening".

Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 AM

724 posts, read 521,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
There is exactly one constant in all of these equations.

I’d get some interview help.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,756,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
On the other hand, it's frustrating for those internal employees looking to move up in an organization, or finding their original role being outsourced or otherwise eliminated, to find a role being filled from outside. Filling internally should be the first priority for an organization.

Someone else had a point - many times in our organization these openings are already filled by a manager's favorite employee, yes-man, or water-boy. But HR, for whatever legal, regulatory, or just internal policy reason, requires them to do a public ad.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 814,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionspanltd View Post
I agree with Steve M. It usually means "We were planning on promoting someone all along, but legally, we have to advertise the job opening".
This is true of my workplace.

My department recently expanded by one person, which was filled externally as my department is fairly specialized and no one around could do/wanted the job. The new guy asked me after a couple of days about the staffing situation. There had been a bunch of postings in the last year and a half, and he wondered if there was serious turnover? Nope, same people, but with reorganization all of the positions had to be posted publicly, and the people already here had been shuffling around. That made him feel better, as he had been trying to get on with us and had been rejected for "internal applicants" more than once.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,737 times
Euphemisms are better than the blunt truth. At least they were nice enough to spare your feelings, considering you're a stranger to them and they would never see you again.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,662,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Euphemisms are better than the blunt truth. At least they were nice enough to spare your feelings, considering you're a stranger to them and they would never see you again.
All true. I'm sure we'd all like an honest answer about why we were rejected, but in this regulated and litigious climate we are never, ever going to get one. A polite probably-fiction saying we're not hired is at least a sign to move on... and I still find it frustrating that so many companies can't be bothered to do even that, even after multiple interviews and other involvement.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:41 PM

6,585 posts, read 5,829,589 times
Don't show up at an interview expecting them to do something for you.

The point is to prove to them what YOU can do for THEM.

If you get the "internally" response, suck it up and move on. Or else, get scrappy and say "I'm the best applicant you'll ever get. Give me a chance to prove it!" You never know, sometimes a fighter is what they want.

Just don't get all hurt because they didn't give you a long, polite explanation of why this skill was not what they needed, why you didn't have enough of that skill, and here's how you could do better next time. That's nonsense. You're lucky they give you any response at all. They owe you... NOTHING.

All the more reason to research each potential employer carefully, go in very well prepared and take charge of the interview. And spread your net wide.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,662,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Don't show up at an interview expecting them to do something for you.
Like be there, leave the door unlocked and allow you to sit in a chair? I'd put followup with at least those candidates actually contacted in about that basic category.

Simply ghosting everyone except the hire is unspeakably rude on a professional level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment