U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,504,256 times
Reputation: 8938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Like be there, leave the door unlocked and allow you to sit in a chair? I'd put followup with at least those candidates actually contacted in about that basic category.

Simply ghosting everyone except the hire is unspeakably rude on a professional level.
Sure, it's rude. You can sit on the unemployment line and be as offended as you like.

They owe you nothing. They can cancel at the last minute. You can drive an hour to the office in your business attire and be turned away at the reception desk. They can say after 5 minutes "Thanks, there's the door!"

This is the real world. No safe spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Reputation: 12904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Sure, it's rude. You can sit on the unemployment line and be as offended as you like.

They owe you nothing. They can cancel at the last minute. You can drive an hour to the office in your business attire and be turned away at the reception desk. They can say after 5 minutes "Thanks, there's the door!"

This is the real world. No safe spaces.
Meaning you support and encourage the employer view of employees as commodity cattle. Noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
950 posts, read 538,958 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
It hurts, but it is nothing personal....

Unfortunately, you are facing the vagaries of the job market. In your case, it's likely not you. Many companies are required to go through the motions of job vacancy posting (the government especially) when they have someone in mind. This wastes everyone's time, IMHO. When an opportunity arises next time, try to make some inquiries first, so you will know the situation. However, please apply anyway, I have seen jobs that were wired for someone go to someone else due to a change in circumstances of the inside candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 PM
 
2,347 posts, read 1,454,304 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
This. I was up for a job but the hiring manager had to interview outsiders first. The way the job ad was worded no one but me had the qualifications. I felt bad for the people interviewing but those were the hoops we had to jump thru
I've been that person, too. I also felt badly for others who thought there might really be a job. BUT the hiring people interviewed people with an open mind, thinking that it would be nice to find someone for another position they were *thinking* of creating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 05:25 AM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,504,256 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Meaning you support and encourage the employer view of employees as commodity cattle. Noted.
I didn't say what I support. I'm just describing the real world. Some people treat job applicants like gold; others treat them like dirt. Grow a thick skin and be able to take a few hard knocks and you'll get farther. Get offended at every little thing and you limit your opportunities. No one wants to work with a snowflake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 05:41 AM
 
2,082 posts, read 1,858,228 times
Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
yes.
not new, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Don't show up at an interview expecting them to do something for you.

The point is to prove to them what YOU can do for THEM.

If you get the "internally" response, suck it up and move on. Or else, get scrappy and say "I'm the best applicant you'll ever get. Give me a chance to prove it!" You never know, sometimes a fighter is what they want.

Just don't get all hurt because they didn't give you a long, polite explanation of why this skill was not what they needed, why you didn't have enough of that skill, and here's how you could do better next time. That's nonsense. You're lucky they give you any response at all. They owe you... NOTHING.

All the more reason to research each potential employer carefully, go in very well prepared and take charge of the interview. And spread your net wide.
Then maybe they shouldn't make you think you're this amazing candidate, rope you along and then drop you like a sack of potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 08:37 AM
 
6,333 posts, read 3,408,041 times
Reputation: 3498
I wish they'd stop posting these. They are a waste of everyone's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,296 posts, read 1,158,790 times
Reputation: 5404
If you don't get a job, why does it matter? Whether they did find a better candidate, or filled with an internal candidate, or hired the boss' nephew, or it was a fake opening all along... so what? You still don't have a job and must keep looking.

Why do some people feel this need to deeply analyze and understand and explain away every setback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,030 posts, read 3,217,456 times
Reputation: 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"


What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
The REAL answer is "Hey we found a useful idiot who is willing to take less and work more for it" That's what they mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 PM
 
44 posts, read 7,821 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I wish they'd stop posting these. They are a waste of everyone's time.
Write to your congressman to reverse Equal Employment Opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top